Re: [SeattleRobotics] Re: [slightly OT] pdf indexer

  • don clay
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 10, 2010
      Think of it as an intellectual challenge. <g>

      From: Dan

      > Hope springs eternal that one needn't have to reinvent the wheel for
      > every desire.

    • oric_dan
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 10, 2010
        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "don clay" <donclay@...> wrote:

        > Think of it as an intellectual challenge. <g>

        Yeah, I invented a new acronym just for you.

        TAOS-RTWYA = the art of software, reinvent the wheel yet again.

        > From: Dan
        >
        > > Hope springs eternal that one needn't have to reinvent the wheel for
        > > every desire.

      • David Buckley
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 10, 2010
          The problem is Dan that most people who say they have a lot of information probably only have about 4 PDFs, 6 HTML pages and 30 images, so they can never see the need. Probably why most image browsers have trouble when they are faced with over 200 images and as for 2000 images well.......
          If this wasn't the case browsers which would scan PDF titles and abstracts would be 10 a penny.
          When I did the Electric conversion for the Shadow Hand, Shadow said 'oh we use ProDesktop it is really good'. However it couldn't cope with the forearm assembly and even with Thor
          I had to leave out all the axle pins otherwise PD started to forget mating conditions in the model.
          So I bet it isn't a case of reinventing the wheel, nobody else has (or can) seen a need for it.
          David

          > Think of it as an intellectual challenge. <g>

          Yeah, I invented a new acronym just for you.

          TAOS-RTWYA = the art of software, reinvent the wheel yet again.

          > From: Dan
          >
          > > Hope springs eternal that one needn't have to reinvent the wheel for
          > > every desire.

        • oric_dan
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 10, 2010
            --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "David Buckley" <david@...> wrote:

            > The problem is Dan that most people who say they have a lot of information probably only have about 4 PDFs, 6 HTML pages and 30 images, so they can never see the need. Probably why most image browsers have trouble when they are faced with over 200 images and as for 2000 images well.......
            > If this wasn't the case browsers which would scan PDF titles and abstracts would be 10 a penny.
            > When I did the Electric conversion for the Shadow Hand, Shadow said 'oh we use ProDesktop it is really good'. However it couldn't cope with the forearm assembly and even with Thor

            Don't know PD, but when I wrote my own robot GUI using .NET [as don alluded to], I made it from the getgo so it could control 8 robots simultaneously. Could have been more just as easily - once you build the original object.

            > http://www.davidbuckley.net/DB/sidetable/ThorAssy.jpg

            Interesting variation on Loki design. How facile is Thor walking in comparison to Loki?

            > I had to leave out all the axle pins otherwise PD started to forget mating conditions in the model.
            > So I bet it isn't a case of reinventing the wheel, nobody else has (or can) seen a need for it.
            > David

            I can't be the only one [besides you] with a zillion PDF files.

          • David Buckley
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 10, 2010
              I haven't built Thor, it is one of those designs which will not leave me alone and when learning PD I built the 3D model.
              It should work using standard rather than high torque servos but the overlapping feet are still a mistake. I guess one day though I may just build it but there is so much else to do.

              Not the only one but I would be surprised if there were more than a couple of hundred world wide, possibly excluding those in Universities with research staff to do the looking.

              David

              > The problem is Dan that most people who say they have a lot of information probably only have about 4 PDFs, 6 HTML pages and 30 images, so they can never see the need. Probably why most image browsers have trouble when they are faced with over 200 images and as for 2000 images well.......
              > If this wasn't the case browsers which would scan PDF titles and abstracts would be 10 a penny.
              > When I did the Electric conversion for the Shadow Hand, Shadow said 'oh we use ProDesktop it is really good'. However it couldn't cope with the forearm assembly and even with Thor

              Don't know PD, but when I wrote my own robot GUI using .NET [as don alluded to], I made it from the getgo so it could control 8 robots simultaneously. Could have been more just as easily - once you build the original object.

