Re: [SeattleRobotics] Monday Night Chat

  • Richard Greenway
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2006
      I lied. I looked at the parts count for doing what I wanted with a
      555/556 chip. Which I have a bunch of. And just couldn't do it, I had
      a bunch of pics available too. And was able it do it without any
      voltage regulation, or resistors. (I did use one, but that was because
      it was just as easy as using a wire.) And I could have a PRNG
      generating the blinking, which is much nicer then the 555 would have
      done (without adding some random noisy element)

      Anyhow. Just took a couple minutes to code, and a couple more to build.

      Brought them home, and tossed them in the pumpkins.

      I also used a couple of tri-color (red+green+blue) automatic color
      fading LED's for one of them.

      And the 3Watt LED in one that needed a bunch of light to show off the
      fog.

      Anyhow...
      Pictures are here, and there is more description in the comment field
      below the images.

      http://www.fenchurch.org/cgi-bin/ids/index.cgi?mode=album&album=Computing/Halloween2006

      Richard

      > Next week, I'll have photos of my pumpkins this year, which have fog
      > machines, and that 3W LED once again finds it's home in a mushy mellon.
      >
      > If I have time at work tomorrow, I'll make up a blinking superbright red
      > led pumpkin light for some evil eyes. Or maybe find a 556 part (I'm too
      > cheap to use a PIC for this which will just get gutted after tomorrow.)
      > and use some of the Red+Blue LED's I picked up. I have some automatic
      > color changing LED's too, Maybe they would be fun... I'm going to need
      > some more battery packs.. I already cannibalized my palm pilot charger
      > to run the 3watt LED. It's just going to have to live 48 hours with-out
      > a charger. :)
      >
      > Richard
    • Cathy Saxton
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
        Nice! Very funny intro text on the photo gallery page.

        Cathy

        On 10/31/06, Richard Greenway <bj153@...> wrote:
        > I lied. I looked at the parts count for doing what I wanted with a
        > 555/556 chip. Which I have a bunch of. And just couldn't do it, I had
        > a bunch of pics available too. And was able it do it without any
        > voltage regulation, or resistors. (I did use one, but that was because
        > it was just as easy as using a wire.) And I could have a PRNG
        > generating the blinking, which is much nicer then the 555 would have
        > done (without adding some random noisy element)
        >
        > Anyhow. Just took a couple minutes to code, and a couple more to build.
        >
        > Brought them home, and tossed them in the pumpkins.
        >
        > I also used a couple of tri-color (red+green+blue) automatic color
        > fading LED's for one of them.
        >
        > And the 3Watt LED in one that needed a bunch of light to show off the
        > fog.
        >
        > Anyhow...
        > Pictures are here, and there is more description in the comment field
        > below the images.
        >
        > http://www.fenchurch.org/cgi-bin/ids/index.cgi?mode=album&album=Computing/Halloween2006
        >
        > Richard
        >

        > > Next week, I'll have photos of my pumpkins this year, which have fog
        > > machines, and that 3W LED once again finds it's home in a mushy mellon.
        > >
        > > If I have time at work tomorrow, I'll make up a blinking superbright red
        > > led pumpkin light for some evil eyes. Or maybe find a 556 part (I'm too
        > > cheap to use a PIC for this which will just get gutted after tomorrow.)
        > > and use some of the Red+Blue LED's I picked up. I have some automatic
        > > color changing LED's too, Maybe they would be fun... I'm going to need
        > > some more battery packs.. I already cannibalized my palm pilot charger
        > > to run the 3watt LED. It's just going to have to live 48 hours with-out
        > > a charger. :)
        > >
        > > Richard

      • Susan M
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 2006
          Sorry to have been AWOL the last three weeks. Busy with other things.

          Our robotics at co-op is going along smoothly enough. The senior team is just
          repairing their robots from last spring, and using the rangefinders. The
          younger ones are just doing Legos Mindstorms. Got some linefollowers going and
          about to set up a firefighting challenge of sorts for them. Just sort of taking
          an easy semester - we all burned out last spring trying to do a big competition.

          Susan aka Soose