Concerns about current draw in a micromouse.

  • Ben Estroff
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2007
      Hello, everyone.

      Despite Murphy's law trying to stop me from getting this robot done in
      the last days before the competition, I'm still fighting.

      However, we've recently had to go to new motors in order to achieve
      any kind of decent speed, and I'm worried about the ability of the
      H-bridge to source the required amount of current.
      Here's the new motor type.
      http://www.robotshop.ca/home/products/robot-parts/motors/gear-motors/spur-gearmotors/lynxmotion-ghm-10-gear-head-motor.html

      I'm using the SN754410 TI Dual-H bridge IC currently, and that can
      easily handle the current of our older motors (the MO-201 found here:
      http://www.oceancontrols.com.au/motors/dc/dc_motors.htm)
      Even under full load, but the new Lynxmotion motors will far surpass
      the current draw under a full load.

      We're intending to use only IR sensors (rangefinders and encoders) so
      that we don't hit a wall, and the robot should be extremely light, but
      I'm still concerned that the SN754410 will simply go up in smoke when
      executing quick turns.

      Are there any other suggested h-bridges in the same vein as the SN754410?

      Also, any good sources (in the northwest) for a mini-tamiya connector
      that doesn't already have pigtails? I've only found one place in
      Wisconsin that seems to be selling the individual parts.

      Thanks in advance!
    • Ben Estroff
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2007
        A few moment's research yielded the L293, functionally identical but
        with a 2A maximum.
        Should that be enough for a lightweight micromouse?
        I think the battery will cut out before the current draw gets much
        higher than that.

        On 10/2/07, Ben Estroff <birdinhand@...> wrote:
        > Hello, everyone.
        >
        > Despite Murphy's law trying to stop me from getting this robot done in
        > the last days before the competition, I'm still fighting.
        >
        > However, we've recently had to go to new motors in order to achieve
        > any kind of decent speed, and I'm worried about the ability of the
        > H-bridge to source the required amount of current.
        > Here's the new motor type.
        > http://www.robotshop.ca/home/products/robot-parts/motors/gear-motors/spur-gearmotors/lynxmotion-ghm-10-gear-head-motor.html
        >
        > I'm using the SN754410 TI Dual-H bridge IC currently, and that can
        > easily handle the current of our older motors (the MO-201 found here:
        > http://www.oceancontrols.com.au/motors/dc/dc_motors.htm)
        > Even under full load, but the new Lynxmotion motors will far surpass
        > the current draw under a full load.
        >
        > We're intending to use only IR sensors (rangefinders and encoders) so
        > that we don't hit a wall, and the robot should be extremely light, but
        > I'm still concerned that the SN754410 will simply go up in smoke when
        > executing quick turns.
        >
        > Are there any other suggested h-bridges in the same vein as the SN754410?
        >

        > Also, any good sources (in the northwest) for a mini-tamiya connector
        > that doesn't already have pigtails? I've only found one place in
        > Wisconsin that seems to be selling the individual parts.
        >
        > Thanks in advance!

      • dan michaels
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 2007
          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Estroff"
          <birdinhand@...> wrote:

          The L293D is pin compatible with the 754410, but it's current drive
          is much less. L293D = 600-mA, 754410 = 1-Amp.

          I think there is also an smt part, L293E or some such, with possibly
          different spec.

          > A few moment's research yielded the L293, functionally identical but
          > with a 2A maximum.
          > Should that be enough for a lightweight micromouse?
          > I think the battery will cut out before the current draw gets much
          > higher than that.
          >
          > On 10/2/07, Ben Estroff <birdinhand@...> wrote:
          > > Hello, everyone.
          > >
          > > Despite Murphy's law trying to stop me from getting this robot
          done in
          > > the last days before the competition, I'm still fighting.
          > >
          > > However, we've recently had to go to new motors in order to
          achieve
          > > any kind of decent speed, and I'm worried about the ability of the
          > > H-bridge to source the required amount of current.
          > > Here's the new motor type.
          > > http://www.robotshop.ca/home/products/robot-parts/motors/gear-
          motors/spur-gearmotors/lynxmotion-ghm-10-gear-head-motor.html

          > > I'm using the SN754410 TI Dual-H bridge IC currently, and that can
          > > easily handle the current of our older motors (the MO-201 found
          here:
          > > http://www.oceancontrols.com.au/motors/dc/dc_motors.htm)
          > > Even under full load, but the new Lynxmotion motors will far
          surpass
          > > the current draw under a full load.
          > >
          > > We're intending to use only IR sensors (rangefinders and
          encoders) so
          > > that we don't hit a wall, and the robot should be extremely
          light, but
          > > I'm still concerned that the SN754410 will simply go up in smoke
          when
          > > executing quick turns.
          > >
          > > Are there any other suggested h-bridges in the same vein as the
          SN754410?