              > http://www.davidbuc kley.net/ DB/sidetable/ ThorAssy. jpg

              Interesting variation on Loki design. How facile is Thor walking in comparison to Loki?

              > I had to leave out all the axle pins otherwise PD started to forget mating conditions in the model.
              > So I bet it isn't a case of reinventing the wheel, nobody else has (or can) seen a need for it.
              > David

              I can't be the only one [besides you] with a zillion PDF files.

            • "Dairyo Gokan(後神大陵)"
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 11, 2010
                Hi all,

                Probably, a freeware named "Namazu" will be useful.

                http://www.namazu.org/windows/
                http://www.namazu.org/stable/

                Sorry, since I have not have used it, then I don't know in detail.
                but, it seems surely possible. Detail is here, but Japanese language.

                http://www10.plala.or.jp/miyazawa/namazu/

                Namazu for Windows is available here. Lastest version seems 2.0.20.

                - Archive(Compiled binary)
                http://www.akaneiro.jp/public/nmz2.0.20.001-win32.zip
                - Signature
                http://www.akaneiro.jp/public/nmz2.0.20.001-win32.zip.sig
                - MD5
                http://www.akaneiro.jp/public/nmz2.0.20.001-win32.zip.md5
                (md5sum: 67ff54bccc98296fd8e18e896cba701a)
                - SHA1
                http://www.akaneiro.jp/public/nmz2.0.20.001-win32.zip.sha1
                (sha1sum: 6e3d399c33f0d513e5b40c11e0c8f4be641ccabf)

                Please do not use Namazu 2.0.13 or earlier, since incuding security
                hole (Cross Site Scripting).

                To inclde PDF files to search target of "Namazu", it is necessary
                to use the program "pdftotext" which is included "xpdf" package.

                http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/
                ftp://ftp.foolabs.com/pub/xpdf/xpdf-3.00-win32.zip

                A GUI based Windows Application for Namazu, named "search-s for Namazu"
                also available, and here. But it seems that dialog and messages are
                not available in English.

                Web site: .................... http://www.syam.net/library/search-s/
                Stable exe /w Installer : .... http://www.syam.net/library/archive/srchs092.exe
                Source by Delphi 5: .......... http://www.syam.net/library/archive/srchs092src.lzh
                Beta exe ..................... http://www.syam.net/library/archive/srchs093beta-0421.lzh
                Beta source by Delphi 7: ..... http://www.syam.net/library/archive/srchs093beta-0421src.lzh

                Since "search-s for Namazu" is a client application, "Namazu for Windowws"
                must be installed.

                I hope this information is helpful.

                Dairyo Gokan

                oric_dan wrote:
                > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "David Buckley" <david@...> wrote:
                >> The problem is Dan that most people who say they have a lot of information probably only have about 4 PDFs, 6 HTML pages and 30 images, so they can never see the need. Probably why most image browsers have trouble when they are faced with over 200 images and as for 2000 images well.......
                >> If this wasn't the case browsers which would scan PDF titles and abstracts would be 10 a penny.
                >> When I did the Electric conversion for the Shadow Hand, Shadow said 'oh we use ProDesktop it is really good'. However it couldn't cope with the forearm assembly and even with Thor
                >>

                > Don't know PD, but when I wrote my own robot GUI using .NET [as don alluded to], I made it from the getgo so it could control 8 robots simultaneously. Could have been more just as easily - once you build the original object.
                >

                >> http://www.davidbuckley.net/DB/sidetable/ThorAssy.jpg
                >

                > Interesting variation on Loki design. How facile is Thor walking in comparison to Loki?
                >

                >> I had to leave out all the axle pins otherwise PD started to forget mating conditions in the model.
                >> So I bet it isn't a case of reinventing the wheel, nobody else has (or can) seen a need for it.
                >> David
                >>

                > I can't be the only one [besides you] with a zillion PDF files.

