Spy Video ATV-360 at Target

  • Charlie Heath
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
      Hi Group,

      I was at Target today and noticed they have the "Spy Video ATV-360" on sale for $25 marked down from $100. This is a dual-stick radio controlled tank drive unit that carries a B&W video camera and microphone. Video and sound are radioed back to the controller to which a monitor (on glasses frames) and an earpiece are attached. Uses 6 x AA batteries in tank and in controller.

      Yep I bought one. Video quality is so-so and appears to be sensistive to IR. I cracked open the tank unit and inside are a couple of fairly beefy DC motors driving reduction gear sets. Motors (with noise caps) are driven by dual H-bridges created from TO-220 devices; can't tell if they are bipolar or MOSFET. There is a separate RF transmitter for the camera with a short internal antenna. I haven't cracked open the controller yet.

      All-in-all a nice unit and seems pretty hackable. Thought the group would be interested.

      And, yes, I will buy another one.

      Charlie

    • dan michaels
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Heath" <cwheath3@...>
        wrote:

        Does the sound output go "... click, click, click, click, etc ..."?
        IOW, a lot of background noise.

        > Hi Group,
        >
        > I was at Target today and noticed they have the "Spy Video ATV-360"
        on sale for $25 marked down from $100. This is a dual-stick radio
        controlled tank drive unit that carries a B&W video camera and
        microphone. Video and sound are radioed back to the controller to
        which a monitor (on glasses frames) and an earpiece are attached.
        Uses 6 x AA batteries in tank and in controller.

        > Yep I bought one. Video quality is so-so and appears to be
        sensistive to IR. I cracked open the tank unit and inside are a
        couple of fairly beefy DC motors driving reduction gear sets. Motors
        (with noise caps) are driven by dual H-bridges created from TO-220
        devices; can't tell if they are bipolar or MOSFET. There is a
        separate RF transmitter for the camera with a short internal antenna.
        I haven't cracked open the controller yet.

        > All-in-all a nice unit and seems pretty hackable. Thought the group
        would be interested.

        > And, yes, I will buy another one.
        >
        > Charlie

      • Charlie Heath