board and schematic are not consistant

  • don clay
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27, 2009
      I am getting the error in the subject line of this email in eagle 5.6.

      I have started over on the pcb several times both before & after I began getting
      the error. In each case, I deleted the .brd file & then regenerated the pcb from
      the schematic.

      I have since gone away from the placement that I had initially. Now when I run
      ERC, it gives the error message and no detail.

      If I start a auto route, it brings back the old placement. When I stop the auto
      route & run ERC, it will tell me that all the connectors that I have since renamed
      are missing, but they are on the .brd file that I saved.

      How do I get rid of that initial placement permanently?

      How can I get back to square one and get the board & the schematic on the same
      level permanently?

      I've searched on the error & looked at some of the suggestions, but they don't
      address the point that I'm not able to get rid of the old placement.

      thanks.
    • Markus Lampert
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 27, 2009
        The only thing I can think of:
        Have you also deleted all backup copies of the board? They have an extension .b#0, .b#1, ...
        Also, is there a .brd file somewhere in your eagle paths with the same name?

        Hope this helps,
        Markus

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28, 2009
          Thanks, Markus. I had not deleted all the backup versions. I'll do that & then
          search to see if there are any other versions of the .brd anywhere else.

          From: Markus Lampert <markuslampert@...>

          > The only thing I can think of:
          > Have you also deleted all backup copies of the board? They have an
          > extension .b#0, .b#1, ... Also, is there a .brd file somewhere in your
          > eagle paths with the same name?
          >
          > Hope this helps,
          > Markus
        • Chris Baron
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 28, 2009
            There is an odd behavior you can get if you stop an autorouter job in
            the middle. It saves the old partial job and tries to restart it, like
            you say, with the old layout restored to the BRD. Make sure you have
            fully quit and exited all previous autorouter jobs.

            You could always copy and paste the schematic into a new file with a
            different name and gen the board from that if you don't have any layout
            you want to save.

            Note, I'm running v4.xx still so this advice may not apply to 5.6 but
            I've seen similar errors with the autorouter before.

            Chris
          • don clay
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 28, 2009
              Thanks, Chris.

              I'll try that right after I try deleting all the backup files.

              To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
              From: Chris Baron <chris@...>
              Date sent: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 12:15:51 -0700
              Subject: [SeattleRobotics] RE: board and schematic are not
              consistant
              Send reply to: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com

              > There is an odd behavior you can get if you stop an autorouter job in
              > the middle. It saves the old partial job and tries to restart it,
              > like you say, with the old layout restored to the BRD. Make sure you
              > have fully quit and exited all previous autorouter jobs.
              >
              > You could always copy and paste the schematic into a new file with a
              > different name and gen the board from that if you don't have any
              > layout you want to save.
              >
              > Note, I'm running v4.xx still so this advice may not apply to 5.6 but
              > I've seen similar errors with the autorouter before.
              >
              > Chris

            • don clay
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 28, 2009
                A follow up.

                I deleted all the backup files and tried the autorouter once again. It still brought
                the old placement up. So I allowed that placement to finish. Then I exited the
                board without saving.

                When the board was re-opened, the new placement was there & the autorouter
                ran without resorting to the old placement.

                So thanks again to both of you, Chris & Markus, for your suggestions.

                Now I have an issue routing to the 100 pin TQFP that needs to be researched. It
                routed on the old placement. It's showing an additional (red colored?) wire
                between all the pads. But that'll have to wait until tomorrow.

                thanks again.

                To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
                From: Chris Baron <chris@...>
                Date sent: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 12:15:51 -0700
                consistant
                Send reply to: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com

                > There is an odd behavior you can get if you stop an autorouter job in
                > the middle. It saves the old partial job and tries to restart it,
                > like you say, with the old layout restored to the BRD. Make sure you
                > have fully quit and exited all previous autorouter jobs.
                >
                > You could always copy and paste the schematic into a new file with a
                > different name and gen the board from that if you don't have any
                > layout you want to save.
                >
                > Note, I'm running v4.xx still so this advice may not apply to 5.6 but
                > I've seen similar errors with the autorouter before.
                >
                > Chris

              • Erik Knise
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 31, 2009
                  I had this problem one time when I had two identical parts on top of
                  each other and rotated one of them. In eagle if the parts are
                  touching and you move one, it draws a wire to keep the two connected,
                  so when I rotated it in the schematic, the pins all got connected to
                  each other. I deleted the second one, but all the junctions were
                  still there. It was quite frustrating.

                  --
                  Erik L. Knise
                  Pacific Shipping Company