Re: [SeattleRobotics] bot help!

  • Triffid Hunter
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2006
      Victor wrote:
      > Hi, I'm Victor I'm a geek in a sense and an artist. Most of my
      > geekdom is based on low tec stuff; clockwork technology, and
      > woodworking machines. OMG have I gotten myself into one this time.
      > So this friend of mine wants 20 human heads mounted on top of a wall
      > in a hallway with sensors that will track (watch) people walking
      > down the hall. And talk to them with MP3 player tracks.
      >
      > So I've built the heads in ceramic (life size), I've found a
      > windshield wiper motor to drive them each, I've got the stuff to
      > make pivots, shafts, and all the woodworking (framing). I have
      > access to motor controllers that will match the motors, I have
      > access to mp3 players, power supply's and speakers are easy I've
      > picked out a sensor array that I think will work Sharp GP2Y3A002K0F
      > Multi-Beam Ranging Sensor , and I think I've found a microcontroller
      > that should be reliable and smart enough to tell the motor
      > controller what to do. If you have a microcontroller that you are
      > more familiar with I'm certainly not married to the one I found. As
      > far as wiring these things together or programming the chip to
      > understanding the signal that the sensors tell it well I haven't got
      > a clue and I need help. And (of course) my budget is tight. Oh I do
      > have a friend that can put together a breadboard and actually
      > physically wire the stuff together. It's knowledge that I'm missing
      > and I might could use some help working out bugs. Pesky critters
      > those!
      >
      > I might be able to afford some actual money in trade for some help
      > with this or trade something. I do some really phenomenal
      > woodworking design/build or I have a metal lathe and can build parts
      > that you're having problems getting to. Anyone need any really
      > strong wooden gears? I'm going to download a set of photographs of
      > my automatons if anyone wants to see them look up the photo
      > file "Victor Machines"
      >
      > Thank you!

      I made a circuit with a couple of LDRs, a 555 timer, some discretes and an R/C
      servo which tracked sources of light.. You could potentially do the same with
      a pyro-electric detector or two, or maybe even just IR phototransistors if you
      calibrate them well. Remember, people are warm, and therefore emit infra-red
      light :)