RE: [SeattleRobotics] mind storms parts?

  • Rob Purdy
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 7, 2010
        Yup that's basically what I'm after. Thr IR tower or another option. So just to make sure here you basically by pass the IR with a direct connect serial interface?  That would work.

      Rob

      To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
      From: peterbalch@...
      Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 10:52:44 +0100
      Subject: Re: [SeattleRobotics] mind storms parts?

      Are you wanting the IR tower for the first mindstorms? I published a hack for a replacement many years ago. There are several copies of it on the web. Here's a typical one:

      I think there are other sites around that have extended the idea.

      I could send photos of how a stereo jack socket fits neatly in the brick.

      Peter

    • Rob Purdy
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 7, 2010
        Ok, I think Peter has a solution that will get me going on the hardware.

         My programming skills are pretty close to non existiant which is why this had some appeal.  Hopefully I'll be able to make use of it after I out grow the  basic system.

        Thanks, Rob

        To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
        From: wiml@...
        Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 00:35:34 -0700

        On 6/6/10 8:15 PM, Rob Purdy wrote:
        > A friend recently gave me his collection of lego's. With it was the
        > Mindstorms RIS. Unfortunatly like any large lego collection it's missing
        > a part or 2.
        >
        > I'm in need if the IR progrmmer or a good hack in place of it?
        > I'm also missing the S/W Disc.

        The NQC software <http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/nqc/> might work as a
        replacement for the software. Sounds like you'll still need the IR
        doohickey though.

      • Mark Kenworthy
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 7, 2010

          Yes, it is compatible, but you need to load the new firmware.  The nice thing about the 1.0 module is that it can take external power, something that was removed later as a cost savings.

          I’ll also add my vote to using the NQC (and the associated BrickX Command Center ) for programming.  The visual programming system with the RCX was quite limiting.  Lego did a much better job with the NXT visual programming system, but the C-like languages provide much more capability, and they are free (NQC for the RCX and NXC for the NXT).

          Mark

          From: get_imaginary@ yahoo.com
          Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 20:37:35 -0700

          I should add that we recently downloaded the cd contents from piratebay. Details should be in the group's message section.

          - Robin

        • Dennis Clark
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 7, 2010
            ... Which he kindly made available to me. You can check bricklink.com and of course lugnet.com and eBay. There are other places. With the 2.0 software you can use the USB tower as well.

            DLC

            --
            Dennis Clark
            While traveling

            On Jun 6, 2010, at 9:37 PM, Robin Hewitt <get_imaginary@...> wrote:

            I should add that we recently downloaded the cd contents from piratebay. Details should be in the group's message section.

            - Robin

              A friend recently gave me his collection of lego's.  With it was the Mindstorms RIS. Unfortunatly like any large lego collection it's missing a part or 2.

            I'm in need if the IR progrmmer or a good hack in place of it?

            I'm also missing the S/W Disc.

            Any leads or ideas would be appreciated.

            Thanks Rob

          • Dennis Clark
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 7, 2010
              No problem. Download the new firmware and you'll have an RIS 2.0.

              DLC
              --
              Dennis Clark
              While traveling

              To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
              From: get_imaginary@...
              Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 20:37:35 -0700

              I should add that we recently downloaded the cd contents from piratebay. Details should be in the group's message section.

              - Robin

            • Robin Hewitt
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 7, 2010
                If you decide to use something other than Logo, you might want to look at Interactive C, the programming system that's used on the HandiBoard. Almost no one seems to know there's a version of this for the RCX. With interactive programming (as in IC) you talk directly to the brick and it talks back. No need to write a whole program to see how a sensor behaves or what effect a code snippet has. The downside is that once you've programmed interactively, you will never want to program robots any other way.

                Some folks will tell you that IC doesn't support reading encoders on the RCX and that you have to use NQC for that. Not true. If anyone's interested, I'd be glad to post the IC code for reading encoders that I used on my legos line follower. Since that bot won our line following contest when I entered it, it must have been working ;-)

                - Robin

                To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
                From: wiml@...
                Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 00:35:34 -0700

                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 7, 2010
                  Do I get the new FW from Lego or some place else?

                  To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 7, 2010
                    It'll come in the install image that Robin has told you about. Robin's image is an ISO image so you'll need to use your favorite ISO creation tool to create the install CD.

                    DLC
                    --
                    Dennis Clark
                    While traveling

                    To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 14, 2010
                      Is anyone on the list doing development for the iPhone or iPad?
                      -Bob Crichton
                    • Peter Balch
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 14, 2010
                        > Is anyone on the list doing development for the iPhone or iPad?

                        Yes, me.

