using garage door safety swich as bumper for robot

  • michael@michaelshiloh.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 29, 2005
      Hi,

      I'm looking for a flexible bumper switch I can install around my robot,
      and a friend suggested those rubber safety switches found at the bottom
      of some garage doors, designed to detect an obstruction (like a toy or a
      pet) and reverse the garage door.

      Has anyone tried using these? Any comments?

      Where can I get these? I've tried searching garage door supply places on
      the web but as yet have not found these switches. Perhaps they are being
      replaced with light beam switches, of which I found plenty.

      Does anyone have a different suggestions?

      A picture of my robot is at www.linuxrobots.org/wiki/michael_shiloh, if
      you are curious.

      Thanks,
      Michael
    • Tiger
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 30, 2005
        How about a nice soft length of large surgical tubing with one end
        plugged and the other end going to a pressure transducer or switch?

        ...Tiger

        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, michael@m... wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm looking for a flexible bumper switch I can install around my robot,
        > and a friend suggested those rubber safety switches found at the bottom
        > of some garage doors, designed to detect an obstruction (like a toy or a
        > pet) and reverse the garage door.
        >
        > Has anyone tried using these? Any comments?
        >
        > Where can I get these? I've tried searching garage door supply places on
        > the web but as yet have not found these switches. Perhaps they are being
        > replaced with light beam switches, of which I found plenty.
        >
        > Does anyone have a different suggestions?
        >
        > A picture of my robot is at www.linuxrobots.org/wiki/michael_shiloh, if
        > you are curious.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Michael

      • Tiger
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 30, 2005
          All hobby shops carry the tubing because it's used for fuel line on
          model planes. I'd use the rubber stuff for best performance. Just
          don't bump our wife! :)

          ...Tiger

          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, michael@m... wrote:

          > That's a great idea, and probably a fair bit cheaper than the industrial
          > ribbon and bumper switches I found at McMaster-Carr (e.g. 7379K2)
          >
          > Thanks for the suggestion! Do you happen to have a favorite source for
          > the tubing? My wife is horribly allergic to latex (rubber) so I'd have
          > to find a plastic variety.
          >
          > Michael
          >

          > On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Tiger wrote:
          >
          > > How about a nice soft length of large surgical tubing with one end
          > > plugged and the other end going to a pressure transducer or switch?
          > >
          > > ...Tiger
          > >

          > > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, michael@m... wrote:
          > >>
          > >> Hi,
          > >>
          > >> I'm looking for a flexible bumper switch I can install around my
          robot,
          > >> and a friend suggested those rubber safety switches found at the
          bottom
          > >> of some garage doors, designed to detect an obstruction (like a
          toy or a
          > >> pet) and reverse the garage door.
          > >>
          > >> Has anyone tried using these? Any comments?
          > >>
          > >> Where can I get these? I've tried searching garage door supply
          places on
          > >> the web but as yet have not found these switches. Perhaps they
          are being
          > >> replaced with light beam switches, of which I found plenty.
          > >>
          > >> Does anyone have a different suggestions?
          > >>
          > >> A picture of my robot is at
          www.linuxrobots.org/wiki/michael_shiloh, if
          > >> you are curious.
          > >>
          > >> Thanks,
          > >> Michael
          > >>

          > > Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.org
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Daniel Marsh
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 30, 2005
            Another good bet would be any fishing/tackle shop. I have even seen
            tubing like that in the fishing section of drug stores.

            -Daniel Marsh

            >All hobby shops carry the tubing because it's used for fuel line on
            >model planes. I'd use the rubber stuff for best performance. Just
            >don't bump our wife! :)
            >
            > ...Tiger
            >

            >--- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, michael@m... wrote:
            >

            >>That's a great idea, and probably a fair bit cheaper than the industrial
            >>ribbon and bumper switches I found at McMaster-Carr (e.g. 7379K2)
            >>
            >>Thanks for the suggestion! Do you happen to have a favorite source for
            >>the tubing? My wife is horribly allergic to latex (rubber) so I'd have
            >>to find a plastic variety.
            >>
            >>Michael
            >>

            >>On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Tiger wrote:
            >>

            >>>How about a nice soft length of large surgical tubing with one end
            >>>plugged and the other end going to a pressure transducer or switch?
            >>>
            >>> ...Tiger

            >robot,

            >bottom

            >toy or a

            >places on

            >are being

            >www.linuxrobots.org/wiki/michael_shiloh, if

            >>>Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.org
            >>>Yahoo! Groups Links

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Paul Jurczak
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 30, 2005
              Micheal,

              have a look at http://www.tapeswitch.com/ . These sensors are suitable only for larger robots - they are not very sensitive - collision with a small cat is unlikely to trigger them.

