OT computer backup question

  • Randy Carter
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
      Of the thanksgiving holiday my computer's OS developed brain damage and
      I had to reformat the HD. Unfortunately I didn't have a back up. I've
      ordered the parts to build a 40 GB USB external hard disk system.

      My question is, does anybody have recommendations for back up software?
      It should be able to do quick changed file backups on a daily basis and
      full backups once a month . My OS is windows XP SP2.
    • Kevin Ross
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
        Being the kind of guy who is either really busy or terribly lazy, I decided
        to use an online backup service. I have been using http://www.atbackup.com/

        The idea is that every night at 3am, my machine is automatically backed up
        to an offsite server. You specify what directories and/or files you want
        backed up. The service keeps the past 3 months of data.

        Backups are done incrementally, so only the changed files are backed up. You
        can restore to any version of the file in the past 3 months. I have used
        this service for about 5 years now. Nice things include the fact that
        everything is done for me, I have no stack of CD-ROM's to keep track of, and
        all of the data is stored somewhere else so if my house burns down or
        someone swipes my machine, I have the important stuff elsewhere.

        The backup dataset is determined by size. It will backup 250mb of data every
        day for $49.95 a year, or 500mb of data for $100 a year, and so forth. This
        is great if you have broadband access.

        Anyway, that's how I do it.

        Kevin

      • Alan King
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
          Randy Carter wrote:

          >Of the thanksgiving holiday my computer's OS developed brain damage and
          >I had to reformat the HD. Unfortunately I didn't have a back up. I've
          >ordered the parts to build a 40 GB USB external hard disk system.

          If you're using windows xp, use Bart's PE to make a bootable CD. That
          way at least if your HD/OS looses it, you can boot and take off whatever
          files are still intact.

          Norton Ghost is the main program I hear the best about, makes a
          complete backup of the drive, not sure about incremental. Still haven't
          gotten it myself though, my data is backed up as it comes in by other
          means, so not much need for me.

          Alan
        • Chuck Harrison
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
            Hi,

            I'm a backup slacker, but I've used the shareware WinRAR
            http://www.rarlab.com/ to write compressed archives onto an
            external disk. My external disk box has firewire and USB;
            I find firewire to be faster.

            BTW the box has a generic ATA interface inside. I've found it's
            convenient to keep old disks around (e.g. from retired machines).
            It's easy to swap in any disk and read it over firewire. It
            works for me on several flavors of Windows and Mac OSX.

            Peace, bits,
            Chuck

            Randy Carter wrote:

            > Of the thanksgiving holiday my computer's OS developed brain damage and
            > I had to reformat the HD. Unfortunately I didn't have a back up. I've
            > ordered the parts to build a 40 GB USB external hard disk system.
            >
            > My question is, does anybody have recommendations for back up software?
            > It should be able to do quick changed file backups on a daily basis and
            > full backups once a month . My OS is windows XP SP2.

          • Doug Leppard
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
              Look at
              http://www.cmsproducts.com/products_backup.htm

              Backs up to a portable USB hard disk. You can set it up to remind you
              every so often like once a week to do a backup. Then once you plug in
              the hard disk it will start the backup automatically.

              It's like mom reminding you to do your backup.

              Doug Leppard

              Randy Carter wrote:

              > Of the thanksgiving holiday my computer's OS developed brain damage
              and
              > I had to reformat the HD. Unfortunately I didn't have a back up.
              I've
              > ordered the parts to build a 40 GB USB external hard disk system.
              >
              > My question is, does anybody have recommendations for back up
              software?
              > It should be able to do quick changed file backups on a daily basis
              and
              > full backups once a month . My OS is windows XP SP2.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Jeffrey Birt
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
                I second the vote for Norton Ghost 9. Make sure you get version 9 or later
                as it will back up on the fly does a base backup and then incremtal
                backups. I use it on my office PC and do one base (full) backup once a week
                and do three incrmentals each day and have it set to only keep the latest
                two backups to save storage space.

                On 11/28/05, Alan King <alan@...> wrote:

                > Randy Carter wrote:
                >
                > >Of the thanksgiving holiday my computer's OS developed brain damage and
                > >I had to reformat the HD. Unfortunately I didn't have a back up. I've
                > >ordered the parts to build a 40 GB USB external hard disk system.
                > >

                > If you're using windows xp, use Bart's PE to make a bootable CD. That
                > way at least if your HD/OS looses it, you can boot and take off whatever
                > files are still intact.
                >
                > Norton Ghost is the main program I hear the best about, makes a
                > complete backup of the drive, not sure about incremental. Still haven't
                > gotten it myself though, my data is backed up as it comes in by other
                > means, so not much need for me.
                >
                > Alan

                Jeff Birt
                Electronics Engineer
                Integrated Systems Facility
                University of Missouri - Rolla
                573.341.6058

              • Larry Barello
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
                  I beat everyone for laziness: I got a Promise RAID controller ($49) and a
                  second 160 gb hard drive ($80) and set up a RAID 0 system. Now I don't even
                  have to back up... One drive is an exact mirror of the other so I can lose
                  one and never skip a beat. Newer MB have the raid controller built in.

                  The probability of losing two drives in the time it takes to get a second
                  drive and replace the defective one is very small (what, 2-3 days out of
                  ~100,000 hours?) so the system is very robust.

                  Now, a natural or human disaster could still trash both drives, but if that
                  happens I will take it as a sign that I need a new line of work.