                        Both.

                        Peter
                      • Alan Marconett
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 14, 2010
                          3GS, 4GS?

                          I have the Blackfin camera and WiFi board to put on a Micromouse, and as I'm
                          getting a 4GS 'phone, I'd like to get something like Mobiscope with limited
                          controls working on it. (A little different for a Mouse, but could be
                          interesting). Just having the camera working while the Mouse was navigation
                          the maze on it's own would be a treat!

                          http://www.mobiscope.com/

                          What development software (SDK?) is available, and how big a job is it?
                          Probably nothing I could tackle now.

                          Alan KM6VV

                        • Peter Balch
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 14, 2010
                            Alan

                            I don't follow exactly what is is you have in mind.

                            Am I right? There will be a camera on the robot and you'll watch it on an
                            iPhone/iPad. The camera will send to the iPhone via WiFi.

                            I haven't done anything like that but I guess a web search might throw
                            something up.

                            > http://www.mobiscope.com/

                            How does that work? A webcam is connected to a PC. The PC talks to a server.
                            The server shows the video over the web on a web page on your iPhone? Is
                            that right? So you need a box that can connect a webcam to the web so the
                            server can see it? Well, of course, such boxes already exist.

                            But I guess you'd like to cut out the Mobiscope server and do it all locally
                            over WiFi?

                            It may be possible but, remember, the iPhone SDK isolates you in a sandbox.
                            It disallows all sorts of things. Like even seeing the filing system.

                            Jailbroken iPhones are a lot more capable but I don't know anything about
                            that. I want to write apps for the iStore.

                            > What development software (SDK?) is available, and how big a job is it?

                            The SDK is available free from the apple developers site. It runs on a Mac.
                            You can write programs and run them on a simulator. In order to then
                            download them and run them on an iPhone, you have to pay Apple to become a
                            developer ($50 or $100 - I'm not sure of the current price). It used to take
                            forever to get approved. Maybe it's faster now but there are tales that it's
                            even slower.

                            The SDK is rubbish. To do the simplest things takes forever. If you're used
                            to a good quality modern SDK, it's like going back to the 80s. The language
                            is a bizarre mixture of C, Objective-C and C++. There are two or three ways
                            of doing most things and it's rarely obvious which is the best. Many of the
                            API calls allocate memory but it's often very hard to know whose
                            responsibility it is to deallocate it. Memory leaks are a big problem.

                            Maybe I'm biased but I'm used to Delphi which is a dream to use. (It must be
                            10 years since I had a memory leak.) I went through one of the tutorial
                            videos where a competent programmer worked at normal speed to write a "Hello
                            World" app - an EditBox, a Button and a Label. The video lasted almost 20
                            minutes! He wasn't stopping to explain - just working through all the steps.
                            I tried it in Delphi - the same app took 43 seconds. I get a pain in the
                            stomach everytime I sit down at the Mac.

                            You then have to go through a mindbendingly complex and frustrating sequence
                            to get various certificates from Apple in order to "provision" your
                            iPhone/app so they'll work together. It can take days or weeks to work out
                            how to do it. Read some of the developers' blogs. People are tearing their
                            hair out. The error messages that get thrown up are unhelpful and often
                            misleading.

                            Microsoft are talking making about an iPhone/iPad SDK but it's likely that
                            Apple are determined to stomp on any development path that doesn't involve
                            their own SDK. (What they're actually worried about is anyone bypassing the
                            iStore. Hence the No Flash rule.)

                            So I'd say that unless you see being an iPhone developer as a career path,
                            it's probably not a wise investment of your time. Does anyone know if
                            Android is better?

                            On the other hand, the iPad is a beautiful machine.

                            Peter
                          • Alan Marconett
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 14, 2010
                              Hi Peter,

                              Just basically on the wish list. No career plans, and I don't own a Mac
                              (forgot about that!). Oh well.

                              Mobiscope seemed to have an app that would connect to a WiFi camera, or
                              maybe I read too much into it. I don't want to be going through a PC. The
                              Blackfin camera does WiFi, and I have been able to set up a small WiFi net,
                              and connect to it with the Blackfin and my notebook computer. I'd then
                              heard of phones being able view web cams, and thought perhaps a viewer for
                              the Blackfin's webpage could be developed. I'm OK with something on a PC
                              for now, and there's a chance I can add my controls.

                              RoboRealm might be a way to go. Blackfin comes with a license. I need to
                              explore it more.

                              The SDK does sound like much too much to put up with, and difficult to
                              become a developer, unless one's really going to make it a career, as you
                              attest.

                              Thanks!

                              Alan