          > > Also, any good sources (in the northwest) for a mini-tamiya
          connector
          > > that doesn't already have pigtails? I've only found one place in
          > > Wisconsin that seems to be selling the individual parts.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance!

        • Peter Harrison
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2007
            Ben Estroff wrote:
            > A few moment's research yielded the L293, functionally identical but
            > with a 2A maximum.
            > Should that be enough for a lightweight micromouse?
            > I think the battery will cut out before the current draw gets much
            > higher than that.
            >
            > On 10/2/07, Ben Estroff <birdinhand@...> wrote:
            >> Hello, everyone.
            >>
            >> Despite Murphy's law trying to stop me from getting this robot done in
            >> the last days before the competition, I'm still fighting.
            >>
            >> However, we've recently had to go to new motors in order to achieve
            >> any kind of decent speed, and I'm worried about the ability of the
            >> H-bridge to source the required amount of current.
            >> Here's the new motor type.
            >> http://www.robotshop.ca/home/products/robot-parts/motors/gear-motors/spur-gearmotors/lynxmotion-ghm-10-gear-head-motor.html
            >>
            >> I'm using the SN754410 TI Dual-H bridge IC currently, and that can
            >> easily handle the current of our older motors (the MO-201 found here:
            >> http://www.oceancontrols.com.au/motors/dc/dc_motors.htm)
            >> Even under full load, but the new Lynxmotion motors will far surpass
            >> the current draw under a full load.
            >>
            >> We're intending to use only IR sensors (rangefinders and encoders) so
            >> that we don't hit a wall, and the robot should be extremely light, but
            >> I'm still concerned that the SN754410 will simply go up in smoke when
            >> executing quick turns.
            >>
            >> Are there any other suggested h-bridges in the same vein as the SN754410?

            The L293 comes in several flavours. The L293D has flyback diodes in the
            output, the others don't. You will need the diodes. As far as I know,
            all the 293s have the same current rating which is 1A, the same as the
            SN754410. The 2A figure may be the total current through both bridges.

            I believe you can safely stack these on top of each other to increase
            the current handling. Bear in mind that the bottom one of a stacked pair
            will not be able to dissipate as much heat.

            The 293 and its cousins are thermally protected and will shut down
            rather than release the magic smoke.

            If you think the batteries will sag before delivering 2A they may not
            have enough capacity to deliver current spikes to your motors anyway.
            NiCd and NiMh cells of any reasonable capacity (say 600mAh) will be able
            to provide much more than 2A before giving in.

            The motors you describe are very powerful and it is likely the wheels
            will spin rather than stall if your mouse is under 2kg in weight and on
            a smooth surface. Of course, if you get the carpet wound round them,
            something will have to give :)

            Pete Harrison
          • Jon Hylands
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2007
              On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 23:01:27 -0000, "dan michaels" <oric_dan@...>
              wrote:

              > The L293D is pin compatible with the 754410, but it's current drive
              > is much less. L293D = 600-mA, 754410 = 1-Amp.

              I think he's thinking of the L298, which is rated for 2 amps per channel...

              The TI chip won't go up in smoke if you exceed the current - it will just
              go into thermal shutdown.

              Later,
              Jon

              Jon Hylands Jon@... http://www.huv.com/jon

              Project: Micro Raptor (Small Biped Velociraptor Robot)
              http://www.huv.com/blog
            • Ben Estroff
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2007
                Yes, it seemed confusing that the SN754410 was an "improved functional
                replacement" for the L293.
                Since my protoboard space is at a premium, any opinions on the number of
                SN754410s I should put on in parallel?
                My hazy recollections of Kirchoff's current equations suggest that it might
                work, but I'd rather just use a single chip.
                I'll be putting everything in sockets, because I'm assuming the worst will
                happen and things will need replacement.