              • David Buckley
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 11, 2010

                  Interesting but it is another search engine, great for finding words if you know what the words are. What I think Dan (and myself too) is looking for is something which will extract representational text from documents which can then be read to see the gist of the papers.
                  David

                  oric_dan wrote:
                  > --- In SeattleRobotics@ yahoogroups. com, "David Buckley" <david@...> wrote:
                  >> The problem is Dan that most people who say they have a lot of information probably only have about 4 PDFs, 6 HTML pages and 30 images, so they can never see the need. Probably why most image browsers have trouble when they are faced with over 200 images and as for 2000 images well.......
                  >> If this wasn't the case browsers which would scan PDF titles and abstracts would be 10 a penny.
                  >> When I did the Electric conversion for the Shadow Hand, Shadow said 'oh we use ProDesktop it is really good'. However it couldn't cope with the forearm assembly and even with Thor
                  >>

                  > Don't know PD, but when I wrote my own robot GUI using .NET [as don alluded to], I made it from the getgo so it could control 8 robots simultaneously. Could have been more just as easily - once you build the original object.
                  >

                  >> http://www.davidbuc kley.net/ DB/sidetable/ ThorAssy. jpg
                  >

                  > Interesting variation on Loki design. How facile is Thor walking in comparison to Loki?
                  >

                  >> I had to leave out all the axle pins otherwise PD started to forget mating conditions in the model.
                  >> So I bet it isn't a case of reinventing the wheel, nobody else has (or can) seen a need for it.
                  >> David
                  >>

                  > I can't be the only one [besides you] with a zillion PDF files.

                • oric_dan
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 11, 2010
                    --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "David Buckley" <david@...> wrote:

                    > Interesting but it is another search engine, great for finding words if you know what the words are. What I think Dan (and myself too) is looking for is something which will extract representational text from documents which can then be read to see the gist of the papers.
                    > David

                    I found a half-baked way to do what I described, using PDF Index Assistant referenced in my original post.

                    http://www.index-pdf.com/solutions/other-pdf-search-tools.htm

                    I downloaded the trial version. Basically you can select a directory and a keyword to search. You can also indicate for it to include in the output index file a certain #characters "before" and after the keyword.

                    Therefore, if you use the author's name as the keyword and tell it to include a few dozen prior chars, then search results for the pdf file will include the title of the paper.

                    Next, you open the output index file, and the program displays all of the PDF files which contain the keyword.

                    Then you can click on each PDF file shown, and it will show the search results, which will typically contain multiple items with the author's name, but one of these will have the title.

                    Very half-baked, but it works, and is slightly easier and faster than opening each file individually in succession in order to find the title.

                    However, I'll keep looking for a streamlined program. If you could simply as for display of the first few lines of the PDF file, you'd get the title on most cases.
                  • David Buckley
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 11, 2010
                      As well as a PDF scanner what I would find useful is a program for searching images.
                      UT-mu "Mighty" has just had an entry on Plastic Pals. So where had I filed a previous photo?
                      Is there a program which allows me to take a colour sample from a photo and which will then go and search for images with a similar colour. As it is I had to do it by eye but a colour search would be really good. And a search with ANDs and ORs would be really really good, is there anything out there?
                      David

                    • oric_dan
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 11, 2010
                        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "David Buckley" <david@...> wrote:

                        > As well as a PDF scanner what I would find useful is a program for searching images.
                        > UT-mu "Mighty" has just had an entry on Plastic Pals. So where had I >filed a previous photo?
                        > Is there a program which allows me to take a colour sample from a photo and which will then go and search for images with a similar colour. As it is I had to do it by eye but a colour search would be really good. And a search with ANDs and ORs would be really really good, is there anything out there?
                        > David

                        I don't know if image searching has gotten to that level of sophistication as yet. You can do a generic search on keywords vis-aviz images. Eg,

                        http://images.google.com/images?&q=UT-mu+%22Mighty%22
                      • oric_dan
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 12, 2010
                          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "oric_dan" <oric_dan@...> wrote:

