Any PIC classes?

  • David
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2006
      Hi, all
      I've recently just gotten back into doing some embedded
      development projects, inclusing robotics. I have done some stuff
      before, but it has been 10+ years since I have done anything
      serious. Given that it has become the new "defacto" standard in
      embedded processors, and most of the parts translate well into the
      Atmel series, I have chosen the PIC series of microcontrollers to get
      back into the swing with. I bought Microchip's ICD (in circuit
      debugger/programmer), and have been doing a bit to familiarize myself
      with their debugger/developemtn system/assembler, but I find that it
      has been long enough that I need some help getting over the initial
      hump of familiarization to get going again. So, my question: Does
      anybody know of a good intro course to the PIC processors/IDE
      developement system out there in this area? A day or two type course
      should be sufficient--I have enough background to not be a complete
      newbie ;)--just want to efficiently get up to speed on using the
      tools, then I can work on the projects, to teach myself how to
      decently program---nothing beats hands on for learning--especially if
      you also read and learn from others hard lessons as well.:) I'd
      appreciate any info anybody could provide. Thanks!
      David H.
    • michael taylor
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2006
        On 7/3/06, David <Davidh359@...> wrote:

        > hump of familiarization to get going again. So, my question: Does
        > anybody know of a good intro course to the PIC processors/IDE
        > developement system out there in this area? A day or two type course
        > should be sufficient--I have enough background to not be a complete

        If you haven't visited the PIC list mailing list's website, do so. It
        has a ton of information. <http://www.piclist.com/>.

        I don't know about classroom based courses, but one free online course
        with downloadable PDF files written for an adult audience with
        "common" electronics knowledge is the AmQRP Elmer 160 course written
        by John McDonough, <http://www.amqrp.org/elmer160/>.
      • Michael Surran
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2006
          On Monday 03 July 2006 06:47 pm, David wrote:
          > Hi, all
          > I've recently just gotten back into doing some embedded
          > development projects, inclusing robotics. I have done some stuff
          > before, but it has been 10+ years since I have done anything
          > serious. Given that it has become the new "defacto" standard in
          > embedded processors, and most of the parts translate well into the
          > Atmel series, I have chosen the PIC series of microcontrollers to get
          > back into the swing with. I bought Microchip's ICD (in circuit
          > debugger/programmer), and have been doing a bit to familiarize myself
          > with their debugger/developemtn system/assembler, but I find that it
          > has been long enough that I need some help getting over the initial
          > hump of familiarization to get going again. So, my question: Does
          > anybody know of a good intro course to the PIC processors/IDE
          > developement system out there in this area? A day or two type course
          > should be sufficient--I have enough background to not be a complete
          > newbie ;)--just want to efficiently get up to speed on using the
          > tools, then I can work on the projects, to teach myself how to
          > decently program---nothing beats hands on for learning--especially if
          > you also read and learn from others hard lessons as well.:) I'd
          > appreciate any info anybody could provide. Thanks!
          > David H.

          I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but from somebody who is
          too far away from "civilization" to attend such a class and thus had to learn
          PICs totally on my own, I'd like to recommend the book, "Programming &
          Customizing PICmicro Microcontrollers" by Myke Pedko.

          When I first opened the manual to my first PIC (16F676), I got lost pretty
          quick, even though I used to program assembly on the 6502 back in the day.
          I've browsed a number of books at the bookstore, and nothing really seemed to
          "trip my trigger". I found this book online (amazon.com), and got it through
          their 2nd hand program for $17 (not bad for 960 pages). It enabled me to
          understand PICs on my own, and I've been doing all sorts of nifty things with
          them ever since. It's both a good read and a good resource.

          Anywho, just 2c from someone who is "self taught" with PICs.

          Michael
        • David
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2006
            > I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but from
            somebody who is
            > too far away from "civilization" to attend such a class and thus
            had to learn
            > PICs totally on my own, I'd like to recommend the
            book, "Programming &
            > Customizing PICmicro Microcontrollers" by Myke Pedko.
            >
            > When I first opened the manual to my first PIC (16F676), I got lost
            pretty
            > quick, even though I used to program assembly on the 6502 back in
            the day.
            > I've browsed a number of books at the bookstore, and nothing really
            seemed to
            > "trip my trigger". I found this book online (amazon.com), and got
            it through
            > their 2nd hand program for $17 (not bad for 960 pages). It enabled
            me to
            > understand PICs on my own, and I've been doing all sorts of nifty
            things with
            > them ever since. It's both a good read and a good resource.
            >
            > Anywho, just 2c from someone who is "self taught" with PICs.
            >
            > Michael

            Hi, Mike
            Thanks for the reply, and the reccomendation--I'll check out the
            reference, and see if I can get the book. Thanks again!
            David
          • David
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2006
              > I don't know about classroom based courses, but one free online course
              > with downloadable PDF files written for an adult audience with
              > "common" electronics knowledge is the AmQRP Elmer 160 course written
              > by John McDonough, <http://www.amqrp.org/elmer160/>.

              Thanks for the link--I'll definately check it out. I just realized how
              different many of the new routines and initialization routines are, as
              well as learning this particular assembler.(Yes, I want to learn the
              nitty gritty asembler and feel comfortable before moving onto a C
              compiler :)) It's always fun to find out how ignorant you are, and
              what it takes to cure that ignorance :) Thanks again!
            • Kinsey Fobes
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 4, 2006
                David

                Where are you located? I'm pretty familiar with the PIC chip and would be
                glad to give you a 1 on 1 familiarization class on using the chip with the
                assembler.

                Kinsey Fobes

              • Buffington Effects
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 5, 2006
                  The Seattle Robotics SocietyI got started with PICs by reading Easy Pic'n
                  and by checking out the data sheets. I'll second the piclist.com
                  recommendation. If you are programming in assembly, it is the best resource
                  out there. When you are ready to step up to a C compiler, you might take a
                  look at CCS's C compiler. They make it easy to do things by removing the
                  need to consult the data sheet most of the time. It's not fully ANSI C
                  compliant because of that but if you know C, you'll transition into using
                  this compiler easily and appreciate all of the things that are non-standard
                  but make life easily for you.

                  In a related note, I just bought a development kit for the 8051 processors
                  that Silicon Laboratories makes. I'm thinking about doing the same by
                  learning the assembly language first and then moving over to C to make my
                  programming time better spent. Does anyone here have a suggestion about
                  what C compiler to use? I'm looking for something that is a pretty polished
                  product so that I don't have to go into the assembly code and figure out why
                  the chip isn't doing what it should because of compiler bugs. I would like
                  something like the CCS compiler where they allow you to set up your
                  peripherals using calls like #use rs232(baud=115200,xmit=PIN_C6,rcv=PIN_C7)
                  instead of having to consult the data sheet to figure out which registers I
                  need to load and do a little experimentaion to get it to work...

                  -Jack

                • David
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 5, 2006
                    --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Kinsey Fobes" <kinsey@...>
                    wrote:
                    Hi, Kinsey
                    I live in Bellevue, but am willing to travel anywhere in the
                    greater Seattle area. I would, of course, be happy to compensate you
                    for your time as well. Thanks for the offer!
                    David H.
                    > David
                    >

                    > Where are you located? I'm pretty familiar with the PIC chip and
                    would be
                    > glad to give you a 1 on 1 familiarization class on using the chip
                    with the
                    > assembler.
                    >

                    > Kinsey Fobes

                  • Nick Fox
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
                      if you guys don't mind, I'd like to come along and participate also. I
                      live in Issaquah.

                      Nick