                This is the battery I'm intending to use:
                http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=508
                but only if I can get a male and female Tamiya so I can charge the darn
                thing and hook it to the board.

                I'd much rather crimp to the battery's leads.

                On 10/2/07, Jon Hylands <jon@...> wrote:

                > On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 23:01:27 -0000, "dan michaels" <oric_dan@...<oric_dan%40yahoo.com>
                > >
                > wrote:
                >
                > > The L293D is pin compatible with the 754410, but it's current drive
                > > is much less. L293D = 600-mA, 754410 = 1-Amp.
                >
                > I think he's thinking of the L298, which is rated for 2 amps per
                > channel...
                >
                > The TI chip won't go up in smoke if you exceed the current - it will just
                > go into thermal shutdown.
                >
                > Later,
                > Jon

                > Jon Hylands Jon@... <Jon%40huv.com> http://www.huv.com/jon
                >
                > Project: Micro Raptor (Small Biped Velociraptor Robot)
                > http://www.huv.com/blog

              • Randy M. Dumse
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 2, 2007
                  Ben Estroff talked of: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 7:16 PM
                  > Since my protoboard space is at a premium, any opinions on
                  > the number of SN754410s I should put on in parallel?

                  Two.

                  In the data sheet it tells you which halves of the bridge to
                  parallel. Better to parallel that way, and do one bridge per
                  chip, than to stack two and parallel between different chips.

                  You can parallel two chips, but it only works through an odd
                  sharing of thermal cutouts. Bipolar transistors do not parallel
                  well, and one tries to take the full load. Of course if its
                  internal protection saves it, the other gets the load, and they
                  sort of switch back and forth carrying too much current, and
                  heating and cooling alternatively.

                  Did you look at the specs of your motors?

                  12vdc 416rpm, Gear Head Motor / Part no. GHM-10
                  Torque = 50.83 oz. in.
                  Weight = 2.08 oz.
                  Reduction = 30 :1
                  Length = 43mm (motor and gear)
                  Length = 17.5mm (shaft only)
                  Diameter = 27mm (motor and gear)
                  Diameter = 4mm (shaft) (0.157")
                  Current = 123mA (at 12v no load)
                  Current = 2.05A (at 12v locked shaft)

                  So you need 2A capacity as a minimum. Two 754410's will do it. I
                  think they are listed as 1.2A temporary load. Heat sinks tied to
                  the chip and the middle ground pins would be a very good idea.

                  Your better replacement would probably be a Infineon TLE-5026-2.
                  This is the part we use in our NMIH-0050 H-bridge. 5A if
                  properly heat sinked. Easily does about 2A open air. So this is
                  probably the smallest and best protected bridge you can get for
                  your motor and supply.

                  Randy
                  www.newmicros.com
                • Ben Estroff
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 2, 2007
                    Hm, I'd like to use the Infineon product, but surface mount is a bit beyond
                    my capability to solder.
                    To verify: you're suggesting just using one full bridge per chip, correct?

                    And what heat sinks should I be looking at for the SN754410s? I'm going to
                    be placing an order for IC sockets (for the SNs and the inverter and pretty
                    much every component save the clock) with digikey because this project's
                    seemingly cursed, and I don't want to take any chances at this late date.
                    Might as well pick up the heatsinks from there, if possible.

                    On 10/2/07, Randy M. Dumse <rmd@...> wrote:

