Hardware

  • Larry Barello
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 22, 2005
      Where can I find things like self-clinching nuts (blind), socket head cap
      screws, etc. besides McMaster-Carr (very expensive, but oh, so convenient)?

      I found one place with very inexpensive SHCS, but they didn't have any self
      clinching nuts (nice for putting hardened mounting points into sheet metal,
      or thin-wall tubing, etc.)

      "PEM" would be the most common brand name for the kind of nuts I am looking
      for.

      -----------
      Larry Barello
      www.barello.net
    • Brent Picasso
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 22, 2005
        Locally, perhaps Tacoma Screw?

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 22, 2005
          Tacoma Screw

          Where can I find things like self-clinching nuts (blind), socket head cap
          screws, etc. besides McMaster-Carr (very expensive, but oh, so convenient)?

          I found one place with very inexpensive SHCS, but they didn't have any self
          clinching nuts (nice for putting hardened mounting points into sheet metal,
          or thin-wall tubing, etc.)

          "PEM" would be the most common brand name for the kind of nuts I am looking
          for.

          -----------
          Larry Barello
          www.barello.net

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Pete Miles
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 22, 2005
            McMaster-Carr expensive? I use them all the time and I think they have some of the best prices
            around.

            Tacoma Screw is probably your best bet for a local place for these. But McMaster-Carr is cheap
            when compared to them.

            Pete

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 22, 2005
              Tacoma screw makes McMaster Carr look cheap.

              I should have mentioned that I was looking for bulk and cheap, not immediate
              gratification...

              -----------
              Larry Barello
              www.barello.net

            • Pete Skeggs
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 22, 2005
                Larry Barello wrote:
                > Tacoma screw makes McMaster Carr look cheap.
                > I should have mentioned that I was looking for bulk and cheap, not immediate
                > gratification...

                www.aboveboardelectronics.com has bulk (1000...5000 parts minimum
                typically) that are cheap (pennies or fractions of a penny per nut, a
                few cents for a screw, etc.).

                -Pete
              • bbailey@oz.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 23, 2005
                  Olander Corporation. They used to be on Willows but moved to Woodinville.
                  They carry Captive brand captive fasteners but the PEM numbers directly
                  translate. They have a complete line of hardware oriented toward
                  electronic assembly. They'll sell over the counter at will call.

                  http://www.olandercorp.com/

                  The Olander Corporation
                  14101 NE 186th Street, Suite A
                  Woodinville, Washington 98072
                  Phone: 425-483-9580

                  > Tacoma screw makes McMaster Carr look cheap.
                  >
                  > I should have mentioned that I was looking for bulk and cheap, not
                  > immediate
                  > gratification...
                  >
                  > -----------
                  > Larry Barello
                  > www.barello.net

                • Rich Chandler
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 23, 2005
                    At 12:04 PM -0700 10/22/05, Larry Barello wrote:
                    >Where can I find things like self-clinching nuts (blind), socket head cap
                    >screws, etc. besides McMaster-Carr (very expensive, but oh, so convenient)?
                    >
                    >I found one place with very inexpensive SHCS, but they didn't have any self
                    >clinching nuts (nice for putting hardened mounting points into sheet metal,
                    >or thin-wall tubing, etc.)
                    >
                    >"PEM" would be the most common brand name for the kind of nuts I am looking
                    >for.

                    Tacoma Screw.

                    Ace Hardware often has a good (but expensive) collection of stuff.
                  • Nate W
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 25, 2005

                      www.microfasteners.com
                      www.smallparts.com
                      www.sdp-si.com

                      --
                      Nate Waddoups
                      Redmond WA USA
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 26, 2005
                        Thanks, these were the kind of links I was interested in.

                        Unfortunately, I am looking for pretty standard stuff and McMaster Carr
                        (www.mcmaster.com) pretty much blows all these away for price & selection.
                        www.use-enco.com has cheaper stuff but more limited (hardware wise), but has
                        more in terms of tools.

                        www.microfasteners.com has competitive prices, but they stock small stuff
                        that is hard to find elsewhere (aluminum cap screws!) - definitely a place
                        to remember.

                        Smallparts is by far the most expensive place - they are more expensive than
                        walk up counters in Seattle!

                        www.pointe-products.com was the cheapest, by far, for fasteners, but heavily
                        skewed towards the automotive department...

                        -----------
                        Larry Barello
                        www.barello.net

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 31, 2005
                          I just saw this hardware shop mentioned on another forum (about
                          snowboarding, not robots, but hardware is hardware) and I figure some
                          people here will be interested:

                          http://www.nutty.com/

                          Looks like pretty good selection and pricing, e.g. 100 qty 1/2 inch
                          2-56 socket head cap screws for ten bucks.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 31, 2005
                            Good find. Oh for the days when Radar had that
                            extensive selection of surplus hardware. I should've
                            cleaned them out of their stainless when I had the
                            chance!!

                            Brent

                            http://mail.yahoo.com