Whatsitsname wild robot

  • bnansel@nauticom.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 23, 2000
      Anybody care to take a whack at naming this robot? If it ever does go
      10,000 hours, that would probably be some kind of world record for a
      hobbyist robot outdoors. Maybe for any mobile robot.

      -RLN
    • William Cox
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 23, 2000
        How about ROAR - Robert's Outdoor Autonomous Rover
        -William

      • bnansel@nauticom.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 23, 2000
          William Cox <william@...> wrote:

          >How about ROAR - Robert's Outdoor Autonomous Rover
          >-William

          Or how about MEOW - My Eccentric Outdoor Wobot :)

          -RLN
        • GW
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 24, 2000
            This is one of the most interesting threads I've seen in
            quite a while. (OK, interest is relative and I just may be
            apathetic.) I have given thought to this kind of project
            also. It seems to have abundant practical uses in remote
            exploration.

            I have to admit the idea of a pure photovore is very appealing.
            One of the things to consider the balance of feeding to activity.
            A photovore, as long as the sun shines appreciably, doesn't have
            to expend much energy to 'find' energy. It can just sit in the sun.
            It can also 'conserve' energy, as many animals do, by doing nothing.

            So, what kind of ratio of feeding to activity are you willing to live with?

            Sit in the suun for 10 hours for a 2 hour active period and a 12 hour
            sleep period? Would probably be possible but, alas, would make for
            for a pretty boring puppy. Still, would be a start.

            -G

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1 1:56 PM
              At 12:17 AM 2/1/01, Dan Miner wrote:
              >I'm still catching up on SRS email and > 1 month behind.
              >
              >My name suggestion: "Wild Thing"
              >
              > - Dan Miner

              I eventually settled on "Tall Grass," at least as the name of this class of
              robots. I also came up with a logarithmic scale to further clssify them. An
              S0 robot can survive outdoors in a temperate climate for 1 hour, an S1 for
              ten hours, S2 100 hours, S3 1000 hours, and (my goal S4 - 10,000 hours.