da Vinci Si on TV Grey's Anatomy

  • Alan Marconett
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 28 2:31 PM
      Looks like our da Vinci Surgical robot will be on TV!

      Alan KM6VV

      The shoot was extremely successful from our standpoint: the da Vinci is
      prominently displayed throughout the episode (thank goodness those logos
      were on the surgeon consoles) in an extremely positive light.

      We'll see what ends up on the editing room floor, but one of the Grey's
      video production team members commented that the episode looked like "a da
      Vinci commercial".

      The episode, which happens to be the season finale, is currently scheduled
      to air on May 14th. I'll keep everyone posted if that changes.

    • Robin
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 28 8:45 PM
        Cool...congratulations on that, Alan!

        For immediate gratification purposes, I looked on the corporate website and especially enjoyed this nifty video of da Vinci being used to make origami:
        http://tinyurl.com/csfgtn

        At the end there's a penny for scale -- worth seeing :)

        Cheers,
        Robin

        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Marconett" <KM6VV@...> wrote:

        > Looks like our da Vinci Surgical robot will be on TV!
        >

        > Alan KM6VV
        >

        > The shoot was extremely successful from our standpoint: the da Vinci is
        > prominently displayed throughout the episode (thank goodness those logos
        > were on the surgeon consoles) in an extremely positive light.
        >

        > We'll see what ends up on the editing room floor, but one of the Grey's
        > video production team members commented that the episode looked like "a da
        > Vinci commercial".
        >

        > The episode, which happens to be the season finale, is currently scheduled
        > to air on May 14th. I'll keep everyone posted if that changes.

      • Cathy Saxton
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 29 1:32 PM
          Thanks for the link, Robin. That video is great!

          Cathy

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 29 3:00 PM
            Thanks for posting that Robin, I hadn't seen it. About all I can do is tie
            small knots!

            Alan KM6VV

          • Peter Balch
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 29 4:43 PM
              >> Looks like our da Vinci Surgical robot will be on TV!

              Very nice indeed.

              I take it that it's a waldo, not a robot? If that's a robot then it's not
              just very nice, it's stupendous.

              Peter
            • Alan Marconett
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 29 4:50 PM
                Hi Peter,

                A Waldo? I'm afraid I'm not taking your meaning! We call it a robot, but
                it's strictly driven (tele-operated?) by the surgeon (stereo HD vision),
                rather then being able to do something on its own (good thing)!

                Alan KM6VV

              • jgkjcasey
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 29 6:09 PM
                  RE: [SeattleRobotics] Re: da Vinci Si on TV Grey's Anatomy

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_manipulator

                  > We call it a robot, but it's strictly driven
                  > (tele-operated?) by the surgeon (stereo HD vision),
                  > rather then being able to do something on its own
                  > (good thing)!

                  Great piece of hardware but not really a robot in
                  the full sense of the meaning. I assume it has some
                  inbuilt smarts like anti shaking?

                  JohnC

                • Robin
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 29 8:12 PM
                    --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Marconett" <KM6VV@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for posting that Robin, I hadn't seen it. About all I can do is tie
                    > small knots!

                    Does that mean you won't be doing those open-heart surgeries afterall :)

                    Must be an interesting place to work!

                    - Robin
                  • David Buckley
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 29 8:22 PM
                      Hi Alan
                      http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Waldo
                      http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=waldo
                      David

                    • twcarroll@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 29 9:10 PM
                        The term, Waldo was from and old SciFi story about a guy (Waldo) who, for
                        some reason I don't remember, was disabled enough to have to use
                        teleoperated arms to manipulate things in ordinary life. I believe this story
                        pre-dates the 'hot cell' teleoperated arms used at Oak Ridge to handle radioactive
                        materials. "Waldoes' just became an early term for teleoperated robotic
                        arms.
                        Tom C.

                        Hi Peter,

                        A Waldo? I'm afraid I'm not taking your meaning! We call it a robot, but
                        it's strictly driven (tele-operated?) by the surgeon (stereo HD vision),
                        rather then being able to do something on its own (good thing)!

                        web. Get the Radio Toolbar!

                      • Alan Marconett
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 29 10:57 PM
                          Thanks for the URL. That's pretty close to what is being done with a
                          surgical robot. The da Vinci software does indeed provide what could be
                          called "filtering" to reduce shake. It also has a "magnify" mode to
                          enhance the fine motor controls of the surgeon.

                          Alan KM6VV

                          jgkjcasey wrote:
                          >> A Waldo? I'm afraid I'm not taking your meaning!
                          >>

                          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_manipulator
                          >

                          >> We call it a robot, but it's strictly driven
                          >> (tele-operated?) by the surgeon (stereo HD vision),
                          >> rather then being able to do something on its own
                          >> (good thing)!
                          >>

                          > Great piece of hardware but not really a robot in
                          > the full sense of the meaning. I assume it has some
                          > inbuilt smarts like anti shaking?
                          >
                          > JohnC

                        • Alan Marconett
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 29 11:06 PM
                            Yeah, you really wouldn't want ME to do your surgery!

                            Actually, I'm not sure they would call it open-heart surgery if a robot
                            like the da Vinci is used. They like the term "minimally invasive", as
                            the chest is not opened, only "ports" are cut to allow the canula to be
                            inserted into the body cavity.

