Beefy Motors

  • Larry Barello
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2000
      I wrote recently:

      > For the FIRST competition last year we used Bosche 12 cordless drill
      motors
      > and gearboxes. Those things are rated at 225 in/lb of torque. You can
      get
      > the replacement motors and gear boxes from S&B tools for roughly $50 a
      pair.
      > The motors are rated at 300wt, so two of them is about 1hp to the wheels.
      > It made for some rocking 130# robots.

      Well, you can get 14.4 volt drills from Harbor Freight
      (www.harborfreight.com) which are rated at 100in/lb of torque, for $39.95.
      That is a pretty good price when you consider you get a motor, gearbox,
      battery and charger and a free keyless Jacob's chuck in the deal. Just add
      your 20A H-bridge and start tearing up the neighborhood!

      Attached are two photos of a partially dissasembled drill and the converted
      motor.
    • mike turner
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 10, 2000
        Who and where is S&B tools? This sounds neat if they are still
        available.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 11, 2000
          S-B Power Tool Company
          20 Truman Drive South
          Edison, NH 08817
          (732) 572-5009

          They are just a power tool distributer. Anyone who handles repair parts for
          Bosch tools will have the parts. What you want is the MOTOR, GEARBOX and
          REVERSE SCREW for a Bosch model 3310K-10, 12 volt drill driver, UPC code
          000-346-301960 The last time I checked it came to ~$51 for all three parts.

          Let me add that mounting these motors and gearboxes, with a 225 in-lb of
          torque, is not straight forward! First of all, the output shaft is metric
          threaded (10 something..) Second, you can't put substantial side loads on
          the bearing of the gearbox: it is designed for drilling (axial loads) not
          driving wheels (radial loads). I found that the real problem isn't radial
          loads, but twisting (e.g. mounting the gearbox and hanging a sprocket off it
          that is being pulled to the side) if you can balance the load on the
          sprocket (look through picture gallery's below) or support it with a shaft
          then you are ok. The "proper" way to lock your sprocket or whatever to the
          threaded shaft is the reverse bolt. Turning one direction will tighten the
          sprocket, turning the other will tighten the reverse bolt.

          There are no mounting holes or flanges for these motors. You will have to
          machine something yourself. Again, look at the picture gallery's for more
          info.

          Here is references to the motor: It starts on page 15:
          http://www.usfirst.org/2000comp/Docs/RobotAppendixH-pt2.pdf

          Here are some picture folders with photos of the motors
          http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293529553&p=4283732952&idx=15
          http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4294551913&p=4291485070&idx=12

          One last item: these motors draw > 60 amps at stall and will burn out very
          quickly if you try to get 225 in-lb torque out of them for a long time. In
          the FIRST competitions, shoving matches often were accompanied with the
          sweet smell of toasted insulation... :-) You need to get professional speed
          controllers to power these babies. Try www.innovationfirst.com or their
          sub-site: www.battlerobotics.com

          BTW: for about $2000 you could get a killer set up from Innovation First for
          a battle bot: 24v controllers, Radio link with programmable robot controller
          (smarts in your battle bot) and then use some of the newer 24 volt drill
          motors with > 300 ft-in torque, two gel-cells and you are still under 20#
          with a vicious setup.

          Cheers!