Re: Processing Language for Robotics?

  • Win Heagy
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2008
      Yes, I have the book on Processing and the one titled "Making Things
      Talk" (which is excellent by the way). And you're right, Wiring,
      which is used for the Arduino is based on Processing, so in that
      respect, there is robotics work being done with the language.

      Since I asked the question yesterday, I've done some more digging and
      found that it's relatively straightforward to interface Processing
      with an Arduino running Wiring -- through serial commands. So I guess
      much of the power and functionality of Processing is available to the
      Arduino (this would be true for most any microcontroller that can
      communicate via serial).

      Win

      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Heath" <cwheath3@...>
      wrote:

      > There's a pretty good book on Processing (and Wiring, which is for the
      > Arduino board). It's "Making Things Talk" from O'Reilly and has some
      > interesting projects. Processing is based on Java.
      >
      > Charlie

    • Win Heagy
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2008
        Processing is mainly intended to bridge the gap between artists and
        programmers, allowing artists to create visual software with minimal
        code. It seems to succeed very well in that respect. It's gone a bit
        farther though and a nice library of tools that robotics people might
        find useful has been written. It's particularly impressive to see how
        little code is need to read and process a video stream. The same is
        true for images. There are demos for face detection that utilize the
        openCV library, and it is done in fewer lines of code than I've ever
        seen before.

        Processing is based on Java, and the code is cross platform (OS X,
        Windows, and Linux). Code can be exported to executables for each
        platform, embedded in web pages, etc. Oh, and the whole thing is
        free. It's really one of the more impressive languages I've seen in
        some time. Lots of fun to mess around with and may be very useful for
        robotics work.

        Win

        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Balch" <peterbalch@...>
        wrote:

        > I wandered around the various links from that site for a while. Many
        of the
        > "exhibition" exhibits were impressive when compared with the small
        amount of
        > code that runs them.
        >
        > Is there an overview of Processing anywhere? Is Processing built on
        top of
        > Java? Is it just Java plus some nice class libraries? What is it?
        >
        > Peter

      • Mike Payson
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2008
          As others have mentioned, the Wiring language is based on Processing,
          but is geared for people doing embedded programming. It can be used on
          either the Arduino board (See www.arduino.cc) or on the Wiring IO
          Board (See www.wiring.org.co for information on both the language and
          the board), which gives you quite a bit more horsepower. If you're
          interested in the Wiring board, Maximum Robotics them on sale right
          now for $55 with a $100 purchase (normally $70. Disclaimer: I work for
          Maximum Robotics).

          http://www.maximumrobotics.com/store/p/881-Wiring-I-O-Board-ATMega128-Controller-Board-.aspx

          On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Win Heagy <wheagy@...> wrote:
          > Has anyone tried or heard of the Processing Language being used for
          > robotics work? http://processing.org If you haven't seen this
          > language, check it out. It has some very powerful features including
          > video and image processing, serial comm and cross platform
          > development. It seems like there are some excellent opportunities for
          > using this in robotics work. Anyone aware of anything being done?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Win

        • Mike Payson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2008
            Processing is based on Java, and it's embedded cousin Wiring is based
            on C++. I'm not as familiar with Processing as I am with Wiring, but I
            know that Wiring is basically a set of classes and defines that hide
            some of the more complex aspects of C++. The code compiles just as if
            you had written it directly in C++, and it executes on the MCU at
            native speeds just like C++. I assume that Processing works basically
            the same way, but it executes on a PC.

            On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Peter Balch <peterbalch@...> wrote:
            > From: "Win Heagy" <wheagy@...>
            >> Has anyone tried or heard of the Processing Language being used for
            >> robotics work? http://processing.org
            >
            > I wandered around the various links from that site for a while. Many of the
            > "exhibition" exhibits were impressive when compared with the small amount of
            > code that runs them.
            >
            > Is there an overview of Processing anywhere? Is Processing built on top of
            > Java? Is it just Java plus some nice class libraries? What is it?
            >
            > Peter

          • Lucas
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2008
              One great feature of Processing is that it can export a java applet or
              standard jar files so it could be run on any embedded device that supports
              those- though I've only used it for graphical output or serial i/o,
              interfacing it to anything else might be difficult.

