Direction detector

  • mufarooqi
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31 11:12 PM
      Hello
      I want to get the direction of my car which I have controlled
      through the c++ programming with my computer, I want to get the
      direction with respect to the north, south, east and west.
      I have tried compus needle for this purpose. but taking input is
      the problem of this time.
      I have also used stepper motor but it does not tell about the
      direction of my car at any instance.
      waiting for solution from anyone.
    • Jonathan Peakall
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
        Sounds like you need a digital compass. I like the Vector 2XE.

        Jonathan

        www.madlabs.info

      • Carbon
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
          If you are using stepper motors and tracking how far each wheel has
          turned, and can reasonably assme level ground and no slippage on the
          wheels, you can compute your current position and heading. Only basic
          geometry and trigonometry are required.

          If you limit your motion to driving straight and turning in place, the
          math becomes very simple.

          Going the digital compass route, if you are not on level ground,
          you'll need a pretty expensive multi-axis compass to get a reading
          that's accurate enough to be usable.

          Carbon