Simple LCD

  • Jim McBride
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 30, 2007
      Greetings,
      I would like to use a simple LCD display for my next project. I have
      never done this before and I am overwhelmed by all the options out
      there. Can someone suggest a simple serial model they like? I was
      hopping for something I can connect directly to a pic. All I really
      need to do is look at 8 bits and display the decimal equivalent on
      the display. Battery operated. Back light ok but not needed.
      Thanks...

      JIMc
      x22661
      National
      Ignition
      Facility

    • Jim McBride
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 30, 2007
        (Added)
        I guess serial is not necessary, Parallel would be fine....

        At 11:11 AM 7/30/2007, you wrote:

        >Greetings,
        >I would like to use a simple LCD display for my next project. I have
        >never done this before and I am overwhelmed by all the options out
        >there. Can someone suggest a simple serial model they like? I was
        >hopping for something I can connect directly to a pic. All I really
        >need to do is look at 8 bits and display the decimal equivalent on
        >the display. Battery operated. Back light ok but not needed.
        >Thanks...
        >
        >JIMc
        >x22661
        >National
        >Ignition
        >Facility

        JIMc
        x22661
        National
        Ignition
        Facility

      • Francesco De Comité
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 30, 2007
          Microchip has a C library for Hitachi HD44780 LCD controllers :
          http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MPLAB_C18_Libraries_51297f.pdf

          I am using it any time I need some display.
        • Triffid Hunter
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 30, 2007
            On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 05:27:32 +1000, Jim McBride <mcbride7@...> wrote:

            > (Added)
            > I guess serial is not necessary, Parallel would be fine....
            >

            > At 11:11 AM 7/30/2007, you wrote:
            >
            >> Greetings,
            >> I would like to use a simple LCD display for my next project. I have
            >> never done this before and I am overwhelmed by all the options out
            >> there. Can someone suggest a simple serial model they like? I was
            >> hopping for something I can connect directly to a pic. All I really
            >> need to do is look at 8 bits and display the decimal equivalent on
            >> the display. Battery operated. Back light ok but not needed.
            >> Thanks...
            >>
            >> JIMc
            >> x22661
            >> National
            >> Ignition
            >> Facility

            any of the hd44780 compatible ones should be fine.. they come in 8x1
            character to 40x4 character displays. See
            http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/resources.htm for instructions, and
            google knows where to find the datasheet. I have a 16x2 with a samsung
            KS0066 chip (hd44780 compatible)
          • Jim McBride
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 30, 2007
              Do some of these have the controller built in? In other words if you
              have enough I/O pins you can connect it directly to the display
              without the need for an additional chip? I have checked out some
              instructional sites already and will check yours out as well.

            • dlc@frii.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 30, 2007
                > Microchip has a C library for Hitachi HD44780 LCD controllers :
                > http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MPLAB_C18_Libraries_51297f.pdf
                >
                > I am using it any time I need some display.

                I use these and they are pretty useful. However, if you don't use their
                defined IO lines then you need to change the header file and recompile the
                ENTIRE C library - ICK! So I copied the source to my own files, changed
                the function names a bit and only need to re-compile my project code
                instead of the entire library.

                DLC
              • Ben Estroff
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 30, 2007
                  Yeah. I tried using Microchip's HD44780 controller codes, and... Yeah.
                  Didn't work so well.
                  Wrote some in-house, and those are working fine.

                  I still don't get how to use 4 bit communications, but I've got enough pins
                  to use the full 8 bit data bus anyway.

                  And yes, most LCDs come with one of two controller chips. There's the
                  Hitatchi HD44780 and a motorola or samsung clone that is completely
                  identical. They are typically found with the LCD module, and it's probably
                  more difficult to find one without the controller on the panel.

