Re: [SeattleRobotics] Re: Robotics Companies

  • michael@michaelshiloh.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
      I don't have any experience with them, but I have heard of sites like
      del.ici.ous and others that have a way of making your bookmarks available to
      everyone, using tags to indicate the category. I'm sure there are many uses
      for the tag "robot" and "robotics" which have nothing to do with what we are
      interested in (stuffed playtoys, programs, video games...), but I wonder if a
      tag like "robotic-company" or "robot-employer" is specific enough. Then we all
      could tag our bookmarks appropriately and share them via these services.

      I'm sure others here know more about these services than I do. Would it work?

      Michael

      On Thu, 4 Jan 2007, robotMaker wrote:

      > I do the same as others probably do as well. I did
      > come across a list once, a very long list. Now days
      > the term "robotics" is used very general. Some call
      > remote control machines as robots. Such a rescue teams
      > use. I worked for a company that called their
      > products, robots, but one would not recognize them as
      > such. They did have some intelligence and some were
      > autonomous, but did not look like robots at all.
      >
      > This is a good link that I visit often to see what's
      > new in robotics: www.androidworld.com
      >
      > Cesar
      >

      > --- brianinrenton <brianinrenton@...> wrote:
      >
      >> The advertisers indices in the back of Servo, Nuts
      >> and Volts or Robot
      >> Magazine would be a good start. I also second the
      >> vote for Robot
      >> Builder's Bonanza. Whenever I see an interesting web
      >> site (private or
      >> commercial) I add it to my bookmarks list in my web
      >> browser in an
      >> appropriate (to my needs) sub folder.
      >>

      >> Visit the SRS Website at
      >> http://www.seattlerobotics.org
      >> Yahoo! Groups Links
      >>
      >> (Yahoo! ID required)
      >>
      >> mailto:SeattleRobotics-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

    • Randy M. Dumse
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
        > Something
        > like dealers of parts to potential employers. I was thinking
        > more on the professional end for employers and networking.

        I like the idea in general. I'd like to have my products on any
        list of robotics suppliers. Specifically we do microcontrollers,
        GPS, and Xbee links.

        But it would be wonderful if it were a commercial site
        recognized by everyone as a source for robotics. I'm thinking
        something akin to Gordon McComb's Source Book on line. Maybe we
        could talk Gordon into starting such a site from scratch. Maybe
        he can get a little revenue for listing companies. I think such
        a site would be good for everyone, the suppliers, the builders,
        and Gordon.

        Randy
        www.newmicros.com
      • Kevin Bentley
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
          There's a great site that the military has with a database of robot
          technology and companies. The site is at https://robot.spawar.navy.mil/

          The army also has a good site here: http://www.redstone.army.mil/ugvsjpo/

          I saw a bunch of the army's robots at I/ITSEC this year, they have some cool
          stuff in use. If only I could get a grant to do my own robot development.
          :)

          Kevin Bentley