                            Alan KM6VV

                            Robin wrote:
                            > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Marconett" <KM6VV@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> Thanks for posting that Robin, I hadn't seen it. About all I can do is tie
                            >> small knots!
                            >>

                            > Does that mean you won't be doing those open-heart surgeries afterall :)
                            >
                            > Must be an interesting place to work!
                            >
                            > - Robin

                          • Alan Marconett
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 29 11:14 PM
                              Thanks David, I've got it now. I hadn't had a chance to look it up. I
                              just got home from the HB Robotics club meeting!

                              Funny I never heard that reference before! I've herd "Where's Waldo?",
                              but I was sure that wasn't it.

                              Alan KM6VV

                              David Buckley wrote:
                              > Hi Alan
                              > http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Waldo
                              > http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=waldo
                              > David

                            • Alan Marconett
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 29 11:22 PM
                                I guess I missed that story. I do know (from my earliest recollections)
                                of the Oak Ridge arms. I wonder what they use now? I always wanted to
                                see them in action. That and that deep green pool!

                                Alan KM6VV

                                twcarroll@... wrote:

                                > The term, Waldo was from and old SciFi story about a guy (Waldo) who, for
                                > some reason I don't remember, was disabled enough to have to use
                                > teleoperated arms to manipulate things in ordinary life. I believe this story
                                > pre-dates the 'hot cell' teleoperated arms used at Oak Ridge to handle radioactive
                                > materials. "Waldoes' just became an early term for teleoperated robotic
                                > arms.
                                > Tom C.
                                >
                                > Hi Peter,
                                >
                                > A Waldo? I'm afraid I'm not taking your meaning! We call it a robot, but
                                > it's strictly driven (tele-operated?) by the surgeon (stereo HD vision),
                                > rather then being able to do something on its own (good thing)!

                              • Rich Chandler
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 29 11:28 PM
                                  At 12:10 AM -0400 4/30/09, twcarroll@... wrote:

                                  >The term, Waldo was from and old SciFi story about a guy (Waldo) who, for
                                  >some reason I don't remember, was disabled enough to have to use
                                  >teleoperated arms to manipulate things in ordinary life. I believe this
                                  >story
                                  >pre-dates the 'hot cell' teleoperated arms used at Oak Ridge to handle
                                  >radioactive
                                  > materials. "Waldoes' just became an early term for teleoperated robotic
                                  >arms.
                                  > Tom C.

                                  Correct. The term comes from the story Waldo by Robert A. Heinlein
                                  (Usually seen in the book "Waldo & Magic Inc.") Waldo was crippled by a
                                  disease that made him terribly weak, so he had to live in orbit (or the
                                  moon, I forget) and his teleoperated arms allowed him the strength and
                                  precision he didn't have in his frail body. This may have been one of the
                                  first appearances of such a device in fiction, and thus the term "Waldos"
                                  has stuck.
                                • Peter Balch
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 30 4:19 AM
                                    Alan

                                    > A Waldo? I'm afraid I'm not taking your meaning!

                                    Sorry. I guess the term isn't in as common use as I thought.

                                    Actually though, if you google "remote surgery waldo" you get quite a few
                                    hits.

                                    I even came across one referring to "waldo packets". I like that term. It
                                    suggested that packets for waldos should have high priority on the internet.

                                    Anyway, anyone who managed to make an "autonomous" robot that could fold
                                    paper that way would be a real hero.

                                    The nearest I can find have a somewhat more industrial feel:
                                    http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~robotics/movies.html
                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIFA_PiDn7k

                                    Peter
                                  • Alan Marconett
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 30 10:19 AM
                                      That's certainly an interesting story. Shame I never saw it.

                                      The exoskeleton "fork lift" That Sigourney Weaver drives in Alien must be
                                      the next step!

                                      Alan KM6VV

                                    • Alan Marconett
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 30 11:00 AM
                                        Hi Peter,

                                        I probably am too young to remember! (ha!)

                                        We DO have a lot of communications going on in the 'bot. Fiber optic cables
                                        link the surgeons console to the vision cart and the patient's cart.
                                        Internally "fire wire" handles a lot of communications between the master
                                        arms (manipulated by the surgeon) and the surgeon's console, and also
                                        between the slave arms and their controllers on the patient's cart. FPGAs
                                        everywhere!

                                        I did a little googling (sp), and found some interesting reading.

                                        Thanks,

                                        Alan KM6VV

                                        Alan KM6VV

                                      • Peter Balch
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 30 2:24 PM
                                          Alan

                                          > I probably am too young to remember! (ha!)

                                          It was a long time ago that I read it - but not quite as far back as 1959
                                          ;-).

                                          > We DO have a lot of communications going on in the 'bot.

                                          So when the operator was folding the paper crane, would they be getting
                                          force-feedback? Would they be able to feel the paper?

                                          Peter
                                        • Alan Marconett
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 30 2:54 PM
                                            Hi Peter,

                                            No force feedback! Very good visual feedback, but one can slam two
                                            instruments (end effectors) together without realizing it (beginners).

                                            Alan KM6VV