                  On 7/30/07, dlc@... <dlc@...> wrote:

                  > > Microchip has a C library for Hitachi HD44780 LCD controllers :
                  > >
                  > http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MPLAB_C18_Libraries_51297f.pdf
                  > >
                  > > I am using it any time I need some display.
                  >
                  > I use these and they are pretty useful. However, if you don't use their
                  > defined IO lines then you need to change the header file and recompile the
                  > ENTIRE C library - ICK! So I copied the source to my own files, changed
                  > the function names a bit and only need to re-compile my project code
                  > instead of the entire library.
                  >
                  > DLC

                • Jim McBride
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 30, 2007
                    I also read that safest way for 4 bit mode is to initialize (3x) into
                    8 bit mode and then after initialization is complete, set it to 4 bit mode.

                    At 03:59 PM 7/31/2007, you wrote:

                    >On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Ben Estroff wrote:
                    >
                    > > Yeah. I tried using Microchip's HD44780 controller codes, and... Yeah.
                    > > Didn't work so well. Wrote some in-house, and those are working fine.
                    > >
                    > > I still don't get how to use 4 bit communications, but I've got enough
                    > > pins to use the full 8 bit data bus anyway.
                    >
                    >With 4-bit, you go through almost the same initialization, except you tell
                    >it to use 4-bit instead of 8-bit mode.
                    >
                    >When sending data, you send the high four bits first, strobe E, then send
                    >the low four bits and strobe E. Wait for the busy flag to clear, and the
                    >data is sent.
                    >
                    >Tom
                    >
                    > > And yes, most LCDs come with one of two controller chips. There's the
                    > > Hitatchi HD44780 and a motorola or samsung clone that is completely
                    > > identical. They are typically found with the LCD module, and it's
                    > > probably more difficult to find one without the controller on the panel.

                    > <http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MPLAB_C18_Libraries_51297f.pdf>http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MPLAB_C18_Libraries_51297f.pdf

                    > >> I use these and they are pretty useful. However, if you don't use their
                    > >> defined IO lines then you need to change the header file and recompile the
                    > >> ENTIRE C library - ICK! So I copied the source to my own files, changed
                    > >> the function names a bit and only need to re-compile my project code
                    > >> instead of the entire library.
                    > >>
                    > >> DLC

                    > > Visit the SRS Website at
                    > <http://www.seattlerobotics.org>http://www.seattlerobotics.org
                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    JIMc
                    x22661
                    National
                    Ignition
                    Facility

                  • Triffid Hunter
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 30, 2007
                      On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Jim McBride wrote:

                      > Do some of these have the controller built in? In other words if you
                      > have enough I/O pins you can connect it directly to the display
                      > without the need for an additional chip? I have checked out some
                      > instructional sites already and will check yours out as well.

                      the hd44780 IS a controller.. one of the most common ones it seems.
                    • Ben Estroff
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
                        I couldn't get it to initialize in 4-bit, and after counting pins, realized
                        I didn't need to. There are plenty of pins left over for what I've got
                        planned, even using the full 8-bit databus, so going to 4-bit mode is just
                        additional processor time that I'd prefer to use for another task. The
                        soldering will be more of a pain, sure, but it's just 4 more pins to wire
                        up.

                        I know it's not great to say "heck with this" and go with an inelegant
                        solution, but I really don't want to keep messing with it when it's working
                        and won't do more than save a little weight on the final robot's circuitry.

                        On 7/31/07, benedict-list@... <benedict-list@...> wrote:

                        > On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Ben Estroff wrote:
                        >
                        > > Yeah. I tried using Microchip's HD44780 controller codes, and... Yeah.
                        > > Didn't work so well. Wrote some in-house, and those are working fine.
                        > >
                        > > I still don't get how to use 4 bit communications, but I've got enough
                        > > pins to use the full 8 bit data bus anyway.
                        >
                        > With 4-bit, you go through almost the same initialization, except you tell
                        >
                        > it to use 4-bit instead of 8-bit mode.
                        >
                        > When sending data, you send the high four bits first, strobe E, then send
                        > the low four bits and strobe E. Wait for the busy flag to clear, and the
                        > data is sent.
                        >
                        > Tom
                        >
                        > > And yes, most LCDs come with one of two controller chips. There's the
                        > > Hitatchi HD44780 and a motorola or samsung clone that is completely
                        > > identical. They are typically found with the LCD module, and it's
                        > > probably more difficult to find one without the controller on the panel.

