Motor Control Quesiton

  • m20n12m
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 25, 2008
      Hi everybody,

      I am new to the group and I had a question.

      I have an application where I need to make a motor do the following
      loop sequence.

      speed up - slow down - switch direction - repeat.

      I would like to be able to control the rate of acceleration if
      possible.

      I have found something called a programmable logic controller, but I
      feel that maybe it is more then I need...

      Is there a really easy way to do this that I just don't know about?

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks
      Matt
    • Triffid Hunter
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 25, 2008
        On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, m20n12m wrote:

        > Hi everybody,
        >
        > I am new to the group and I had a question.
        >
        > I have an application where I need to make a motor do the following
        > loop sequence.
        >
        > speed up - slow down - switch direction - repeat.
        >
        > I would like to be able to control the rate of acceleration if
        > possible.
        >
        > I have found something called a programmable logic controller, but I
        > feel that maybe it is more then I need...
        >
        > Is there a really easy way to do this that I just don't know about?

        ask google about "pwm" and "h-bridge". you will need a microcontroller
        such as an atmega168. If your motor takes less than a few amps, you could
        use an L298 or L293D h-bridge chip.
      • Alan Marconett
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 25, 2008
          Look up PID controllers. Microchip has the PICs you need, and app note
          696 tells you how to write a PID control that you can give profiles to
          do what you want. You'll need an H-Bridge chip like the LMD18201.

          Alan KM6VV

          m20n12m wrote:
          > Hi everybody,
          >
          > I am new to the group and I had a question.
          >
          > I have an application where I need to make a motor do the following
          > loop sequence.
          >
          > speed up - slow down - switch direction - repeat.
          >
          > I would like to be able to control the rate of acceleration if
          > possible.
          >
          > I have found something called a programmable logic controller, but I
          > feel that maybe it is more then I need...
          >
          > Is there a really easy way to do this that I just don't know about?
          >
          > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Matt

        • m20n12m
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 26, 2008
            Thanks for the help.

            I am afraid that I am way too novice to accomplish this. I have
            already learned like 12 new words just searching for what you guys
            told me.

            Unless there is somewhere that I can buy the circuit already built
            then I am S O L.

            Thanks anyways....

            --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Alan Marconett <KM6VV@...>
            wrote:

            > Look up PID controllers. Microchip has the PICs you need, and app
            note
            > 696 tells you how to write a PID control that you can give
            profiles to
            > do what you want. You'll need an H-Bridge chip like the LMD18201.
            >
            > Alan KM6VV
            >
            > m20n12m wrote:
            > > Hi everybody,
            > >
            > > I am new to the group and I had a question.
            > >
            > > I have an application where I need to make a motor do the
            following
            > > loop sequence.
            > >
            > > speed up - slow down - switch direction - repeat.
            > >
            > > I would like to be able to control the rate of acceleration if
            > > possible.
            > >
            > > I have found something called a programmable logic controller,
            but I
            > > feel that maybe it is more then I need...
            > >
            > > Is there a really easy way to do this that I just don't know
            about?

            > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > > Matt

          • Dennis Clark
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 26, 2008
              > Thanks for the help.
              >
              > I am afraid that I am way too novice to accomplish this. I have
              > already learned like 12 new words just searching for what you guys
              > told me.
              >
              > Unless there is somewhere that I can buy the circuit already built
              > then I am S O L.

              The November Servo will have an article that talks directly to what you
              are trying to do, and how easy a simple PID and ramping speed control
              can be to do.

              DLC

              > Thanks anyways....
              >

              > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Alan Marconett <KM6VV@...>
              > wrote:
              >>
              >> Look up PID controllers. Microchip has the PICs you need, and app
              > note
              >> 696 tells you how to write a PID control that you can give
              > profiles to
              >> do what you want. You'll need an H-Bridge chip like the LMD18201.
              >>
              >> Alan KM6VV
              >>
              >> m20n12m wrote:
              >> > Hi everybody,
              >> >
              >> > I am new to the group and I had a question.
              >> >
              >> > I have an application where I need to make a motor do the
              > following
              >> > loop sequence.
              >> >
              >> > speed up - slow down - switch direction - repeat.
              >> >
              >> > I would like to be able to control the rate of acceleration if
              >> > possible.
              >> >
              >> > I have found something called a programmable logic controller,
              > but I
              >> > feel that maybe it is more then I need...
              >> >
              >> > Is there a really easy way to do this that I just don't know
              > about?
              >> >
              >> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
              >> >
              >> > Thanks
              >> > Matt

