Piezoelectric crystals

  • Ankur Nandwani
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28, 2005
      hi
      Using piezoelectric crystals i am not getting a continous output of
      electricity is there any way to convert it into a continous form.Can i
      control the voltage output and current coming out.I am trying to get
      an output of 6 volts and 350 mA.
    • Triffid Hunter
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 28, 2005
        pezioelectric crystals put out voltage as a function of the change in pressure. thus, a constant pressure gives nothing. you can get an ac current if you subject the crystal to high frequency vibration, but you would need several kilos of crystals to get a constant 6v @ 350ma

        Ankur Nandwani wrote:
        > hi
        > Using piezoelectric crystals i am not getting a continous output of
        > electricity is there any way to convert it into a continous form.Can i
        > control the voltage output and current coming out.I am trying to get
        > an output of 6 volts and 350 mA.

      • dan michaels
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 28, 2005
          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Ankur Nandwani"
          <ankur2tenn@y...> wrote:
          > hi
          > Using piezoelectric crystals i am not getting a continous output
          of
          > electricity is there any way to convert it into a continous
          form.Can i
          > control the voltage output and current coming out.I am trying to get
          > an output of 6 volts and 350 mA.

          There have been some experiments in trying to harness footfall
          energy into useful power using piezos, but I don't think they
          are able to produce much power this way ....

          http://www.google.com/custom?q=piezo+shoe
          http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Piezo_20shoes

          - dan michaels
          www.oricomtech.com
          ========================
        • Ankur Nandwani
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 28, 2005
            --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "dan michaels"
            <oric_dan@y...> wrote:
            > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Ankur Nandwani"
            > <ankur2tenn@y...> wrote:
            > > hi
            > > Using piezoelectric crystals i am not getting a continous
            output
            > of
            > > electricity is there any way to convert it into a continous
            > form.Can i
            > > control the voltage output and current coming out.I am trying to
            get
            > > an output of 6 volts and 350 mA.
            >

            > There have been some experiments in trying to harness footfall
            > energy into useful power using piezos, but I don't think they
            > are able to produce much power this way ....
            >
            > http://www.google.com/custom?q=piezo+shoe
            > http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Piezo_20shoes
            >

            > - dan michaels
            > www.oricomtech.com
            > ========================
            Hi
            I was planning to use piezoelectric crystals to charge the mobiles
            by attaching them at the sole of the shoe .If 1cm cube of crystal
            can produce 12500v of energy when stress is applied to cant it be
            harnessed to get the required output by reducing the voltage output
            and incresing the current.
          • Triffid Hunter
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
              energy isn't measured in volts. electrical potential is measured in volts, energy is measured in watt-hours or coloumbs, and energy rate of flow is measured in watts.

              I think you will find that your pezio crystals are giving you 12,500v at about 200uW. you could concievably power a watch from the energy gained from walking, there's just one way to find out

              Ankur Nandwani wrote:
              > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "dan michaels"
              > <oric_dan@y...> wrote:
              >
              >>--- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Ankur Nandwani"
              >><ankur2tenn@y...> wrote:
              >>
              >>>hi
              >>> Using piezoelectric crystals i am not getting a continous
              >
              > output
              >
              >>of
              >>
              >>>electricity is there any way to convert it into a continous
              >>
              >>form.Can i
              >>
              >>>control the voltage output and current coming out.I am trying to
              >
              > get
              >
              >>>an output of 6 volts and 350 mA.
              >>

              >>There have been some experiments in trying to harness footfall
              >>energy into useful power using piezos, but I don't think they
              >>are able to produce much power this way ....
              >>
              >>http://www.google.com/custom?q=piezo+shoe
              >>http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Piezo_20shoes
              >>

              >>- dan michaels
              >>www.oricomtech.com
              >>========================
              >
              > Hi
              > I was planning to use piezoelectric crystals to charge the mobiles
              > by attaching them at the sole of the shoe .If 1cm cube of crystal
              > can produce 12500v of energy when stress is applied to cant it be
              > harnessed to get the required output by reducing the voltage output
              > and incresing the current.

            • shreyassagar sagar
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
                hi ankur,

                Getting a continous o/p from piezoelectric crystals is not possible coz u need to give a variable pressure (for pressure tansducers)for the o/p. Even then u cannot get o/p in volts it will not exeed the mV level.

                Bythe way wat do u study?

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
                  pezio crystals are used in electronic lighters, where they supply spikes of a few thousand volts.

                  they are also used in alarm speakers, where resonance can generate hundreds of volts across them.

                  shreyassagar sagar wrote:
                  > hi ankur,
                  >
                  > Getting a continous o/p from piezoelectric crystals is not possible coz u need to give a variable pressure (for pressure tansducers)for the o/p. Even then u cannot get o/p in volts it will not exeed the mV level.
                  >
                  > Bythe way wat do u study?
                  >
                  > Ankur Nandwani <ankur2tenn@...> wrote:
                  > hi
                  > Using piezoelectric crystals i am not getting a continous output of
                  > electricity is there any way to convert it into a continous form.Can i
                  > control the voltage output and current coming out.I am trying to get
                  > an output of 6 volts and 350 mA.

                • douglas_warren_bell
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
                    So what you need to do is apply a vibration to one or more crystals,
                    then convert the high voltage low current AC output from the
                    crystals into a lower voltage and higher current AC with step-down
                    transformers, then convert this to DC with rectifiers which would
                    then charge a capacitor. To get more power, add more crystals to the
                    system. To get a more regulated output voltage, add a voltage
                    regulator, or a DC-to-DC converter.

                    If all the crystals can be deflected in phase, they can be connected
                    to the same transformer.

                    The most efficient way to drive the crystals from a footfall should
                    be investigated. For example, as the button on an electronic lighter
                    is pushed, the piezo crystal is slowly deflected one way, then
                    suddenly released to ring like a tuning fork at its resonant
                    frequency, or perhaps a spring is slowly compressed, then suddenly
                    released to strike the crystal. You could do something like that in
                    the sole of a shoe. It may be hard to do that with more than one
                    crystal and get them to ring in phase, so you'd be better off with
                    one big crystal, or a transformer and rectifier for each crystal.

                    Doug Bell

                    --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Triffid Hunter