Re: Test Bench Power Supply - 24V @ 10A+ ????

  • docel_bangalorerobotics
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 4, 2009
      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, sunil karki <sunil_tule@...> wrote:

      > hey!
      > ������ the LM337 will not do the job. U will need LM396 or LM196 with 10 amps loading capacity.

      Yes, Sunil!
      That was a typo...I actually meant LM338K @ 5A.

      We use 3 of them in parallel for our 15A reg supply to drive motors without problems. The LM396 wil do quite well too.

      The circuit is built with a reverse biased protection diode between the input & output pins.
      The Output pin is designed to dissipate 25A surge currents. The details are in the LM338k datasheet.
    • docel_bangalorerobotics
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 4, 2009
        ...and ofcourse, its easier still to use 2 x 12v SLA batteries in series.....
      • Alan Marconett
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 4, 2009

          If you’re just driving DC motors, then why the regulation?  We build up a lot of DC motor supplies for stepper and servo motors for CNC.  Big transformer, big cap, big bridge, and you’re there!

          Motors want the start-up serge capacity, so a regulated supply can actually work against you.

          I’ve actually taken nice modular DC power supplies with the regulator sections blown, and pulled off power directly from the caps.  Cheap way to get up and running.

          Alan  KM6VV

          _._,___