                        > http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MPLAB_C18_Libraries_51297f.pdf

                        > >> I use these and they are pretty useful. However, if you don't use their
                        > >> defined IO lines then you need to change the header file and recompile
                        > the
                        > >> ENTIRE C library - ICK! So I copied the source to my own files, changed
                        > >> the function names a bit and only need to re-compile my project code
                        > >> instead of the entire library.
                        > >>
                        > >> DLC

                        > > Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.org
                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Randy M. Dumse
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
                          Ben Estroff said: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 1:37 PM
                          > I couldn't get it to initialize in 4-bit, and after counting
                          > pins, realized I didn't need to.

                          A bit of a wrong idea here. The LCD interface chip comes up in
                          4-bt mode. In the initialization sequence, the codes sent are
                          4-bt commands up until the command to go 8-bits, several lines
                          down. So every time, it starts out in 4-bit mode, and has to be
                          switch it into 8-bit mode, if that's how you want to talk to it.

                          I've used both modes successfully on our 'Pod's, and we have
                          initialization examples on our 'Pod's download page (in
                          Forth/IsoMax(TM)).

                          Randy
                          www.newmicros.com
                        • Chris Parker
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
                            This makes sense, too. If you have only a 4-bit capable device talking
                            to the display, you would be stuck if it initialized to 8-bit, because
                            you wouldn't be able to send it an instruction to make it drop down to
                            4-bit. It has to reset in a mode compatible with the lowest common
                            denominator.

                            -Chris

                          • benedict-list@hawaii.rr.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007

                            • benedict-list@hawaii.rr.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
                                I've never tried that. But since the first LCD display I ever used was a
                                4-bit, it was 8-bit that was new and uncomfortable to me. (Ok, ok, so
                                when I first started it was ALL uncomfortable. But I got used to 4-bit
                                interfacing.)

                                Tom

                                On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Jim McBride wrote:

                                > I also read that safest way for 4 bit mode is to initialize (3x) into
                                > 8 bit mode and then after initialization is complete, set it to 4 bit mode.
                                >

                                > At 03:59 PM 7/31/2007, you wrote:
                                >
                                >> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Ben Estroff wrote:
                                >>
                                >>> Yeah. I tried using Microchip's HD44780 controller codes, and... Yeah.
                                >>> Didn't work so well. Wrote some in-house, and those are working fine.
                                >>>
                                >>> I still don't get how to use 4 bit communications, but I've got enough
                                >>> pins to use the full 8 bit data bus anyway.
                                >>
                                >> With 4-bit, you go through almost the same initialization, except you tell
                                >> it to use 4-bit instead of 8-bit mode.
                                >>
                                >> When sending data, you send the high four bits first, strobe E, then send
                                >> the low four bits and strobe E. Wait for the busy flag to clear, and the
                                >> data is sent.
                                >>
                                >> Tom
                                >>
                                >>> And yes, most LCDs come with one of two controller chips. There's the
                                >>> Hitatchi HD44780 and a motorola or samsung clone that is completely
                                >>> identical. They are typically found with the LCD module, and it's
                                >>> probably more difficult to find one without the controller on the panel.

                                >> <http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MPLAB_C18_Libraries_51297f.pdf>http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MPLAB_C18_Libraries_51297f.pdf

                                >>> Visit the SRS Website at
                                >> <http://www.seattlerobotics.org>http://www.seattlerobotics.org
                                >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
                                >>>

                                > JIMc
                                > x22661
                                > National
                                > Ignition
                                > Facility

                              • Mike Bronosky
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 4, 2007
                                  If you want to learn how to use LCD character displays here is a link to
                                  tutorials
                                  http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/resources.htm
                                  First he shows you how to do it in 8 bit, byte, mode then goes into 4 bit,
                                  nibble, mode.
                                  In using an LCD character display there are 8 or 4 data bits plus control
                                  bits.
                                  If you use 4 data bit mode the other bits of a 8 bit buss can be used to
                                  control the LCD.

                                  Here are the 14 pins
                                  1 Ground
                                  2 V+