                          > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "David Buckley" <david@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > As well as a PDF scanner what I would find useful is a program for searching images.
                          > > UT-mu "Mighty" has just had an entry on Plastic Pals. So where had I >filed a previous photo?
                          > > Is there a program which allows me to take a colour sample from a photo and which will then go and search for images with a similar colour. As it is I had to do it by eye but a colour search would be really good. And a search with ANDs and ORs would be really really good, is there anything out there?
                          > > David
                          > >

                          > I don't know if image searching has gotten to that level of sophistication as yet. You can do a generic search on keywords vis-aviz images. Eg,
                          >
                          > http://images.google.com/images?&q=UT-mu+%22Mighty%22

                          David, BTW, I noticed this link on that page, may be of some interest ...

                          http://sites.google.com/site/luisbeck007/additional-technology1
                        • David Buckley
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 12, 2010
                            Yes but the original photo was called 'robot' or something not findable but I knew it was a sort of lilac pink.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 12, 2010
                              Thanks for that link, I remember going there some time ago but I don't remember all the images being there.
                              What is it that stops IE6 from saving pages when it is almost done? FF has no such problems! Ah, I know M$.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 12, 2010
                                David,

                                I saw some freeware/shareware already existing on web. These programs
                                will find similar (not completely bit-by-bit matching, but looks like
                                as same) images and pictures from your specified folder.

                                Some application can identify as similar images, which are saved
                                in different image format (exp. JPG and GIF).

                                I'll put web links for some of them here. Will be useful as reminder
                                for myself in future. (No dependency in listed order)

                                PixScan(free/share)
                                http://www.slunecnice.cz/product/PixScan-Lite/

                                imagedupeless(share)
                                http://www.imagedupeless.com/en/index.html

                                Unique Filer(free)
                                http://www.uniquefiler.com/

                                GImageView(free)
                                http://gtkmmviewer.sourceforge.net/index.html.en
                                * for X-window, but you can build for windows /w Cygwin & gtk+

                                There may be OpenCV related projects, too. OpenCV is open source image
                                processing C/C++ library for Linux/Windows.

                                http://opencvlibrary.sourceforge.net/

                                Dairyo Gokan

                                David Buckley wrote:

                                > As well as a PDF scanner what I would find useful is a program for
                                > searching images.
                                > UT-mu "Mighty" has just had an entry on Plastic Pals. So where had I
                                > filed a previous photo?
                                > Is there a program which allows me to take a colour sample from a photo
                                > and which will then go and search for images with a similar colour. As
                                > it is I had to do it by eye but a colour search would be really good.
                                > And a search with ANDs and ORs would be really really good, is there
                                > anything out there?
                                > David

                              • David Buckley
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 12, 2010

                                  Dairyo
                                  Thank you, excellent, I will have a play.

                                  David Buckley wrote:

                                  > As well as a PDF scanner what I would find useful is a program for
                                  > searching images.
                                  > UT-mu "Mighty" has just had an entry on Plastic Pals. So where had I
                                  > filed a previous photo?
                                  > Is there a program which allows me to take a colour sample from a photo
                                  > and which will then go and search for images with a similar colour. As
                                  > it is I had to do it by eye but a colour search would be really good.
                                  > And a search with ANDs and ORs would be really really good, is there
                                  > anything out there?
                                  > David

                                • oric_dan
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 13, 2010
                                    --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "David Buckley" <david@...> wrote:

                                    > Dairyo
                                    > Thank you, excellent, I will have a play.
                                    > David

                                    FWIW, I am still trying to find a utility to easily extract PDF file titles, as originally described. Maybe I can find a utility that will allow one to extract a certain numbered page. ???

                                    Speaking of TAOS-BTCRTW = the art of s.w. being to continually reinvent the wheel, the following site indicates there are 170 free internet search engines.

                                    http://searchtools.com/analysis/free-search-\
                                    engine-comparison.html

                                    Bottom of the following page has a #of PDF indexers that I am checking out to see if any of them actually does what I am after. Geez, do these guys JADTSDT = just all do the same darn thing?

                                    http://www.searchtools.com/info/pdf.html