I need a good beginners book

  • D T
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 6, 2006
      I am totally new to all this but do have electtonics training.
      I need the name of a good book for beginners.
      I have a project in mind and need plenty of info.
    • actioncontrols
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28, 2006
        Look at Beginning Robot Building and Intermediate Robot Building by
        David Cook. This series is one of the best I have seen, especially
        for the mechanical side of robots. For parts, supplies, and ideas try
        the Robot Builders Sourcebook by Gordon McComb. Any of these may be
        available through you local library system, depending on where you
        are. If you haven't done much programming, check out
        www.smileymicros.com for a good introduction to C programming and the
        AVR processor. If you hit particular snags, you'll find everyone on
        this list server quite helpfull. Good Luck, Jim.

        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "D T" <waxhawdon@...> wrote:

        > I am totally new to all this but do have electtonics training.
        > I need the name of a good book for beginners.
        > I have a project in mind and need plenty of info.

      • waxhawdon
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28, 2006
          Very good info. Thanks very much. I posted the request about 2 or 3 weeks ago and yours is the only reply I received.
          Don

          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "D T" wrote:

          > I am totally new to all this but do have electtonics training.
          > I need the name of a good book for beginners.
          > I have a project in mind and need plenty of info.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • dan michaels
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29, 2006
            --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, waxhawdon <waxhawdon@...>
            wrote:

            > Very good info. Thanks very much. I posted the request about 2 or
            3 weeks ago and yours is the only reply I received.
            > Don

            Hi Don. There are a number of other beginner's robotics books,
            several of which should be available at Branes+Nobles and Borders,
            although they seem to carry fewer in stock these days than 2-3 years
            ago.

            newer:
            "Robot Building for Dummies" by Roger Arrick & Nancy Sevenson
            "Absolute Beginner's Guide to Building Robots" by Gareth Branwyn
            "Robots, Androids and Animatrons" by John Iovine
            "PIC Robotics: A Beginner's Guide to Robotics Projects Using the PIC
            Micro" by John Iovine

            old favorites:
            "Robot Builder's Bonanza" by Gordon McComb
            "Build Your Own Robot!" by Karl Lunt
            "Mobile Robots" by Joe Jones, Anita Flynn, & Bruce Sieger

            walkers:
            "Insectronics: Build Your Own Walking Robot" by Karl Williams
            "Amphibionics: Build Your Own Biologically Inspired Reptilian Robot"
            by Karl Williams

            My personal favorite is "Mobile Robots" by Jones et al, as it's a
            nice systematic coverage of all aspects of hardware, plus a lot about
            subsumption-based software programming. Older, published 1999.

            Joe Jones' new book "Robot Programming" is also quite good, but more
            advanced and better as a 2nd read.

            The following is a classic on the thought experiment end of
            things .. "Vehicles: Experiments in Synthetic Psychology" by
            Valentino Braitenburg.

            have fun,
            - dan michaels
            www.oricomtech.com
            =====================

            > actioncontrols <actioncontrols@...> wrote:
            > Look at Beginning Robot Building and Intermediate Robot Building
            by
            > David Cook. This series is one of the best I have seen, especially
            > for the mechanical side of robots. For parts, supplies, and ideas
            try
            > the Robot Builders Sourcebook by Gordon McComb. Any of these may be
            > available through you local library system, depending on where you
            > are. If you haven't done much programming, check out
            > www.smileymicros.com for a good introduction to C programming and
            the
            > AVR processor. If you hit particular snags, you'll find everyone on
            > this list server quite helpfull. Good Luck, Jim.
            >

            > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "D T" wrote:
            > >
            > > I am totally new to all this but do have electtonics training.
            > > I need the name of a good book for beginners.
            > > I have a project in mind and need plenty of info.

          • Susan M
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 30, 2006
              I learned a good bit by browsing through the robot gallery online at Arrick
              Robotics. Seeing what others had built.

              This question comes up frequently. (And I am still looking for novice books
              myself.) I almost wonder though...

              I've been watching the kids in my older co-op team. We taped their contribution
              for Robofest yesterday. (They did not finish all the way but leaped ahead in
              their skills and confidence. I have no doubt that they could build a bot of
              their own design now, or take a book like David Cook's and build sandwich and
              really build that, too.)

              Maybe the way to start out is to find some simpler bots to build that are not
              that involved, like the one you can make out of an old computer mouse or even
              simpler. And build at least one small bot that way? THEN move on to the good
              beginner's book and build something like Sandwich.

              Just musing...
              Susan