Re: [SeattleRobotics] Serial over IP - Any Ideas???

  • Richard Greenway
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
      Digi sells a little device that does just this. As do a few other
      companies. They work pretty decently.
      (google serial port server)

      http://www.digi.com/products/serialservers/
      http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=602-1075-ND

      If you want to roll your own, they have some modules that take most of
      the work out for you.

      http://www.digi.com/products/embeddedsolutions/digiconnectme.jsp

      But if you go that route, you can save a bunch by using one of the
      Microchip PIC parts that has the PHY of an 802.3 10Mb network card built
      into the chip, and just finding a TCP/IP stack to put on it.

      Hope that gives you some ideas.
      Richard
      www.fenchurch.org

      On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 00:10 -0700, Kevin Impson wrote:
      > Hello Everyone,
      >
      > I have a problem.
      >
      > I need to connect a serial port over IP via ethernet and then back to a serial port.
      >
      > I know there are programs that will do this on two PC's, but I need from PC with serial port to a hardwarebased unit only for the outher serial port.
      >
      > Any Ideas???
      >
      > Thank you in advance.
      >
      > Kevin

    • Tony Brenke