Sharp GD2P12 Mounting

  • Thomas D. Dean
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2008
      I read an article on mounting the GD2P12 vertical rather than horizonal,
      as in the SRS kit.

      Has anyone done measurements on the two mounting schemes?

      tomdean
    • Larry Barello
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2008
        The problem with horizontal mounting is pointing to a shiny corner. Since
        in most robot mazes the corners are vertical, rather than horizontal, folks
        have found that mounting the sensor vertically, avoids the "corner
        reflector" problem.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2008
          What is the corner problem?

          I was looking for the horizonal and vertical beam widths.

          Is the sensing area somewhat symetrical?

          tomdean
        • Larry Barello
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 2008
            The SHARP ranger uses parallax to measure distance. If the sensing beam
            hits near a corner, reflects to the other wall and then reflects back to the
            sensor the parallax and the distance sensed will be wrong.

            I was looking for the horizonal and vertical beam widths.

            Is the sensing area somewhat symetrical?

            tomdean
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • dan michaels
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
              --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean@...>
              wrote:

              > I read an article on mounting the GD2P12 vertical rather than
              horizonal, as in the SRS kit.

              > Has anyone done measurements on the two mounting schemes?
              >
              > tomdean

              I have not compared orientations, but Sharp has an appnote discussing
              vertical versus horiz mounting, and the article in question was
              probably referencing that. The Sharp appnote is named "Distance
              Measuring Sensors" and dated Feb 18, 2003. Try googling.

              If you are doing horizontal panning, which is most likely, then the
              ranger should be mounted in vertical orientation. The sensor works by
              triangulation, and several readings are averaged over 50-msec or so,
              and the output value will be incorrect if the bot is moving too fast
              during this time.