              Paul.

              SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com wrote:From: michael@...
              Subject: using garage door safety swich as bumper for robot

              Hi,

              I'm looking for a flexible bumper switch I can install around my robot,
              and a friend suggested those rubber safety switches found at the bottom
              of some garage doors, designed to detect an obstruction (like a toy or a
              pet) and reverse the garage door.

              Has anyone tried using these? Any comments?

              Where can I get these? I've tried searching garage door supply places on
              the web but as yet have not found these switches. Perhaps they are being
              replaced with light beam switches, of which I found plenty.

              Does anyone have a different suggestions?

              A picture of my robot is at www.linuxrobots.org/wiki/michael_shiloh, if
              you are curious.

              Thanks,
              Michael

            • sd211mba
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 30, 2005
                Try Hardware stores, something like HomeDepot or Lowe's. They have
                good selection of plastic tubing in plumbing section. The store near
                me has nice variety of silicon tubing.

                Sergey

                --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Marsh <dmarsh@s...>

              • michael@michaelshiloh.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 30, 2005

                • michael@michaelshiloh.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 30, 2005
                    Thanks for the tip. I've since found that silicon tubing is also
                    available.

                  • michael@michaelshiloh.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 30, 2005
                      That's the stuff. One version is sensitive to 8 oz - I think that will
                      work for me. I wonder if they sell small quantities. I've sent them a
                      letter asking for a local distributor.

                      Regards,
                      Michael

                    • tbrenke@verizon.net
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 30, 2005
                        those switches you are talking about are just air bags with bleed holes.
                        when a rapid change in presure is detected they send a signal (close a
                        switch)

                        michael@... wrote:

                        >Hi,
                        >
                        >I'm looking for a flexible bumper switch I can install around my robot,
                        >and a friend suggested those rubber safety switches found at the bottom
                        >of some garage doors, designed to detect an obstruction (like a toy or a
                        >pet) and reverse the garage door.
                        >
                        >Has anyone tried using these? Any comments?
                        >
                        >Where can I get these? I've tried searching garage door supply places on
                        >the web but as yet have not found these switches. Perhaps they are being
                        >replaced with light beam switches, of which I found plenty.
                        >
                        >Does anyone have a different suggestions?
                        >
                        >A picture of my robot is at www.linuxrobots.org/wiki/michael_shiloh, if
                        >you are curious.
                        >
                        >Thanks,
                        >Michael

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Rich Chandler
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 30, 2005
                          At 7:50 PM -0800 12/30/05, tbrenke@... wrote:
                          >those switches you are talking about are just air bags with bleed holes.
                          >when a rapid change in presure is detected they send a signal (close a
                          >switch)

                          I remember when gas stations used to have rubber hoses laid across the pump
                          area so that when people drove up, the air pressure would push up a plunger
                          to ring a bell.

                          Of course, this was in New Jersey, where, like Oregon, they don't believe
                          mere civilians are qualified to pump gas.
                        • Richard Greenway
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 30, 2005
                            If anyone is interested in a Sun SparcStation ELC
                            I have one for free. It works but I just don't have the use for it
                            anymore.

                            This is a netboot only box, (though there is a scsi port, you might be
                            able to get it to boot from a scsi hdd. (I might have one of those too.)

                            I was running Redhat Linux 5.2 Sparc edition on it last time I used it.
                            (wow now that dates it, it was old enough then that I got it for free.)

                            Thanks

                            Richard
                            www.fenchurch.org
                          • chiefprefect
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 31, 2005
                              Hey sure, I would like it. But there is one problem, I live in
                              Pakistan. So how can I get it??
                            • William Crolley
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 2, 2006
                                Tape Switch does sell small quantities, also "variety packs" for if you are
                                not sure of what to get. Very good product, easy to use, and they are
                                helpful with questions. Bad news is that their stuff is fairly expensive,
                                with no volume discounts it will cost about $50 to $200 for enough for one
                                robot.

                                William Crolley