Re: [SeattleRobotics] Re: Reading Infrared sensor without microcontroller

  • David Buckley
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 31, 2010
      This whole conversation sounds rather crazy. It seems as is if your school wants you to come up with a ground breaking advanced design without giving you the most rudimentary knowledge of even basic electronics with which you could begin to understand the terminology let alone DESIGN anything. Cutting and pasting from Wikipedia and various IEEE papers will give you an impressive looking document only to those who know nothing about the subject. The most apt description for such a style of 'research' is 'Cargo Cult' and the whole process other than getting good grades and knowing who to ask will serve you little for the future other than reinforcing the mistaken idea prevalent in modern schooling that once you can describe something with sufficient references you automatically have an understanding. This approach works well for subjects such as history which is a collection of 'facts' about what happened without any underlying the rational of why. When I was a child looking at drawings of spaceships I remember asking 'if we can draw them why can't we make them. Well you can describe and paint sunsets until you are blue in the face but it won't help the least in the task of making a sunset.
      David

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1 9:57 AM
        Thank you for your concern. At first I felt insulted by your comments but not fully understanding your intentions, I will just accept that you don't know my background, degrees, certifications or accomplishments.

        >you to come up with a ground breaking advanced design

        Thank you. The design is my idea. It's actually not that difficult if you understand VLSI to the degree that I do.

        But don't loose faith in our education system. It has taught me enough to stay away from making sunsets.
      • David Buckley
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1 11:28 AM
          Ah, I thought it was advice to a 16 year old, my mistake, I apologise.