Re: [SeattleRobotics] The Rabbit 2000

  • Larry Barello
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2000
      It is a tarted up Z80

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Pete Miles" <petem@...>

      > Okay you experts out there.
      >
      > Who knows anything about the Rabbit 2000?

    • Kenneth Maxon
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2000
        Circuit cellar has had two projects using it.

        -Kenneth
        (Unit 3's in trouble and it's scared out of it's wits) -Geddy Lee
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2000
          Its core is based on the Z180 processor which in turn is based on
          the Z80. It has a large number of built in features:

          Battery backed real time clock
          Circuits to battery back up the ram
          Built in address decoding to generate chip selects
          Background debug mode
          Programmed in C
          Can access more than 64K of memory (>1meg ?)

          It has the ability to start up with a blank flash ROM and using
          the debug mode download and program the flash. The development
          kit is very reasonably priced. It comes with the C compiler and
          everything you need. The board is designed to act as a core for
          whatever system you are designing.

          Pete Miles wrote:

          > Okay you experts out there.
          >
          > Who knows anything about the Rabbit 2000?
          >
          > Over the past 6 months, this has be heavily advertized in all of the
          > electronic, and technology magazines I get
          >
          > Their website is http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com
          >
          > Pete

        • Jay Couture
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2000
            At 01:32 PM 03 11 03 -0800, you wrote:
            >Okay you experts out there.
            >
            >Who knows anything about the Rabbit 2000?
            >
            >Over the past 6 months, this has be heavily advertized in all of the
            >electronic, and technology magazines I get
            >
            >Their website is http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com

            I have their TCP dev kit. They provide all kinds of sample code to get you
            started, their customer service has been very helpful, and the compiler
            (Dynamic C) they include is very nice. Downloading is as simple as using
            the IDE interface with a slick In Circuit Programmer. All in all, I am very
            impressed with what I now own. The best part is that I have been porting
            some TCP code from other projects to the Rabbit, and changes have been
            minimal.

            If you have been reading Circuit Cellar, you should already have read about
            how you married the Rabbit to a Crystal 8900AS, instead of the RealTek
            8019AS. Not sure why he did that, but now there are two options for
            etherchip suppliers.

            Jay