Re: [SeattleRobotics] FWIW - subsume subsumed subsumption

  • dlc
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 2, 2007
      It seems odd that Brooks et.al. didn't mention prior art that was quite
      similar, but I don't remember him claiming that he invented the idea
      either, rather his ideas about MFSM's were his claim to fame. I could
      be wrong, I've slept since I read his first works...

      DLC

      Randy M. Dumse wrote:
      > dan michaels revealed: Sunday, December 02, 2007 10:47 AM
      >
      >>Lo and behold, not only does Warren use the words "subsume"
      >>and "subsumption", in a slightly different context, but
      >>figure 3 of the paper is exactly [topologically] the same
      >>subsumption architecture later described by Brooks in his
      >>1985 and 1989 papers. Interestingly, in none of Brooks' early
      >>papers, nor Jones' books, nor Arkin's book, is any credit
      >>given to W.McC that I can see.
      >

      > Wow.
      >
      > That is an incredible find.
      >
      > So what is your thinking? Did Brooks revive a latent suggestion
      > he'd read or heard elsewhere? And fail to credit earlier work?
      > Is this innocent, or done with fore knowledge? Or neglected
      > after the fact?
      >
      > In lots of academic circles, even accidental plagerism could be
      > a career buster.
      >
      > Randy

      Dennis Clark TTT Enterprises
      www.techtoystoday.com