Re: [SeattleRobotics] Pic16f877

  • gopi@cusat.ac.in
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
      >Since PIC16f877 is an 8bit device how can I conbine the 10 bit ADC output
      in a useful manner to get the resolution of 10 bit ADC.
      Gopi Menon
      hello gopi,

      > i am shashi from banglore, can u be a bit more specific about your problem
      > so that i can point out you where you are facing troubles...
      >
      > and peter edinburgh is a lovely place.. i have done my masters in embedded
      > systems from heriot watt university, how is edinburgh doing now i miss it
      > a lot,
      >
      > shashi
      >
      > gopi@... wrote:
      >> Sorry sir,I stay in Kerala(a.k.a.God's Own Country)India.
      >
      > Gopi
      >>
      >>> How can I fully utilise the benefit of the 10 bit A/D converter
      >>> available
      >>> in the 16F877 microcontroller.
      >>
      >> What are you trying to do? What's going wrong?
      >>
      >> (Is that the Gopi Menon whow lives about 100 yards away from me in
      >> Edinburgh?)
      >>
      >> Peter
      >>

      >> Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.org
      >> Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Tom Capon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2005
        you would have to use math routines to do 16-bit operations, with the
        lower 8 bits in the lower byte and another byte with the upper two
        bits.

        On 7/1/05, gopi@... <gopi@...> wrote:
        > >Since PIC16f877 is an 8bit device how can I conbine the 10 bit ADC output
        > in a useful manner to get the resolution of 10 bit ADC.
        > Gopi Menon
        > hello gopi,
        > >
        > > i am shashi from banglore, can u be a bit more specific about your problem
        > > so that i can point out you where you are facing troubles...
        > >
        > > and peter edinburgh is a lovely place.. i have done my masters in embedded
        > > systems from heriot watt university, how is edinburgh doing now i miss it
        > > a lot,
        > >
        > > shashi
        > >
        > > gopi@... wrote:
        > >> Sorry sir,I stay in Kerala(a.k.a.God's Own Country)India.
        > >
        > > Gopi

        > >> What are you trying to do? What's going wrong?
        > >>
        > >> (Is that the Gopi Menon whow lives about 100 yards away from me in
        > >> Edinburgh?)
        > >>
        > >> Peter
        > >>

        > >> Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.org
        > >> Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >>

        > > Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.org
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > > Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.org
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • SOLID Info
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2005
          You would have to do 16 bit operations but I would suggest 2.10.4 fixed point format (integer.fraction), that way you can manipulate
          your 10 bit data with 1 sign bit, 1 overflow bit, and 4 bits of additional precision (fraction, 16ths). Just remember that 16 bit
          multiplication with 2.10.4 yields 32 bit result that is 4.20.8. The sign bit is handy for carefree deltas and the overflow bit is
          good headroom for being able to add two values together without creating a questionable sign bit (carry into sign).

          For more information google "fixed point" integer math

          ~S

          On 7/1/05, gopi@... <gopi@...> wrote:
          > >Since PIC16f877 is an 8bit device how can I conbine the 10 bit ADC output
          > in a useful manner to get the resolution of 10 bit ADC.
          > Gopi Menon
          > hello gopi,
          > >
          > > i am shashi from banglore, can u be a bit more specific about your problem
          > > so that i can point out you where you are facing troubles...
          > >
          > > and peter edinburgh is a lovely place.. i have done my masters in embedded
          > > systems from heriot watt university, how is edinburgh doing now i miss it
          > > a lot,
          > >
          > > shashi
          > >
          > > gopi@... wrote:
          > >> Sorry sir,I stay in Kerala(a.k.a.God's Own Country)India.
          > >
          > > Gopi

          > >> What are you trying to do? What's going wrong?
          > >>
          > >> (Is that the Gopi Menon whow lives about 100 yards away from me in
          > >> Edinburgh?)
          > >>
          > >> Peter
          > >>

          > >> Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.org
          > >> Yahoo! Groups Links