              Recently I've made a couple of Processing projects that are related to
              robotics, they just demonstrate algorithms:

              A* Search (path finding) -
              http://binarymillenium.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/processing/astar/svnapplet/index.html

              K-Means Clustering (for machine vision) -
              http://code.google.com/p/binarymillenium/wiki/KMeansCluster

              -Luke

              On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Mike Payson <mike@...> wrote:

              > Processing is based on Java, and it's embedded cousin Wiring is based
              > on C++. I'm not as familiar with Processing as I am with Wiring, but I
              > know that Wiring is basically a set of classes and defines that hide
              > some of the more complex aspects of C++. The code compiles just as if
              > you had written it directly in C++, and it executes on the MCU at
              > native speeds just like C++. I assume that Processing works basically
              > the same way, but it executes on a PC.
              >

              > On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Peter Balch <peterbalch@...<peterbalch%40btinternet.com>>
              > wrote:
              > > From: "Win Heagy" <wheagy@... <wheagy%40gmail.com>>
              > >> Has anyone tried or heard of the Processing Language being used for
              > >> robotics work? http://processing.org
              > >
              > > I wandered around the various links from that site for a while. Many of
              > the
              > > "exhibition" exhibits were impressive when compared with the small amount
              > of
              > > code that runs them.
              > >
              > > Is there an overview of Processing anywhere? Is Processing built on top
              > of
              > > Java? Is it just Java plus some nice class libraries? What is it?
              > >
              > > Peter
              > >

              > > ------------------------------------
              > >
              > > Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.orgYahoo! Groups
              > Links

            • Peter Balch
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 2, 2008
                > A* Search (path finding) -
                > http://binarymillenium.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/processing/astar/svnapplet/index.html
                > K-Means Clustering (for machine vision) -
                > http://code.google.com/p/binarymillenium/wiki/KMeansCluster

                The Processing source code for these examples is about as long and complex
                as I'd expect if it were written in Java or C. In fact, it looks very much
                like Java or C.

                I still don't see the advantage of Processing over Java or C with some
                fairly basic graphics Class libraries.

                Peter
                .
              • Lucas
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 2, 2008
                  Right, it is fundamentally Java. I think the main advantages are
                  convenience and popularity: a novice can download and run it, write a single
                  line of code like 'rect(10,10,5,5)', hit the run button and see immediate
                  visual results. And beyond that there are a lot of people familiar with it
                  or Wiring or even standard Java to go to for help. It's great for teaching
                  and learning, or prototyping- though maybe not larger complex projects, or
                  anything that can't make much use of generating visuals.

                  Luke

                  On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 2:28 AM, Peter Balch <peterbalch@...>
                  wrote:

                  > > A* Search (path finding) -
                  > >
                  > http://binarymillenium.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/processing/astar/svnapplet/index.html
                  > > K-Means Clustering (for machine vision) -
                  > > http://code.google.com/p/binarymillenium/wiki/KMeansCluster
                  >
                  > The Processing source code for these examples is about as long and complex
                  > as I'd expect if it were written in Java or C. In fact, it looks very much
                  > like Java or C.
                  >
                  > I still don't see the advantage of Processing over Java or C with some
                  > fairly basic graphics Class libraries.
                  >
                  > Peter
                  > .

                • Mike Payson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 2, 2008
                    wrote:
                    >> A* Search (path finding) -

                    http://binarymillenium.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/processing/astar/svnapplet/index.html
                    >> K-Means Clustering (for machine vision) -
                    >> http://code.google.com/p/binarymillenium/wiki/KMeansCluster

                    > The Processing source code for these examples is about as long and complex
                    > as I'd expect if it were written in Java or C. In fact, it looks very much
                    > like Java or C.
                    >
                    > I still don't see the advantage of Processing over Java or C with some
                    > fairly basic graphics Class libraries.

                    But (assuming that Processing works the same way that Wiring does) that's
                    exactly what Processing is. You can always write code in pure Java if you
                    need to for any particular piece of code, Processing just provides some
                    additional syntax that makes many things easier.

                    .