[SeattleRobotics] Electronic filters

  • ray xu
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hi, I have questions with electronic filters. Based on DPRG, they say "it's
      another world of electronics" and so most DPRG members don't know abut it.
      I can also barely figure out anything from my book.

      Here's my schematic:

      This is straight out from my Laser Ranger schematic. BTW, R3's value is
      76.9K Ohms. R5 is adjustment, if any is needed. The point where the
      photodiode and R3 meet is the input. Pin 1 of IC8 is the output. This is a
      narrow-bandpass filter and has center frequency of 2kHz. My question is
      that if I input a 2kHz, 2vP-P voltage at the input, would the output be
      2vP-P, or the rails of the voltage supply? I got his straight out from the
      book "Practical Electronics for Inventors". It's on page 264, fig 8.12.

      Again, thanks for helping out with my school project.

      group member
      My Blog <http://rayxublogs.blogspot.com/>

    • fu cheng
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2008
        He first came to Germany Oh, no computers, can be resumed a month later, understanding.

        ray xu <rayxu@...> 写道: Hi, I have questions with electronic filters. Based on DPRG, they say "it's
        another world of electronics" and so most DPRG members don't know abut it.
        I can also barely figure out anything from my book.

        Here's my schematic:

        This is straight out from my Laser Ranger schematic. BTW, R3's value is
        76.9K Ohms. R5 is adjustment, if any is needed. The point where the
        photodiode and R3 meet is the input. Pin 1 of IC8 is the output. This is a
        narrow-bandpass filter and has center frequency of 2kHz. My question is
        that if I input a 2kHz, 2vP-P voltage at the input, would the output be
        2vP-P, or the rails of the voltage supply? I got his straight out from the
        book "Practical Electronics for Inventors". It's on page 264, fig 8.12.

        Again, thanks for helping out with my school project.

        group member
        My Blog <http://rayxublogs.blogspot.com/>

        谨祝一切顺利!

        程福*****

      • Patrick Haas
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2008
          You can use a SPICE simulator to determine the behavior of a circuit,
          especially filters of all kinds. All of the big semiconductor companies
          offer free spice tools (the original spice is BSD licensed) to use with
          their as well as with generic ICs.
          Analog Devices, Texas Instruments and National Semiconductors have various
          tools. I believe it was TI that also had a filter design program that can
          spit out generic band pass filters and calculate the correct
          resistor/capacitor values, the frequency response and a spice model.

          I don't know about the classic spice tools, but the graphical interfaces
          make it easy to click together a circuit and examine it with the built-in
          tools (multimeter, oscilloscope, wave input generator etc.)

          -Patrick