                    > Ben Estroff talked of: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 7:16 PM
                    > > Since my protoboard space is at a premium, any opinions on
                    > > the number of SN754410s I should put on in parallel?
                    >
                    > Two.
                    >
                    > In the data sheet it tells you which halves of the bridge to
                    > parallel. Better to parallel that way, and do one bridge per
                    > chip, than to stack two and parallel between different chips.
                    >
                    > You can parallel two chips, but it only works through an odd
                    > sharing of thermal cutouts. Bipolar transistors do not parallel
                    > well, and one tries to take the full load. Of course if its
                    > internal protection saves it, the other gets the load, and they
                    > sort of switch back and forth carrying too much current, and
                    > heating and cooling alternatively.
                    >
                    > Did you look at the specs of your motors?
                    >
                    > 12vdc 416rpm, Gear Head Motor / Part no. GHM-10
                    > Torque = 50.83 oz. in.
                    > Weight = 2.08 oz.
                    > Reduction = 30 :1
                    > Length = 43mm (motor and gear)
                    > Length = 17.5mm (shaft only)
                    > Diameter = 27mm (motor and gear)
                    > Diameter = 4mm (shaft) (0.157")
                    > Current = 123mA (at 12v no load)
                    > Current = 2.05A (at 12v locked shaft)
                    >
                    > So you need 2A capacity as a minimum. Two 754410's will do it. I
                    > think they are listed as 1.2A temporary load. Heat sinks tied to
                    > the chip and the middle ground pins would be a very good idea.
                    >
                    > Your better replacement would probably be a Infineon TLE-5026-2.
                    > This is the part we use in our NMIH-0050 H-bridge. 5A if
                    > properly heat sinked. Easily does about 2A open air. So this is
                    > probably the smallest and best protected bridge you can get for
                    > your motor and supply.
                    >
                    > Randy
                    > www.newmicros.com

                  • Randy M. Dumse
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 3, 2007
                      Ben Estroff queried: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 12:20 AM
                      > Hm, I'd like to use the Infineon product, but surface mount
                      > is a bit beyond my capability to solder.

                      We use the leaded part. It is the size of a TO220. Just more
                      leads.

                      > To verify: you're suggesting just using one full bridge per
                      > chip, correct?

                      Not enough context to answer this simply, because I don't know
                      which chips you are asking the question about.

                      One TLE=5206-2 per motor. Yes.

                      Two 754410's per motor. Yes. I looked at the data sheet to try
                      to find which half-bridges should be paralleled, but couldn't
                      find what I was pretty sure I'd seen before. So I know there may
                      be a prefered set to parallel, but I can't say which.
                      http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/slrs007b/slrs007b.pdf

                      You might pick up some information with a Google search on:
                      parallel 754410.

                      Randy
                      www.newmicros.com
                    • Peter Harrison
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 3, 2007
                        Randy M. Dumse wrote:

                        > Your better replacement would probably be a Infineon TLE-5026-2.
                        > This is the part we use in our NMIH-0050 H-bridge. 5A if
                        > properly heat sinked. Easily does about 2A open air. So this is
                        > probably the smallest and best protected bridge you can get for
                        > your motor and supply.

                        They look nice. If anyone else goes searching, Infineon have them under
                        throttle control bridges and the part number is TLE 5026-2.

                        Do you know of a handy supplier?
                      • Ben Estroff
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 3, 2007
                          That does look much better. Only problem is that I've been fighting the PWM
                          module on this PIC18F4431 and have yet to get it outputting complementary
                          PWM signals. My current setup relies on the simple patch of throwing the
                          signal through an inverter, something that the Infineon TLE 5206-2 seems
                          require, unless my application falls into 'locked anti-phase', but it's not
                          clear how that feature is implemented/wired. I can certainly provide the
                          dedicated PWM ports, but not ports that have to switch between PWM and
                          constant high. The PIC's registers can't handle that level of custom
                          controls.

                          http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/tle5206-2_20010619.pdf?folderId=db3a304412b407950112b43820d56a4a&fileId=db3a304412b407950112b438215b6a4b
                          For the datasheet. l'd need to get on ordering this right away, so all
                          discussion of what I should be doing will be very helpful.

                          And yes, a supplier would be good. Better still if I can get samples of the
                          product, trying to build on a shoestring (self-imposed limitation) but the
                          time has come to get this thing done.

