PocketPC for robot control

  • dsmith164@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2000
      Greetings all -
      I recently purchased a Casio CASSIOPEDIA E-125 pocket pc. Besides
      learning in general how to program and use it, I eventually want to use
      it as a robot brain or at least being used as part of the control of a
      robot - the idea is to replace a large bulky laptop with this.

      I am asking the group for help along the lines of robot control, how
      would you use this device for that purpose. I know at least Ryan is
      working on his Elephant and he's using a Palm Pilot for control - I don't
      know if anyone else has experimented with these.

      I purchased three books - 2 on Palm OS programming and a general "how to
      do everything" with your Palm. So with these as references I think I can
      learn how to get applications into the unit and start learning how to
      program it. But my biggest question is knowing how to connect this to the
      outside world - either to motors or other robot actuators, etc. or
      possibly to a microcontroller.

      The unit I bought came with a USB cable to hook externally to the host
      PC. The ideal, for robot control, is to have a serial or parallel
      connector. From Casio, I can purchase a serial cable adapter for $30 -
      USB to serial (I wonder if a NULL cable or standard serial connector is
      appropriate is this instance, and which this cable is). Once I have the
      serial connect to the outside world, I don't know how to interface it to
      the actuators in question. I do know some about controlling motors etc.
      by parallel port, but not serial.

      And then another decision to be made - is this device the sole control of
      the robot. Another possibility is that it could be used as the data
      storage with a microcontroller as the brain. I don't know what other
      options are possible.

      I would like any info, articles, other book suggestions, postings to
      egroups etc to help with this issue. The programming books I bought come
      with some free development tools - CodeWarrior Lite which is a Windows
      IDE., PocketC Compiler 3.5, Symbol palm terminal SDK, and LispMe.

      Thanks in advance for the help
      Donna
    • David VanHorn
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 26, 2000
        Sounds like a perfect job for a microcontroller.
        Talk serial to your PC, telling it what it sees, then taking high level
        commands back, like ahead 2/3, back slow, right full rudder, fire
        torpedoes... :)
        --
        Where's dave? http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?kc6ete-9
      • Laurie & Mark Stringham
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2000
          You can get a pocketPC dev kit directly from microsoft for about 8$. It
          includes the versions of VisualC++ and VisualBasic needed for programming the
          PocketPC. Also, check out the website pocketprojects.com (i think?) it is an
          independent user forum.