Re: [SeattleRobotics] ODB-II car diagnostics

  • Randy Carter
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
      You will want to talk to Doug Korthof. He runs a Yahoo group involved with EV's. He has had an EV1, Honda EV Plus and every member of his family has a RAV4-EV. He has a palm pilot with software that access the RAV4 systems an reports on just about every aspect of the batteries. For the past couple of days there has been a discussion going on about the best charging algorithm for NiMH batteries.

      "What the detractors and critics of electric vehicles
      have been saying for years, is true. The electric
      vehicle is not for everybody, given the limited range
      it can only meet the needs of 90% of the population."

      Ed Begley Jr.

      -- "Cathy Saxton" <cathysaxton@...> wrote:
      Has anyone played with the OBD-II port on their car? Specifically, I'm
      looking for info on the protocols for the ISO 9141-2 electrical
      connection and the SAE J1979 command set.

      For those starting to put two and two together with this and my
      previous question... Tom and I recently purchased a 2002 Toyota
      RAV4-EV; it's become my latest robot platform. :-) If you didn't know
      that Toyota made a production electric vehicle for several years (sold
      in California only), I'd highly recommend watching the documentary
      "Who Killed the Electric Car?"

      Cathy
    • The Earl
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
        OBD-II is a family of related protocols. You need to figure out which
        version your car uses :).

        There are a number of OBD-II -> RS-232 translators available as
        cables. You can google "OBD-II palm" to find them. That might be a lot
        simpler than building your own.

        http://www.sterntech.com/obdii_avr.php

        http://www.bb-elec.com/product_family.asp?FamilyId=222&s=INBE0407

        The first is an open source AVR or PIC reader. The page has good info
        on the different types of OBD as well. The second is just a cable.

        I thought there was an open source OBD project that would sell you the
        cable for cheap (~$50), but I can't find it right now.

        OBD-II is also the minimum spec for these interfaces. Some
        manufacturers have custom protocols or data points that you can read
        from this same connector. You might google your car and see if anyone
        has more info about your particular make / model.

        Thanks
        Barrie

        On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Cathy Saxton cathysaxton-at-.........

      • ed@okerson.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
          I played around with http://freediag.sourceforge.net/ a few years back.
          It is the open source OBD-II software. I bought an adapter from
          http://www.multiplex-engineering.com/products.htm to use with it.

          Ed Okerson

          > OBD-II is a family of related protocols. You need to figure out which
          > version your car uses :).
          >
          > There are a number of OBD-II -> RS-232 translators available as
          > cables. You can google "OBD-II palm" to find them. That might be a lot
          > simpler than building your own.
          >
          > http://www.sterntech.com/obdii_avr.php
          >
          > http://www.bb-elec.com/product_family.asp?FamilyId=222&s=INBE0407
          >
          > The first is an open source AVR or PIC reader. The page has good info
          > on the different types of OBD as well. The second is just a cable.
          >
          > I thought there was an open source OBD project that would sell you the
          > cable for cheap (~$50), but I can't find it right now.
          >
          > OBD-II is also the minimum spec for these interfaces. Some
          > manufacturers have custom protocols or data points that you can read
          > from this same connector. You might google your car and see if anyone
          > has more info about your particular make / model.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Barrie
          >
          > On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Cathy Saxton cathysaxton-at-.........
          > |Listserv| <...> wrote:
          >> Has anyone played with the OBD-II port on their car? Specifically, I'm
          >> looking for info on the protocols for the ISO 9141-2 electrical
          >> connection and the SAE J1979 command set.
          >>
          >> For those starting to put two and two together with this and my
          >> previous question... Tom and I recently purchased a 2002 Toyota
          >> RAV4-EV; it's become my latest robot platform. :-) If you didn't know
          >> that Toyota made a production electric vehicle for several years (sold
          >> in California only), I'd highly recommend watching the documentary
          >> "Who Killed the Electric Car?"
          >>
          >> Cathy

        • dan michaels
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
            --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Cathy Saxton"
            <cathysaxton@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone played with the OBD-II port on their car? Specifically, I'm
            > looking for info on the protocols for the ISO 9141-2 electrical
            > connection and the SAE J1979 command set.
            >
            > For those starting to put two and two together with this and my
            > previous question... Tom and I recently purchased a 2002 Toyota
            > RAV4-EV; it's become my latest robot platform. :-) If you didn't know
            > that Toyota made a production electric vehicle for several years (sold
            > in California only), I'd highly recommend watching the documentary
            > "Who Killed the Electric Car?"
            >
            > Cathy

            Cathy, that movie was a riot. Poor Alexandra Paul about cried when
            they took her EV away, and compressed it into a cube.

            You might take a look at the following unit, which will plug into your
            OBD port, and perform large amounts of on-road data storage, which is
            what I imagine you want to do. It's sold by Ramsey Electronics, among
            others. I haven't bought it or tried it, but it looks pretty good.

            http://www.carchip.com/

            http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/\
            commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=8226

            A lot of the other OBD units, I think, might give you the diagnostic
            codes, but may not do significant on-road monitoring.
          • Cathy Saxton
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 6, 2008
              Thanks to everyone for their replies. I also talked to the developer
              of a RAV4-EV-specific Palm app that gets data from the car using the
              OBD-II port.

              It sounds like Toyota is doing a bunch of custom stuff, including a
              communication that might not be recognized by the ELMs. And of course,
              most of the data of interest for an electric vehicle probably isn't in
              the standard (SAE J1979) command set.

              Anyway, the Palm app developer is working on a new device to interface
              with the car and provide a way for others to add their own
              programs/devices to get the data, so I'm in the "be patient" mode
              waiting for that since it sounds like it will be a lot less painful
              than having to reverse-engineer it myself!

              Cathy

              P.S. Sorry that I messed up the subject -- I know it's supposed to be
              OBD; just had a typo.
            • MS
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 7, 2008
                OBDII Standards are set by the EPA and must be adhered to for emission
                testing (in Oregon virtually all vehicles 1996+ are required to test using
                this method). True, manufacturers may report information other than emission
                for their own use, but the communication protocol is standardized. There are
                tools available to read 2002 Toyota, some of which have RS-232 connectivity.
                May not be as small as you'd like, but the info is out there.

              • Mike Payson
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 7, 2008
                  That's not quite accurate. All that OBD-II standardizes is the hardware.
                  There are actually five different communications protocols that are used by
                  different manufacturers and different model years. As of 2008, all cars sold
                  in the US are required to support the CAN bus, so going forward your
                  statement is true. Here's more info:

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Board_Diagnostics

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 8, 2008
                    Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant only that there is nothing secret or
                    unknown about the 2002 Toyota communication protocol. Manufacturers may use
                    various protocols, but they are not secret-nor can they be, emission testing
                    must be allowed by this means. I might more accurately have stated: .but the
                    communication protocols is [are] standardized [between manufacturers, the
                    EPA, and emission testing facilities].