                          On 10/3/07, Randy M. Dumse <rmd@...> wrote:

                          > Ben Estroff queried: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 12:20 AM
                          > > Hm, I'd like to use the Infineon product, but surface mount
                          > > is a bit beyond my capability to solder.
                          >
                          > We use the leaded part. It is the size of a TO220. Just more
                          > leads.
                          >
                          > > To verify: you're suggesting just using one full bridge per
                          > > chip, correct?
                          >
                          > Not enough context to answer this simply, because I don't know
                          > which chips you are asking the question about.
                          >
                          > One TLE=5206-2 per motor. Yes.
                          >
                          > Two 754410's per motor. Yes. I looked at the data sheet to try
                          > to find which half-bridges should be paralleled, but couldn't
                          > find what I was pretty sure I'd seen before. So I know there may
                          > be a prefered set to parallel, but I can't say which.
                          > http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/slrs007b/slrs007b.pdf
                          >
                          > You might pick up some information with a Google search on:
                          > parallel 754410.
                          >
                          > Randy
                          > www.newmicros.com

                        • Randy M. Dumse
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 3, 2007
                            Peter Harrison asked:
                            > Do you know of a handy supplier?

                            We use Arrow www.arrow.com but checking the have no stock.

                            Randy
                            www.newmicros.com
                          • Ben Estroff
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 3, 2007
                              Dang. The UW's got a representative who sent me samples of the SN754410s in
                              the first place.
                              Well, worth a shot calling them again to maybe arrange it, the lab has other
                              applications for these H-Bridges beyond the current project.

                              On 10/3/07, Randy M. Dumse <rmd@...> wrote:

                              > Peter Harrison asked:
                              > > Do you know of a handy supplier?
                              >
                              > We use Arrow www.arrow.com but checking the have no stock.
                              >
                              > Randy
                              > www.newmicros.com

                            • Randy M. Dumse
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 3, 2007
                                Ben Estroff remarked: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 2:14 PM
                                > That does look much better. Only problem is that I've been
                                > fighting the PWM module on this PIC18F4431 and have yet to
                                > get it outputting complementary PWM signals.

                                Sorry, a moment of self promotion: That's why we so much prefer
                                the DSP processors in our 'Pod line of micros. They can easily
                                generate the PWM modes you need. While more complicated
                                hardware, actual use is so much easier, because the hardware
                                does so much of this sort of management for you. It is a proper
                                micro designed for motion control, and it excels at it. Plus
                                it's a 40 MIP's processor, so you have plenty left over to do
                                other tasks.

                                > My current setup relies on the simple patch of throwing
                                > the signal through an inverter, something that the
                                > Infineon TLE 5206-2 seems require, unless my application
                                > falls into 'locked anti-phase', but it's not clear how
                                > that feature is implemented/wired.

                                You make locked antiphase by using one PWM output and using an
                                inverter, just what you were talking about, actually. Then at
                                50% PWM, the wheel is still, higher forward, lower backwards (or
                                opposite depending on wiring choices et. al.).

                                You could call my office and ask them to sell you a couple at $5
                                plus shipping. It's not normally what we do, kind of like self
                                competition for our finished products, but we do help folks that
                                way sometimes. Call early, like 7A to 3PM central, ask for "BC".
                                I am leaving for a trip for a week to UNI on university matters,
                                so I won't be there. I'm copying BC so he knows this is my
                                suggestion.

                                Randy
                                www.newmicros.com
                              • Randy M. Dumse
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 3, 2007
                                  Ben Estroff
                                  > Dang.

                                  Ah. Pam tells me Digikey has them as TLE5206-2. In stock at
                                  $6.20.

                                  Randy
                                  www.newmicros.com
                                • Ben Estroff
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 3, 2007
                                    Sweet.
                                    And that's great news, regarding the anti-lock phase mode.
                                    Thank you very much, Randy.

                                    On 10/3/07, Randy M. Dumse <rmd@...> wrote:

                                    > Ben Estroff
                                    > > Dang.
                                    >
                                    > Ah. Pam tells me Digikey has them as TLE5206-2. In stock at
                                    > $6.20.
                                    >
                                    > Randy
                                    > www.newmicros.com

                                  • Next Kiwi
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 3, 2007
                                      The ultimate Hbridge chip to use these days looks to be the
                                      BTS7960 (half bridge)

                                      See http://www.robotpower.com/products/simple-h_info.html

                                      Cheers
                                      Keith

                                    • Ben Estroff
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 5, 2007
                                        Since I'm anticipating this all going downhill fast, I'm wanting to use
                                        sockets to replace things like the PIC, sensors, and smoothing capacitors
                                        should something blow.
                                        But I'm guessing I can't do that with the TLE5602, due to the current draw.

                                        Should I use sockets at all, or just get desoldering wick?