Re: [SeattleRobotics] OT: computer expert question

  • Dave Hylands
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2009
      Hi Giuseppe,

      > I would like to buy a couple of QNAP for home usage, I would like to
      > know how do you use it and what is your experience. I need to use as
      > main backup NAS, to play SAN with iscsi and implement the encrypted
      > remote replication.

      I primarily use it as a backup device for my linux machine, and other
      computers around the house.

      Under linux, I mount it using NFS and use the rsnapshot utility for
      creating my backups. It also supports Samba (for the windows
      machines). There are a bunch of other features that I don't currently
      use (web server, torrent downloader, etc).

      > There are a lot of other options (like www.openfiler.com, www.drbd.org
      > and so on up to emc...) but I would like something always up with
      > minimum noise possible, qnap seems to fit the bill.

      It's pretty quiet. The fans are variable speed and only run when they
      need to. After a bit of inactivity, the drives are spun down as well,
      and when you go to access the data, it spins them up again. Right now,
      it's 27C in my office, so I can hear the fans, but normally (when its
      around 20C) I can only just barely hear them.

      The thing I liked is that it was pretty much plug and play. Shove the
      drives in, power it up and away it goes. I don't remember if I needed
      a windows machine to do any setup or not. It has a web browser
      interface for all of the configuration stuff. I think it may have
      needed a windows machine to do firmware updates.

      If you're sensitive to cost, you can probably set something up cheaper
      using one of the free packages, but for me I didn't have any spare
      time to mess around with stuff, so the plug and play was really nice.

      You can configure it to send you emails when stuff happens, which is
      how I found out one of the drives went bad.

      --
      Dave Hylands
      Shuswap, BC, Canada
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2009
        Thanks for the feedback, there are a lot of NAS on the market for home
        usage, but either they lack performance (100FE vs gigabit and/or poor
        transfer rate) or the price is way too high.
        QNAP is not cheap but performance seems good, and it has iscsi
        implementation.

        >If you're sensitive to cost, you can probably set something up cheaper
        >using one of the free packages, but for me I didn't have any spare

        Yes, but I decided long ago to prefer fanless stuff for home. A fanless
        pc will cost more, and probably I will end with a screwed system,
        probably broken by me hacking packages with my data inside. Much better
        a dedicated machine for this, data will be safer (from me!).

        My actual rig:
        Fritz 7270 access point
        http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_WLAN_7270/index.php
        - Probably the richest feature set available in the world
        Proventia GX3002
        http://www-935.ibm.com/services/us/index.wss/offering/iss/a1030585 (it
        protect the pppoe link, actually inactive because I use the internal
        modem of the Fritz)
        Catalyst (but most of the time is off, huge noise) and a netgear gigabit
        switch
        Skype Phone RTX3088 http://dualphone.net/DUALphone_3088_for_Skype-789.aspx

        If you know a fanless cheap gigabit vlan capable switch drop me a note...

        Giuseppe
      • Randy Carter
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
          Thanks.

          I wish I had known the drive copy wasn't going to work on Thursday. I spent the entire day trying to carry the OS installation over. Everything I tried required 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours etc. It added up!

          What I did to complete the upgrade was use the backup function that came with XP to an external USB hard drive without the IDE drives hooked up (they had BIOS priority). Part of the backup was making an Automated System Recovery (ASR) floppy. After removing the malfunctioning RAID array and hooking up the new IDE hard disk I ran the Dell OS reinstall disk. During the start up it had an option to use the ASR. It installed the original XP (before SP1) then the ASR took over and took the SP3 upgrade and everything else off the USB disk and put it back (32Gb). Only the Norton Anti-virus complained and it was smart enough to provide the help required to fix the problem.

          Now the machine is much quieter, those RAID drives never stopped doing something. The computer boots faster and the cursor no longer jumps to random places on the screen.

          I just thought I would provide and update. And again Thank You.

          "What the detractors and critics of electric vehicles
          have been saying for years, is true. The electric
          vehicle is not for everybody, given the limited range
          it can only meet the needs of 90% of the population."

          Ed Begley Jr.