                  Cheers!

                  -----------
                  Larry Barello
                  www.barello.net

                • Daniel Marsh
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
                    Raid 0 stripes your data across two or more disks. It will increase
                    performance, but also increases the likelihood of failure by a factor of
                    n, where n is the number of disks in the stripe. If any drive in a
                    stripe bites the dust, you are out all your data. I think you meant to
                    say Raid 1, which is mirroring. There are some consumer level boards
                    that support Raid 5 (interleaved parity - for which you will need 3 or
                    more drives), which gives you the data protection of a mirror, without
                    sacrificing half your storage capacity for redundancy. Some boards also
                    support raid 0+1, which combines mirroring and striping, though you need
                    4 drives to do it...

                    Relying on raid to protect your data is not enough. Raid will not help
                    you in the event of data/filesystem corruption, a power event that fries
                    your system or a fire that burns your house down. You need a backup
                    strategy.

                    I keep a strict seperation between my OS and data drives. On my data
                    drives, I perform a differential backup to an external firewire hdd at
                    least once a week and keep at least 8 diffs, to try and keep as many
                    file revisions as possible. If you simply keep the most recent backup
                    and have a corrupted file, then the only copy of the file that is backed
                    up may be corrupted as well.

                    For my OS drive, I use Drive Image to keep a snapshot of my system as it
                    existed just after a clean install of Windows, all drivers, my most
                    critical programs, etc. If I develope a good case of winrot, I can
                    always restore to this clean image and be back up and running in 30-45
                    minutes, rather than waste a day on reinstalling Windows. I also keep a
                    "most recent" disk image of my OS drive, just in case the drive itself
                    bit the dust, rather than a case of Windows turning to mush.

                    If you backup to an external drive, please make sure to disconnect the
                    drive from the computer and the wall outlet after you finish your
                    backup. If you leave it connected, a power event may fry both your
                    original and your backup in one fell swoop. Better yet, try and keep it
                    in a fire-resistant safe, or better still, take it offsite to your place
                    of work.

                    Daniel Marsh
                    Base 10 Computers
                    base10@...
                    425-443-7070

                    >I beat everyone for laziness: I got a Promise RAID controller ($49) and a
                    >second 160 gb hard drive ($80) and set up a RAID 0 system. Now I don't even
                    >have to back up... One drive is an exact mirror of the other so I can lose
                    >one and never skip a beat. Newer MB have the raid controller built in.
                    >
                    >The probability of losing two drives in the time it takes to get a second
                    >drive and replace the defective one is very small (what, 2-3 days out of
                    >~100,000 hours?) so the system is very robust.
                    >
                    >Now, a natural or human disaster could still trash both drives, but if that
                    >happens I will take it as a sign that I need a new line of work.
                    >
                    >Cheers!
                    >
                    >-----------
                    >Larry Barello
                    >www.barello.net

                  • Chris Myers
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
                      WinXP comes with a Backup utility built in (Programs|Accessories|System
                      Tools). It can do Normal, Copy, Incremental, Differential, and Daily
                      backups (see tool for definitions). You can have it backup to an external
                      drive, and you can schedule the backups however you like.

                      It says it can back up all data on the computer and even create a system
                      recovery disk to restore Windows in case of a major failure. You can also
                      individually select what you want it to backup.

                      This utility is available in XP Pro, I don't know if it is ships with XP
                      Home.

                      -Chris

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 28, 2005
                        At 7:38 PM -0600 11/28/05, Jeffrey Birt wrote:
                        >I second the vote for Norton Ghost 9. Make sure you get version 9 or later
                        >as it will back up on the fly does a base backup and then incremtal
                        >backups. I use it on my office PC and do one base (full) backup once a week
                        >and do three incrmentals each day and have it set to only keep the latest
                        >two backups to save storage space.

                        Just got Ghost 10. Haven't even installed it yet. It's got to be better
                        than the Nero BackItUp that came with my DVD drive. That would choke on
                        files like NTUser.dat.

                        I finally straightened out the install issue when my boss brought by
                        another CD to point to for the files. Still no idea what was wrong with
                        the upgrade CD we got originally.
                      • PeterBalch
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 29, 2005
                          I always have a second hard drive in my computer(s) and (almost daily)
                          backup from the C drive to the D drive. It's fast and easy so it means I do
                          it often. If the C drive crashes then I've got an almost identical copy.

                          More rarely, I write a CD of all my important directories (not just the
                          changed files) and keep the CD off-site in case the house burns down.

                          I'll admit that a virus could wipe both my C and D drives but I'd probably
                          spot something odd was happening before it had chewed more than 20% of the
                          way through C.

                          Whenever I buy a new computer, I just install the old D drive and I can
                          quickly copy the whole thing onto the new C.

                          I did once write a screensaver which continually copied the changed files
                          from C into the corresponding D directory. I'll email a copy to anyone who
                          wants it.

                          > WinXP comes with a Backup utility built in (Programs|Accessories|System
                          > Tools). It can do Normal, Copy, Incremental, Differential, and Daily
                          > backups (see tool for definitions).

                          That sounds good. I don't see it on my Home XP though.

                          Peter
                        • Randy Carter
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 29, 2005
                            When the computer is a laptop there in no space allocated for a second
                            HD. It has to be some kind of external drive. It cheapest is a USB
                            interfaced hard disk drive.