Selling your robots on Ebay

  • Pete Miles
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 21, 2007
      I am currious, how many people have seriously considered selling their robotic creations
      on ebay?

      I am talking about scratch built robots, not the kits you can already buy.

      I have some robot designs I am thinking about selling on-line, but I really doubt the
      market is large enough to justify the costs of creating a formal business to sell them.

      Pete
    • Jon Hylands
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 22, 2007
        On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:12:53 -0800, "Pete Miles" <robots@...>
        wrote:

        > I am currious, how many people have seriously considered selling their robotic creations
        > on ebay?

        I thought at one point about making a kit for Seeker 2, but in the end
        decided there were too many custom made parts (like, all of it), and it
        would take too long for what someone would be willing to pay.

        Beginners generally can't afford that, and advanced people generally like
        to roll their own...

        Later,
        Jon

        Jon Hylands Jon@... http://www.huv.com/jon

        Project: Micro Raptor (Small Biped Velociraptor Robot)
        http://www.huv.com/blog
      • Randy M. Dumse
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 22, 2007
          Pete Miles wondered: Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:13 AM
          > I am currious, how many people have seriously considered
          > selling their robotic creations on ebay?

          Mike Keesling sold several of his built from scratch robots on
          eBay. These were robots he'd written about in Nuts & Volts, even
          been on the cover. His Robopede, for instance, with six stages
          of body segments, 12 DC gear motors, 12 H-bridges, 6 MinPod
          microprocessors talking CAN down the backbone.

          I think he made a profit, but only because he had gotten the
          electronics comp'd and the gearmotors from escap w/o charge.

          He also sold Mamby, which was a Lynxmotion EH-3 walker. But
          there again, it was comp'd.

          I think part of Mike's success rate has to do with his having a
          small house, and his wife's sideline is wood working, so there's
          no space left for partially done projects, or ones already
          successful. He keeps moving them through, as soon as he's
          satisfied with accomplishing what he felt he needed to do.

          Randy
          www.newmicros.com
        • Pete Miles
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 22, 2007
            A few months ago I saw a bomb disposal robot on ebay. I was really tempted just to buy it
            for the body and parts. The parts alone greatly exceeded the buy it now price.

            But for the most part you just don't see robots out there. It would seem that many of us
            have robots in certain states of completion that just sit around and collect dust, but if
            sold to someone else, they could create something great from it.

            I work for an R&D company that buys all sorts of different things, and makes many
            different modifications to them, and resells them to customers who need certain pieces of
            equipment that can do certain things that are not available even from the OEMs. It is a
            lot cheaper to buy existing stuff, and improve upon them than to develop from scratch.

            How many people have a semi-autonomous robot built on an R/C chassis that is collecting
            dust in the garage that would make a perfect starting platform for a RoboMagellan robot
            for someone else?

            I know there are a lot of people reading this have robots that are just collecting dust.
            Why not sell them, and let someone else take it to a different level, and you get some
            cash to buy some different parts for your next creation.

            Pete
          • PeterBalch
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 26, 2007
              Pete Miles wondered: Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:13 AM
              > I am currious, how many people have seriously considered
              > selling their robotic creations on ebay?

              From the few answers there have been so far, it looks like they sell the
              _components_ on ebay. In other words, the buyer just sees it as a cheap way
              of buying some components; they don't really want the whole robot.

              I guess that makes sense. Homebrew robots aren't ever useful. People build
              them for the joy of the building process. They may then enter it into a
              competition but that's two minutes of fame vs two months or years of
              building. All they ever win is bragging rights and they wouldn't be
              expected to brag if they'd simply bought it on ebay.

              I think the question ought to be: how many people expect to sell a
              completed robot for more than it cost to someone who'll use it as-is and
              not just strip it for parts. How many people expect their building skills
              to add value to the hardware? How many expect their programming skills to
              add value? If you did add value, how much per hour would that translate to?
              More that $1/hr?

              If I wanted to buy ready-built robot h/w, I'd buy something from Wowee.
              Their prices are amazing.

              And I'm curious, why do you ask? Are you thinking you might make a profit?
              Is that realistic?

              Peter
            • Randy M. Dumse
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 26, 2007
                PeterBalch commented: Monday, November 26, 2007 10:18 AM
                > From the few answers there have been so far, it looks like
                > they sell the _components_ on ebay. In other words, the buyer
                > just sees it as a cheap way of buying some components; they
                > don't really want the whole robot.

                Insightful I believe. I can only speak to the experience I've
                observed. Dr. Huff was visiting over the weekend. We discussed
                his current tank project. He has one large ex-Israeli mine
                disposal robot, and about 8 of the Walmart M5 toys he's
                converted. Remember I said Mike Keesling sold his robopede on
                eBay? Well, the H-bridges in the tanks were taken out of
                Robopede. So it does seem the source of parts is appropriate.
                Which frustrates me, because I comp'd those parts for Mike's
                experimentation, he basically sold them at my cost, for his
                profit, and displaced actual sales I might have had. Although at
                least I did get magazine coverage for my "contribution".

                Randy
                www.newmicros.com
              • Richard Greenway
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 29, 2007
                  Well not quite ebay, and not quite individual.
                  But University of Washington has a couple of robotic bases up for its
                  next auction.
                  http://www.washington.edu/admin/surplus/dec2007catalog2.html

                  http://www.washington.edu/admin/surplus/114.JPG

                  Richard