Re: [SeattleRobotics] Re: Linux Journal to publish article next month

  • Triffid Hunter
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
      brianinrenton wrote:
      > I just joined this group and was wondering if there was anyone else
      > here that shared my interests in using Linux (Mac OS/X or FreeBSD) in
      > robotics or machine automation tasks.
      >
      > I look forward to reading your article. I'm just getting back into the
      > electronics hobby after several years of inactivity.

      I use gentoo linux exclusively, and the build tools are excellent for
      robotics, considering there are ports of gcc for both m68hc1x and avr uCs.

      You could also look into SBCs like the gumstix which run linux and would be
      ideal for a robot.
    • Tom Saxton
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
        The free GCC-based Atmel tools work great on OS X (and presumably
        Linux), better than on Windows in my opinion.

        --
        Tom Saxton
        carbonring@...

      • michael@michaelshiloh.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 3, 2006
          An important distinction is whether Linux is used to develop the robot, or
          whether Linux is running on the robot itself.

          I'm more interested in running Linux on my robot. I use the EPIA mini-ITX
          motherboards because they are pretty cheap and run all standard x86 software.
          They are rather power hungry but so far that's not been my problem. Might be
          in the future. I boot Linux from a compact flash card, and I use an automotive
          DC to DC power supply to assure good computer power even when my motors cause
          temporary dips in the battery voltage.

          One of these days I'll start experimenting with computer vision, and intend to
          make use of the OpenCV (or is it OpenCVEyes?) project which uses the free
          Intel computer vision library.

          Michael

          On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Tom Saxton wrote:

          > The free GCC-based Atmel tools work great on OS X (and presumably
          > Linux), better than on Windows in my opinion.
          >
          > --
          > Tom Saxton
          > carbonring@...
          >

          > On 8/2/06, brianinrenton <brianinrenton@...> wrote:
          >> I just joined this group and was wondering if there was anyone else
          >> here that shared my interests in using Linux (Mac OS/X or FreeBSD) in
          >> robotics or machine automation tasks.
          >>
          >> I look forward to reading your article. I'm just getting back into the
          >> electronics hobby after several years of inactivity.

        • James Ronald
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 4, 2006
            Mike,

            I just received my September Issue of Linux Journal today (Issue 149). I
            don't see "Do It Yourself Robots with
            Linux" mentioned in the Next Month Box. I see MisterHouse, F-Spot, Myth-TV
            to VoIP and Beginning Ubuntu. Are we talking about the same Linux Journal?

            Jim

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 4, 2006
              On Friday 04 August 2006 17:10, James Ronald wrote:
              > Mike,
              >
              > I just received my September Issue of Linux Journal today (Issue 149). I
              > don't see "Do It Yourself Robots with
              > Linux" mentioned in the Next Month Box. I see MisterHouse, F-Spot, Myth-TV
              > to VoIP and Beginning Ubuntu. Are we talking about the same Linux Journal?
              >
              > Jim

              Don't know - my Linux Journal has a picture of J.P. Rangaswami on the front,
              titles such as "Clustering Is Not Rocket Science", and on page 4 in the
              little gray box, right between MisterHouse and F-Spot it says "share a
              fascinating experience with do-it-yourself robotics" :-)

              Mike
            • James Ronald
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 4, 2006
                > Mike,
                >
                > I just received my September Issue of Linux Journal today (Issue 149). I
                > don't see "Do It Yourself Robots with
                > Linux" mentioned in the Next Month Box. I see MisterHouse, F-Spot,
                > Myth-TV
                > to VoIP and Beginning Ubuntu. Are we talking about the same Linux
                > Journal?
                >
                > Jim

                Don't know - my Linux Journal has a picture of J.P. Rangaswami on the front,
                titles such as "Clustering Is Not Rocket Science", and on page 4 in the
                little gray box, right between MisterHouse and F-Spot it says "share a
                fascinating experience with do-it-yourself robotics" :-)

                Mike

                Mike

                Ah, your right, mine does as well. I must have looked at it 6 times and
                didn't see it.

                Anyway, congratulations and I'm looking forward to reading your article in
                the October Issue.

                Jim
              • Michael Surran
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
                  On Wednesday 02 August 2006 12:24, michael@... wrote:
                  > This is great! I look forward to reading about your article.
                  >
                  > May I like to it from my website, www.linuxrobots.org? Do you have a
                  > website related to linux robotics?
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Michael

                  Nothing too official as of yet. I usually have the students keep a journal of
                  their work, and I've been thinking of "upgrading" from a journal to an online
                  blog. I'm also taking lots of photos their work and my personal work on
                  upgrading K9, for the day I make a website all about him ( when the dust
                  settles on 1000 other projects that currently have me in their grasp).

                  In the meantime, I do have photos and videos online. Photos are here:
                  videos are here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xBXbzUTu6UU and here:
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=mUNikzYgIf4

                  I'm not sure if those are any interest for your site or not. The last time I
                  published on LJ, they put the story on their website as well, so you might be
                  able to link to it once it goes to print.

                  Thanks for the interest!

                  Mike
                • Michael Surran
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
                    On Wednesday 02 August 2006 12:24, michael@... wrote:
                    > 08/02/06 12:24 pm
                    >
                    > This is great! I look forward to reading about your article.
                    >
                    > May I like to it from my website, www.linuxrobots.org? Do you have a
                    > website related to linux robotics?
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Michael

                    Rule #1 - never write an email half-asleep :-) I wrote back to you but "lost
                    it" somehow.....

