Re: [SeattleRobotics] Re: Oscilloscope recommendations

  • Richard Greenway
    Message 1 of 38 , Oct 31, 2005
      After re reading my own mail, I did have a bit of a typo...
      the TPS2000 series has the isolated inputs, TDS doesn't (I think that is
      the only difference.) but one should check.. They are both great
      scopes. But the isolated inputs really are the best.

      Richard
      www.fenchurch.org

      On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 20:01 -0700, Richard Greenway wrote:
      > Hey even the pricey one is cheaper then a top of the line iBook. ;-D
      >
      > And for those with the floppy debate, the newer 2000 series scopes have
      > a compact flash card instead. ;-D Much faster then floppy, and more
      > useful in todays society. :) (Now just if it would save something other
      > then .bmp but it is only a small file. ;-D )
      >
      > Richard
      > www.fenchurch.org
      >

      > On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 16:34 -0700, Cathy Saxton wrote:
      > > I'd like to extend a very big "Thanks!" to everyone for their comments
      > > and insights. It was incredibly helpful! (What a great group this is!)
      > >
      > > We've decided to order a Tektronix TDS2000-series scope. (Tom is of
      > > course just egging me on here. :-) )
      > >
      > > Cathy
      > >

      > > Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.org
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Kenneth Maxon
      Message 38 of 38 , Nov 5, 2005
        I've been holding off on this conversation since most of you who know me,
        know that I've got most of the afore mentioned solutions including PC
        solutions and several pieces of analog and digital stand alone equipment.
        Additionally, through my employment, I have access to several pieces of
        equipment several orders of magnitude more powerful than those discussed
        here as well as quite often having reason to use the advanced features.

        I'm finally taking a moment to enter this conversation based on the comments
        of memory depth. My observations of most amateur uses of digital
        oscilloscopes when the discussion of memory depth comes up relate to the
        fact that the individual is trying to debug something better suited to a
        digital logic analyzer. Given the speed of processors commonly discussed on
        this list (and well beyond) many of the HP series logic analyzers found
        quite regularly on eBay fit this bill nicely in the $300~$500 range. Good
        ones come and go at least every month. Just remember you probably don't
        need a GHz range unit, and if 500MHz timing and 200MHz state debugging will
        get you there you can buy one for pennies on the dollar.

        Sure a logic analyzer is a great tool to debug fast wide processor bus, or
        can even be programmed to run real time inverse assembly functions, but even
        for simple tasks like debugging SPI or I2C they are just darn handy. Since
        most quality logic analyzers can interface directly with external triggers
        provided by oscilloscopes, or even have a few oscilloscope channels built
        in, debugging complex power fluctuation problems is also possible.

        Back to lurking... -Kenneth