the walkingDude and bi-ped walking

  • robotMaker
    Message 1 of 36 , Apr 9 5:05 PM

      If anyone is interested in bi-ped walking, I uploaded thirty something image files to an Image hosting website, and the walkingDude00_MustReadMe.html(converted from the text version), to the HBRC Google Groups website that explains the uploaded images. I also copied a couple of Image files from the thirty something image files to the HBRC Google Groups website. Read the walkingDude00_MustReadMe.html to view all the image files by just clicking on the links.

      The Image hosting website only accepts image files, but it was a good fit for this post. Unfortunately, the website does not accept video files, but when the time comes for the video files, a robotics website or YouTube will be a good place to post them, depending on how big the files will be.

      On the topic of bi-ped walking, whenever I ask anyone, "do we bend at the ankles when we walk?", I always get the same general answer, "of course, it's common knowledge that we bend at the ankles, or we couldn't walk". So I might be posting something that everybody already knows to be common knowledge.

      The walkingDude00_MustReadMe.html and a some image files are here:

      http://groups.google.com/group/hbrobotics/files

    • David Buckley
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 16 12:01 PM
        If we all did it the same way nothing would ever change!
        David

        From: David Buckley <david@davidbuckley. net>
        To: SeattleRobotics@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Friday, April 16, 2010, 10:04 AM

        Well my concern is that you will waste your time on something which won't work or may just work with a struggle. I have been known to be wrong. I was wrong once in 1989 when I said the Cardiff Biped wouldn't walk but I reckoned without Paul Channon, its creator.

        I would be very interested to see pictures of your big biped, even before it works. And I see why you were interested in the Shadow Biped.

        In general I think that providing the builder is honest, pictures of robots made that don't yet work or pictures of robots that didn't work together with the reason, are inspiring and informative.

        So many people seem to say they just moved onto something else, but it is not a reason its an excuse for not saying it didn't work. Whereas 'it didn't work because ....' can be really helpful.

        Too many robots are hyped beyond belief, M2 and from 1961 M7 are two which spring to mind.

        David

        From: David Buckley <david@davidbuckley. net>
        To: SeattleRobotics@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Thursday, April 15, 2010, 2:32 AM

        Well I suppose we see what we see. Good luck with the project and keep the videos coming.

        From: oric_dan <oric_dan@yahoo. com>
        To: SeattleRobotics@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Sunday, April 11, 2010, 8:28 PM

        --- In SeattleRobotics@ yahoogroups. com, robotMaker <robotmeiker@ ...> wrote:

        > I also mentioned that the pictures are just some of thousands of pics that can found on the web of walking celebrities taken by the paparazzi. I could not post too many since then it would be impractical. I posted a few, such CameronD iaz walking, many pics combined into one picture. I don't understand why the paparazzi have to take so many pics of a celebrity when they're walking, they'll take about 20 pics just for one step. For me this is good, since I can see the fine details of walking, that we don't bend at the ankles when we walk, just the toes.

        Actually, this is not really correct. The most important
        picture of CD is #7 on row 2.

        http://img20. imagevenue. com/img.php? image\
        =72504_walkingDude2 0_CameronDiazToG ym_122_173lo. jpg

        There you can see that her feet are perfectly flat,
        and her right ankle is bent forward about 15-20 deg
        while her left ankle is bent backwards by the same
        amount.

        Then compare image #7 to #9 and #10, and you can see
        the entire seguence of ankle bends during a complete
        step. Both ankles are at right-angle in #9 only,
        during the transition between steps.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to: