Proposal: SRS Electronics Parts database

  • Branden Gunn
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2007
      I have a proposal to offer for those who are interested - A database
      of elctronics components, books, code snippets, etc. that are free to
      be shared amongst the SRS members. This is still in the VERY early
      stages of development (read: I came up with it a week ago). I am
      looking for input on the following:

      1. Is there any interest in something like this?
      2. Who is interested in helping configure/Administer the system?
      3. Is there better software to do this than the one I am prototyping?
      (Open Media Lending Database)

      The prototype database is located at: http://www.fsetechinfo.com/srsshare/
      It can be browsed without logging in. If you want to test adding an
      item, log in as srstest (password is srs).

      Things to keep in mind:
      - This database system is designed for lending DVDs, books, etc
      between users, so you may see references to things being borrowed,
      etc. I am changing the database slowly over time to have more robotics
      related stuff in it. Also, I understand that not all items are
      returnable after being borrowed.
      - There are only a few custom fields/item types defined so far. Part
      of the help I would need is adding the right custom fields/item types
      (See MCU as an example)
      - The website has been up for less than 24 hours at this point. It's
      also using the beta version of opendb, so some things may actually be
      buggy.
      - My planned method for getting parts between people was going to be
      either personal pick-up (arranged by email) or bring to the next SRS
      meeting (arranged by email). The database has a built in functionality
      for mailing things, AFAIK, but I don't know if we should plan to use
      it.
      - There may be a way to list items for sale here too. Not sure yet
      if/how it will work.

      Please, let me know if there is any interest, and if you want to help.
      This idea might not take off, but I thought I'd give it a try.

      All constructive input welcome.

      --
      Branden Gunn
      engunneer@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2007
        Branden,

        Can you shall a little bit more of your vision of what would be
        organized on your database (your in the Global sense)? I checked out
        the website and it is, as you stated, a sort of library. What types
        of items would be cataloged? It seems obvious to me that copywrited
        material is an ideal subject, but what might be available in an
        electronic format? Most authors publish in paper so they can make
        money. There are some e-books available, but not many. I have an
        electronic tutorial that I purchased and that item seems like an
        ideal candidate, but how would you enforce a "return" policy? Good
        faith is a lofty ideal, but all our members are very busy. You
        mentioned DVD's and maybe even programs would qualify (kind of like a
        server system) but I would think the size of the files would make
        downloading a lengthy process. Can you expand a bit on what you see
        stored?

        Thanks, Jim.

        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Branden Gunn"
        <engunneer@...> wrote:

        > I have a proposal to offer for those who are interested - A database
        > of elctronics components, books, code snippets, etc. that are free
        > be shared amongst the SRS members. This is still in the VERY early
        > stages of development (read: I came up with it a week ago). I am
        > looking for input on the following:
        >
        > 1. Is there any interest in something like this?
        > 2. Who is interested in helping configure/Administer the system?
        > 3. Is there better software to do this than the one I am
        prototyping?
        > (Open Media Lending Database)
        >
        > The prototype database is located at:
        http://www.fsetechinfo.com/srsshare/
        > It can be browsed without logging in. If you want to test adding an
        > item, log in as srstest (password is srs).
        >
        > Things to keep in mind:
        > - This database system is designed for lending DVDs, books, etc
        > between users, so you may see references to things being borrowed,
        > etc. I am changing the database slowly over time to have more
        robotics
        > related stuff in it. Also, I understand that not all items are
        > returnable after being borrowed.
        > - There are only a few custom fields/item types defined so far. Part
        > of the help I would need is adding the right custom fields/item
        types
        > (See MCU as an example)
        > - The website has been up for less than 24 hours at this point. It's
        > also using the beta version of opendb, so some things may actually
        be
        > buggy.
        > - My planned method for getting parts between people was going to be
        > either personal pick-up (arranged by email) or bring to the next SRS
        > meeting (arranged by email). The database has a built in
        functionality
        > for mailing things, AFAIK, but I don't know if we should plan to use
        > it.
        > - There may be a way to list items for sale here too. Not sure yet
        > if/how it will work.
        >
        > Please, let me know if there is any interest, and if you want to
        help.
        > This idea might not take off, but I thought I'd give it a try.
        >
        > All constructive input welcome.
        >
        > --
        > Branden Gunn
        > engunneer@...
        > branden@...

      • Branden Gunn
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2007
          Thanks for the response, Jim,

          The primary function would be to let people in the SRS share physical
          electronic components. If for example, you have a garage or basement
          full of surplus gear that you want to see put to use, you could put it
          into the database (with the datasheet if available), so that other SRS
          members could take, rent, borrow, or buy it from you, depending on the
          terms you choose. The current system is set up for lending, but the
          nature of electronics would make into something a bit more like
          freecycle. I'm still testing the database, so I'm not sure how the
          lending and return enforcement will work. Additionally, people could
          post their project code for different MCUs, to share with other SRS
          members, or just have somewhere to put it. Actual books would be
          useful as well, for example Z80 reference manuals, Horowitz&Hill, etc.
          to be used as a resource for people in SRS, with the intent that the
          item is eventually returned. The database tracks how long the item has
          been out for, and when it should be returned, etc.

          As an example, due to the mailing list, I picked up a few boxes of
          logic and other useful components, including LCDs. I plan on posting
          them (if it takes off), so that someone can actually use some of these
          parts. I don't know how a lot of this is going to work yet, hence this
          request for comments. I'll admit that I hadn't thought much about
          copyright issues, since I was primarily concerned with components and
          datasheets.

          There are many secondary uses to the database in my "vision". I just
          came up with the idea that this might be a good place for
          ActionControls to show what kinds of parts/kits are available in your
          catalog. I was also planning on simply categorizing all my components
          and uploading datasheets so I can quickly search to see if I have a
          part on hand before I put in a mouser or digikey order. For my parts,
          I was planning on putting in part numbers from the various electronics
          catalogs, as sort of a back reference for re-ordering. This whole
          thing came from me wanting to track my parts and actually keep my
          inventory, since I'm now getting into building things again. I've
          always wanted to make a database to track my components, and I thought
          I should share it if others were interested.

          Thanks for the good input, I'm looking forward to figuring out how
          this all would work and if it would be useful.

          --Branden Gunn

          Branden Gunn
          engunneer@...
          branden@...