mIRC and DSL (Qwest in particular)

  • Larry Barello
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2000
      This doesn't apply to anyone using a dialup connection...

      I have found the mIrc Monday evening chats to be frustrating because it
      takes so long to connect with the server. Well, while poking around the
      news groups I noticed a new one "qwest.dsl" and subscribed. Well, the first
      thing I noticed is a bunch of messages related to things like ICQ and IRC
      and how to jimmy the DLS modems to make the connections work much better.

      Rather than going through the details, here are a couple web sites with tons
      of information for anyone using DSL/ADSL

      http://www.users.qwest.net/~rlutton/ADSL/
      http://www.users.qwest.net/~agondor/

      Now mIrc connects *instantly* with us.chatjunkies.org - and I found a couple
      of extra tidbits to improve security of my home network as well.

      In short, I had to enable wildcard NAT connections (which pretty much
      destroys any security the modem gives me) and then redirect any external
      attempts to connect to NETBIOS on my computer to a bogus internal IP - which
      re-established security.