                    Anyway, I don't have anything too spectacular of a website. As part of their
                    classwork, I have students keep a journal. I'm toying with the idea
                    of "upgrading" the journal to a blog, which may be of some interest to folks
                    on this list (and your website).

                    In the meantime, here are the links I do have to photos and videos. Not much,
                    might not even be what you're looking for, but maybe:

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
                      On Tuesday 08 August 2006 07:04, Michael Surran wrote:
                      > On Wednesday 02 August 2006 12:24, michael@... wrote:
                      > > 08/02/06 12:24 pm
                      > >
                      > > This is great! I look forward to reading about your article.
                      > >
                      > > May I like to it from my website, www.linuxrobots.org? Do you have a
                      > > website related to linux robotics?
                      > >
                      > > Regards,
                      > > Michael
                      >
                      > Rule #1 - never write an email half-asleep :-) I wrote back to you but
                      > "lost it" somehow.....

                      oooooops..
                    • brianinrenton
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
                        I "googled" for "Linux GCC programming tools" and came up with a ton
                        of hits.

                        If you don't mind, you you post a link to the tools you're using?

                        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Saxton" <carbonring@...>
                        wrote:

                        > The free GCC-based Atmel tools work great on OS X (and presumably
                        > Linux), better than on Windows in my opinion.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Tom Saxton
                        > carbonring@...

                      • Dave Hylands
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
                          > I "googled" for "Linux GCC programming tools" and came up with a ton
                          > of hits.
                          >
                          > If you don't mind, you you post a link to the tools you're using?

                          For the AVR, there's WinAVR (for running under Windows):
                          http://winavr.sourceforge.net/

                          and for linux, there's a fairly up-to-date distribution over here:
                          http://69.204.223.228/~chromiteblue/projects/AVRTC/index.php
                          (I just built this one from source, and I've used the binary as well)

                          For MacOSX I found a couple:
                          http://avr-gcc.darwinports.com/
                          http://ccrma.stanford.edu/courses/250a/toots/avr-osx.html

                          Tom uses the Mac (whereas I don't) so take anything that Tom says with
                          much more authority than anything I may have to say :)

                          --
                          Dave Hylands
                          Vancouver, BC, Canada
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 11, 2006
                            Here's a couple of relevant paragraphs that Tom wrote for the SRS
                            Workshop Robot manual:

                            The easiest option for programming on the Mac is to use the C compiler
                            and UISP downloader available via a package installer from
                            http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~mseeman/resources/macmicro.html. It's an
                            easy install process, but only compiles C, not C++, programs.

                            If you would like to use C++, you'll need to do a full manual install
                            (building all of the tools from source). Fortunately, there are
                            complete instructions in the AVR runtime library manual
                            (avr-libc-user-manual-1.0.4.pdf) available at
                            http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/avr-libc/. Follow the steps in
                            section 7.8, "Installing the GNU Tool Chain." This document also lists
                            the locations for downloading the other tools. One thing to be aware
                            of is that you need to have TeX installed to build AVRDUDE (it's
                            apparently used when building the included documentation); if you have
                            Fink installed, use the command: "fink install tetex". You can avoid
                            this by using the UISP downloader instead of AVRDUDE.

                            Note: The AVR runtime library manual mentioned in the previous
                            paragraph contains lots of useful information for programming the
                            Atmel ATmega processors, making it a good resource regardless of which
                            compiler option you choose.

                            Using these tools requires using the command line interface to the
                            Mac's Unix-based underpinnings. If you don't know how to use the
                            Terminal program, you should read up on that before tackling the
                            install and use of the AVR tools.

                            Cathy (Tom's other half :-) )

                            On 8/8/06, brianinrenton <brianinrenton@...> wrote:

                            > I "googled" for "Linux GCC programming tools" and came up with a ton
                            > of hits.
                            >
                            > If you don't mind, you you post a link to the tools you're using?
                            >
                            > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Saxton" <carbonring@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > The free GCC-based Atmel tools work great on OS X (and presumably
                            > > Linux), better than on Windows in my opinion.
                            > >
                            > > --
                            > > Tom Saxton
                            > > carbonring@...

                          • brianinrenton
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 28, 2006
                              Thanks for the response! This is what I (and a co-worker, neither of
                              us do Windows) needed.

                              --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Hylands" <dhylands@...>
                              wrote:

                              > For the AVR, there's WinAVR (for running under Windows):
                              > http://winavr.sourceforge.net/
                              >
                              > and for linux, there's a fairly up-to-date distribution over here:
                              > http://69.204.223.228/~chromiteblue/projects/AVRTC/index.php
                              > (I just built this one from source, and I've used the binary as well)
                              >
                              > For MacOSX I found a couple:
                              > http://avr-gcc.darwinports.com/
                              > http://ccrma.stanford.edu/courses/250a/toots/avr-osx.html
                              >
                              > Tom uses the Mac (whereas I don't) so take anything that Tom says with
                              > much more authority than anything I may have to say :)
                              >
                              > --
                              > Dave Hylands
                              > Vancouver, BC, Canada
                              > http://www.DaveHylands.com/

                            • brianinrenton
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 22, 2006
                                --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Michael Surran <michael@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Linux Journal has agreed to publish my article, "Do It Yourself
                                > Robots with Linux" in the October Issue.

                                I just read the article. Nicely done. You and your students seem to
                                have some great ideas. I especially like your spirit of "re-purposing"
                                of hardware.