              Dennis Clark
              TTT Enterprises
            • Alan Marconett
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 26, 2008
                OK,

                How about a Pololu motor driver? You send it commands. You didn't say how
                big the motor was, but take a look at this:

                http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/120

                Alan KM6VV
              • m20n12m
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 26, 2008
                  Thats what I was looking for. Something I could plug in that costs
                  30-40$

                  But it seems that it doesn't have loop ability (memory).

                  I have thought about using my old Lego Mindstorms robotic kit to
                  control a motor speed control knob and a reversing switch... but I
                  really don't want to do that.

                  Thanks

                  wrote:

                  > OK,
                  >
                  > How about a Pololu motor driver? You send it commands. You
                  didn't say how
                  > big the motor was, but take a look at this:
                  >
                  > http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/120
                  >
                  > Alan KM6VV

                • Alan Marconett
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 26, 2008
                    That sounds like an interesting article! You beat me to it! I'm going to
                    do a dual PID controller for the MicroMoose (a little too big for
                    MicroMouse) 'bot project I've just started.

                    What uP?

                    Alan KM6VV

                    On Behalf Of Dennis Clark

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 26, 2008
                      > That sounds like an interesting article! You beat me to it! I'm going to
                      > do a dual PID controller for the MicroMoose (a little too big for
                      > MicroMouse) 'bot project I've just started.
                      >
                      > What uP?
                      >
                      > Alan KM6VV

                      The more the merrier! Mine is focused on taking the fear out of "PID"
                      and giving an experimental platform to learn with.

                      DLC

                      > On Behalf Of Dennis Clark
                      >

                      >> Thanks for the help.
                      >>
                      >> I am afraid that I am way too novice to accomplish this. I have
                      >> already learned like 12 new words just searching for what you guys
                      >> told me.
                      >>
                      >> Unless there is somewhere that I can buy the circuit already built
                      >> then I am S O L.
                      >
                      > The November Servo will have an article that talks directly to what you
                      > are trying to do, and how easy a simple PID and ramping speed control
                      > can be to do.
                      >
                      > DLC

                      Dennis Clark
                      TTT Enterprises
                    • Alan Marconett
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 26, 2008
                        No looping, but you can send it commands from a simple PIC or AVR uP. Some
                        uP chips already have the BASIC language, check out Kic Chip:

                        http://www.kicchip.co.uk/default.html

                        I've just built the Kic Crab:

                        http://www.1sorc.com/robots.html

                        (got it walking last night!)

                        The Studio program (free) IDE to program the crab is available. There is an
                        18-pin Kic Chip that's only about $3 !

                        Of course any little uP can talk to one of these little motor controller
                        boards.

                        Alan KM6VV

                        On Behalf Of m20n12m

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 26, 2008
                          I look forward to reading it! But I have to wait until November? :>|

                          Alan KM6VV

                          On Behalf Of Dennis Clark

                          > What uP?
                          >
                          > Alan KM6VV

                          The more the merrier! Mine is focused on taking the fear out of "PID"
                          and giving an experimental platform to learn with.

                          DLC
                        • Chris Baron
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 27, 2008
                            You could use something like a programmable servo exerciser. Or
                            possibly something like an animitraonic servo driver with a stored
                            program. Then use one of the many R/C command motor controls to drive
                            the motor. They are available from sub-1A to 100A+ current levels.

                            Chris

                            --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "m20n12m" <thesaint9998@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Hi everybody,
                            >
                            > I am new to the group and I had a question.
                            >
                            > I have an application where I need to make a motor do the following
                            > loop sequence.
                            >
                            > speed up - slow down - switch direction - repeat.
                            >
                            > I would like to be able to control the rate of acceleration if
                            > possible.
                            >
                            > I have found something called a programmable logic controller, but I
                            > feel that maybe it is more then I need...
                            >
                            > Is there a really easy way to do this that I just don't know about?
                            >
                            > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            > Matt

                          • robotMaker