Fwd: Microchip to buy Atmel?

  • Cathy Saxton
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2008
      Bummer...

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Dan Strother
      Date: Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 12:28 AM
      Subject: [PARTS] Microchip to buy Atmel?
      To: PARTS@yahoogroups.com

      As someone who rather prefers the AVR architecture and tools support,
      I can't say I particularly like the sound of this..

      http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210605347

      - Dan S.

    • Erik Knise
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2008
        If the buyout does happen, what happens to the products?

        On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Cathy Saxton <cathysaxton@...> wrote:

        > Bummer...

        Erik L. Knise
        Pacific Shipping Company
        4707 Denver Ave S.
        Seattle WA, 98134
        Phone: 206-762-5007
        Fax: 206-762-7674
        Cell: 425-221-5078

      • Mike Payson
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2008
          I can't imagine that the AVR line would go away soon... That is the
          entire reason that Microchip wants them, and there are too many
          products that use the AVR chips to make it practical to just kill them
          off. It's possible that Microchip might scale back future development
          on either the AVR line or one of their own lines, but it's equally
          likely that both will remain active for years to come. According to
          the press release at
          <http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=2018&mcparam=en537485>
          the problems that Atmel faces aren't a result of their Microcontroller
          business, but due to poor performance of their automotive and ASIC
          divisions. That means that the AVR line itself remains a viable
          business, and if they can reduce costs by consolidating things like
          sales, marketing, product development and manufacturing, they should
          easily be able to support both lines in the current market.

          Course that's all speculation... Who knows what will really happen!