Re: [SeattleRobotics] parallel port programming?

  • PeterBalch
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
      > Tom Capon <robot256@...> wrote:using outportb function doesn't work
      in windows later than 98. you'll have
      > to use some sort of driver DLL (there are several out there; I haven't
      > personally used one).

      I have an ancient PIC development environment (editor, compiler,
      programmer, debugger) that I wrote years ago before decent ones were
      available. (I still prefer it to the commercial ones I've tried.) It drives
      my standard programmer which is an equally ancient LPT-port based one.

      When Windows stopped allowing direct access to ports, I tried a couple of
      solutions. First I tried PortTalk which puts a sort of shell around the
      program so that the program is allowed to access any port. It's a very
      quick and simple way of getting ancient programs working but I found
      sometimes it crashed and sometimes it didn't allow port access. (That was
      in 2002 so it may be more reliable now. It was from
      http://www.beyondlogic.org)

      Then I switched to inpout32.dll which exports two routines:

      function Inp32(portaddr: Smallint): Smallint;
      procedure Out32(portaddr,datum: Smallint);

      (I happen to use Delphi but inpout32.dll will work with any language.)

      I've been using inpout32.dll since 2003 and it's been 100% reliable. I've
      lost all the documentation that came with it but no doubt it can be found
      on the web.