Re: [SeattleRobotics] Local Robotics Parts

  • Michael Donnellan
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
      I guess I would need to know what he means by "parts." Are we talking IC's
      and electronics, or machine (mill, lathe, etc.) parts, or off the shelf bot
      kits?

      Mike

      On 11/3/05 4:16 PM, "Cathy Saxton" <cathysaxton@...> wrote:

      > If there were a merchant in the Bellevue/Redmond area that was
      > interested in stocking parts for robot builders, what kinds of stuff
      > would you like to see them carry?
      >
      > (I was asked that question by someone interested in stocking robot
      > parts since he's aware that robotics is getting pretty popular; I
      > figured I'd check the group for a variety of ideas.)
      >
      > Having some place local to buy parts would be great -- instant
      > gratification and no shipping costs!
      >
      > Cathy

    • Cathy Saxton
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
        Hi Michael.

        Thanks for asking for a clarification.

        These would be parts that you would use in a bot (or when building a
        small-ish bot [e.g. X-acto, not mill/lathe parts]). Dave's list is a
        great example. Also things like switches (slide, tact, lever) and
        standoffs.

        Cathy

        On 11/3/05, Michael Donnellan <m.w.donnellan@...> wrote:
        > I guess I would need to know what he means by "parts." Are we talking IC's
        > and electronics, or machine (mill, lathe, etc.) parts, or off the shelf bot
        > kits?
        >
        > Mike
      • Nate W
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
          On 11/3/05, Cathy Saxton <cathysaxton@...> wrote:
          > If there were a merchant in the Bellevue/Redmond area that was
          > interested in stocking parts for robot builders, what kinds of stuff
          > would you like to see them carry?

          A big selection of small fasteners - 2mm though 6mm and/or 2-56 though
          1/4-20 nuts and socket head cap screws, washers, grommets, etc.

          Raw materials - sheets, rods, and tubes of aluminum, acrylic,
          polycarbonate, ABS, etc.

          PIC and/or AVR chips, dev boards, etc.

          Motors and motor controllers, servos and servo controllers, batteries
          and chargers.

          A laser cutter would be super cool. I'm not sure how the economics
          would work out, but it's worth doing some math on the cost of the
          cutter vs. dollars-per-hour usage fees to see what it would take to
          make it pay for itself after a year or two. It's a service the shop
          could offer via mail order as well, like Pololu, but it would be great
          to be able to bring in a CAD file and have parts cut while-u-wait.
          Laser cutters are the coolest thing since Lego. Most of the robots
          and arms in Lynxmotion's catalog (and both of my robots) are basically
          just polycarbonate + laser cutter + simple assembly.

          --
          Nate Waddoups
          Redmond WA USA
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
            On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 04:16:17PM -0800, Cathy Saxton wrote:

            > If there were a merchant in the Bellevue/Redmond area that was
            > interested in stocking parts for robot builders, what kinds of stuff
            > would you like to see them carry?
            >
            > (I was asked that question by someone interested in stocking robot
            > parts since he's aware that robotics is getting pretty popular; I
            > figured I'd check the group for a variety of ideas.)
            >
            > Having some place local to buy parts would be great -- instant
            > gratification and no shipping costs!

            To me, the perfect walk-in store along these lines would be a
            combination of a reasonably stocked electronics store, hobby shop,
            hardware store, and battery specialty store (like Batteries Plus) with
            some items not available at any of the standard stores.

            It would have bins of mechanical components that I could bring a small
            robot or assembly in and test fit parts until I found what I was
            looking for. One of the frustrating things about buying mechanical
            parts mail-order is that it's hard to know what will work if you are
            building something custom - the ability to test fit components would
            be a big plus.

            A big plus would be to have access to a small work area right in the
            store. That way one could not only test fit parts, but actually do a
            little assembly / testing right there. Add a small lounge section
            with some gormet coffee / espresso and I think this could really take
            off! I know where I'd be spending my free time :-)

            Must haves would be a good stock of servos as well as a good selection
            of small and medium motors and a good selection of h-bridges to go
            with them. Also the usual list of sonar, IR and other sensors, micro
            switches, etc. Oh, lots of batteries and chargers of various types
            and sizes.

            It would have a never ending supply of MAVRIC boards, of course :-)

            The kicker for me would be a good selection of various partial
            assemblies for incorporating into a platform such as motor shaft to
            wheel solutions, whole wheel assemblies (motor/servo included),
            pan/tilt assemblies, etc. It would be very cool to walk into a store
            and come out with everything you need to build a complete robot base,
            laden with sensors, pan/tilt controls if desired and controller of
            choice.

            A surplus section would also be great - motors, gears, components,
            etc. This would be a great way for folks to unload some old parts
            that they have - the store could buy the parts and components as
            surplus and resell in store. One person's trash is another's
            treasure.

            A book section dedicated to robotics, controllers, electronics, and
            various construction techniques would be great.

            I'm not sure whether or not the market would be there to support a
            dedicated store like this or not, but I would drive a good way to
            patron a store like that.

