Re: Death Robots

  • stephane641
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 4, 2006
      I remember doing the first tests one night at 3am behind a shopping
      mall with my buddy. It was pretty exciting.

      The target tracking method was fairly simplistic but worked ok.
      We started by using IR encoder chips made by Holtek but we quickly
      realised that this incurred way too much overhead and thus caused
      major detection lag.
      IR is also a big problem as it bounced on the arena walls causing
      "ghost" detections.

      Our team came up with a better solution using a rotating laser scanner
      coupled with 3M reflecting stripes on the opposing robot. This worked
      much better but I never got the scanner to scan sufficiently fast as
      laser beam got too dim at high rates.

      I now have the knowledge to do the same using computer vision so I'd
      have to crank up a prototype to show at the next meeting.

      later,

      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Leppard" <DLeppard@c...>
      wrote:

      > I was very impressed on that one video and the two hits you made with
      > the paintball.
      >
      > Doug Leppard

    • Brian Dean
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 4, 2006
        On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 07:46:47PM -0000, stephane641 wrote:

        > Well, I wouldn't consider ours as dangerous as they had an enclosing
        > arena and a max firing rate (once every 5 seconds max) and a max of
        > 5-6 shots.
        >
        > we had pretty good rules defined too.

        Your setup looked great. Perhaps the Robomagellan rule makers would
        consider a cone "touch" satisfied by a paintball splat. Certainly
        would make that contest more exciting and solve that pesky spectator
        problem of people getting in the way :-) BYOG - bring your own
        goggles.

        -Brian