Tracks

  • Mark Weston
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 29, 2010
      Have a look to the packaging industry.  The metal and plastic conveyors used in packaging machines can serve perfectly as tank treads.  I managed to pick up some stainless steel table chain from a scrapyard meant for a packaging machine and it's perfect.    Good luck.

      Mark Weston

    • Fernando LM Pereira
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 29, 2010

        Thanks Mark.  In line with what you wrote I’m also looking at companies like MISUMI  (http://www.misumi-ec.com/top/) as possible suppliers for parts like chains, belts and others, from which I can eventually build/assemble a “track solution”.

        BTW, do you know any other companies like MISUMI? Companies that distribute or resell mechanical components.

        Regards,

        LM

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 29, 2010
          Don't restrict yourself to just packaging equipment.

          Food processing equipment has many nice parts. The tracks on Johny 5 were a off the shelf plastic conveyor chain. Being plastic it's light weight and wont mar delicate floors. It can be purchased in widths from 2" to 12". Also it's cheap compared to metal and it wont rust.

          "What the detractors and critics of electric vehicles
          have been saying for years, is true. The electric
          vehicle is not for everybody, given the limited range
          it can only meet the needs of 90% of the population."

          Ed Begley Jr.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 29, 2010

            Thanks Randy. Do you have any particular supplier in mind. Suggestions are welcome.

            Regards

            Have a look to the packaging industry. The metal and plastic conveyors used in packaging machines can serve perfectly as tank treads. I managed to pick up some stainless steel table chain from a scrapyard meant for a packaging machine and it's perfect. Good luck. Mark Weston

          • Randy Carter