            Perhaps it could survive and even thrive if it could not only serve
            the robotics community specifically with the above components, but
            also serve the more general public by carrying all the related items
            of a hobby store, hardware store, electronics store, and battery store
            rolled into one, with extra goodies that neither has (build area,
            coffee, books, robotics-specific assemblies - wheels, pan/tilt, etc).
            As a combo store like this, it could carry standard hobby supplies
            (R/C plane, cars, trains, models, glue, wood/plastic/foam stock, etc)
            as well as a pretty standard hardware store with nuts, bolts, screws,
            threaded rod, steel and aluminum stock, tools, wire, connectors, and
            finally a reasonably stocked electronics store with various components
            such as switches, potentiometers, caps, resistors, op amps, heat
            sinks, etc, etc. But as the robot specialty store, it would carry all
            the goodies we are interested in as well.

            Great idea!

            -Brian
            --
            Brian Dean
            ATmega128 based MAVRIC controllers
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005
              Servos
              H-bridges
              PIC / AVR controllers
              .25" chain and gears
              kits
              wheels
              IR Leds
              IR recievers
              IR Rangefinders
              US rangefinders
              Servo extension cables
              Headers & connectors
              switches, relays, LEDs, LCDs,

              On 11/3/05, Cathy Saxton cathysaxton-at-......... |6812-the|
              <...> wrote:
              > If there were a merchant in the Bellevue/Redmond area that was
              > interested in stocking parts for robot builders, what kinds of stuff
              > would you like to see them carry?
              >
              > (I was asked that question by someone interested in stocking robot
              > parts since he's aware that robotics is getting pretty popular; I
              > figured I'd check the group for a variety of ideas.)
              >
              > Having some place local to buy parts would be great -- instant
              > gratification and no shipping costs!
              >
              > Cathy

            • actioncontrols
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 8, 2005
                Nate,

                In reference to your comment about laser cutters below, what type of
                material and what size parts would you see being required? I have a
                CNC Router/Mill that I bought to carve signs and mill small ABS
                parts. I'm still working on setting it up, but thought of offering
                some sort of service to the robot community to eventually offset the
                $2K invested. Most of my problems with this system are related to
                the interface between the CAD DXF file and the Machine file. Still
                working on that...... I'll try to bring it to the next SRS meeting.

                Beyond that, there is a company in Mill Creek/Woodinville that has
                done some Stainless Steel cutting for us with an abrasive water jet.
                He can cut anything from thin ABS to 6" titanium. $35.00 min.
                charge/2 day turnaround. www.Kauffmanind.com. -- for your larger
                projects.

                So what are your material requirements?

                Jim.

                --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Nate W <delaminator@g...>

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 8, 2005
                  Both of my robots are made from 1/8" polycarbonate. One of them uses
                  tongue-in-groove construction all over the place, I think the minimum
                  radius of a milling tool would force some design changes but it could
                  probably be accomodated.

                  Laser cutting works well on a mail-order basis because it's trivial to
                  go from CAD to cutting - it's all 2D and the computer thinks the laser
                  cutter is just a printer, so what you see is what you cut. :-) I have
                  no experience with milling but it seems that it would be a little
                  harder to ensure that the finished product is what the customer
                  expected because there are more variables - tool radius, 3 dimensions,
                  order of operations could matter, clamping takes time, might take
                  special fixtures, etc. It's surely do-able though.

                  I suspect that services like this would get used if people knew they
                  were available and affordable. When I found out about laser cutting I
                  based my designs on it and was really happy with the results... If I
                  know of similar services for machining, that will definitely impact
                  the design of my next robot.

                  Personally I need to get the electronics and software finished for the
                  robots I have already built, though. :-)

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 9, 2005
                    On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 09:41:10PM -0800, Nate W wrote:

                    > I suspect that services like this would get used if people knew they
                    > were available and affordable. When I found out about laser cutting
                    > I based my designs on it and was really happy with the results...
                    > If I know of similar services for machining, that will definitely
                    > impact the design of my next robot.

                    http://www.emachineshop.com/

                    -Brian
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 9, 2005
                      On 11/9/05, Brian Dean <bsd@...> wrote:
                      > On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 09:41:10PM -0800, Nate W wrote:
                      >
                      > > If I know of similar services for machining, that will definitely
                      > > impact the design of my next robot.
                      >
                      > http://www.emachineshop.com/

                      I love their business plan, and their software seems great, but I read
                      reports from a couple of users who were really dissatisfied with their
                      service (not the machining itself, but stuff like no response to
                      emails, etc). I just did another web search though and also found a
                      couple of positive reports, so maybe I'll try it after all.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 11, 2005
                        Nate,

                        Thanks for your input. I took Cathy's basic robotic course so I'm
                        familiar with the tongue-in-groove construction that you speak of.
                        It does seem to be a common method. I've machined ABS with a .125
                        dia cutter (.063 radius). As you said, it can be accomodated, but
                        might require more "tangs" at right angles, thus complicating the
                        design. I'm trying to simplify the hold down issue using a vacuum
                        table. I know polycarbonate is harder than ABS, but i'll give it a
                        try just to see how it goes.

                        I, too, am facing the hardware/code issue. That's actually a relief
                        once the platform is sized and constructed. All parts hopefully
                        will fit together seamlessly-and preferable before the night prior
                        to the next competition.

                        Thanks again for your thoughts,

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 11, 2005
                          Nate,