Re: [SeattleRobotics] OT: computer expert question

  • Giuseppe Marullo
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31 11:15 PM
      Thanks for the feedback, there are a lot of NAS on the market for home
      usage, but either they lack performance (100FE vs gigabit and/or poor
      transfer rate) or the price is way too high.
      QNAP is not cheap but performance seems good, and it has iscsi
      implementation.

      >If you're sensitive to cost, you can probably set something up cheaper
      >using one of the free packages, but for me I didn't have any spare

      Yes, but I decided long ago to prefer fanless stuff for home. A fanless
      pc will cost more, and probably I will end with a screwed system,
      probably broken by me hacking packages with my data inside. Much better
      a dedicated machine for this, data will be safer (from me!).

      My actual rig:
      Fritz 7270 access point
      http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_WLAN_7270/index.php
      - Probably the richest feature set available in the world
      Proventia GX3002
      http://www-935.ibm.com/services/us/index.wss/offering/iss/a1030585 (it
      protect the pppoe link, actually inactive because I use the internal
      modem of the Fritz)
      Catalyst (but most of the time is off, huge noise) and a netgear gigabit
      switch
      Skype Phone RTX3088 http://dualphone.net/DUALphone_3088_for_Skype-789.aspx

      If you know a fanless cheap gigabit vlan capable switch drop me a note...

      Giuseppe
    • Randy Carter
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
        Thanks.

        I wish I had known the drive copy wasn't going to work on Thursday. I spent the entire day trying to carry the OS installation over. Everything I tried required 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours etc. It added up!

        What I did to complete the upgrade was use the backup function that came with XP to an external USB hard drive without the IDE drives hooked up (they had BIOS priority). Part of the backup was making an Automated System Recovery (ASR) floppy. After removing the malfunctioning RAID array and hooking up the new IDE hard disk I ran the Dell OS reinstall disk. During the start up it had an option to use the ASR. It installed the original XP (before SP1) then the ASR took over and took the SP3 upgrade and everything else off the USB disk and put it back (32Gb). Only the Norton Anti-virus complained and it was smart enough to provide the help required to fix the problem.

        Now the machine is much quieter, those RAID drives never stopped doing something. The computer boots faster and the cursor no longer jumps to random places on the screen.

        I just thought I would provide and update. And again Thank You.

        "What the detractors and critics of electric vehicles
        have been saying for years, is true. The electric
        vehicle is not for everybody, given the limited range
        it can only meet the needs of 90% of the population."

        Ed Begley Jr.