How hard would it be to hookup a car speaker up to the 2.5mm jack in a computer?

  • honea
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2005
      I need to replace some 2watt RMS speakers that my computer is using with
      some more powerfull ones.. .I picked up a 8watt RMS @ 1khz (25watt max)
      speaker from walmart (just the car speaker)... I was wondering how hard it
      would be to use this in cordination with my computer... Could I just use a
      NPN/PNP to up the output voltage from the 2.5mm stereo output of the
      computer?

      thanks!
      Lee
    • Triffid Hunter
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2005
        your computer's jack will be 3.5mm, not 2.5 unless yours is quite non-standard.

        also, if you use a bjt current amp, you'll need to take a lot of care to prevent any DC going through the speaker or the coils will melt. A 30w amp can blow a 2000w speaker if there's enough dc coming out of it.

        Also, you'll get immense amounts of harmonic distortion unless you add in some negative feedback to ensure that the output accurately tracks the changing input voltage. transistors are very non-linear, so its a fair problem.

        and by the time you've done all that, you've effectively built a full blown audio amplifier. you'd be best off using a dedicated chip to do it - you can get 20w, 50w and 100w amps on a single chip (in australia at least) that require a minimum of other parts, though you'll probably learn a lot more if you google up some audio amplifier circuits.

        I made a 2x150w class AB amp several years ago where each channel had only 22 parts! worked great and sounded awesome until one of the (2nd hand) power supply caps shorted, detonated, and made a real mess of things...

        At the moment i've got a 2x75w amp driving a pair of old hifi speakers (the sort you see in charity and 2nd hand stores) with all the drivers replaced with high powered car speakers - works great :D

        -Triffid Hunter

        honea wrote:
        > I need to replace some 2watt RMS speakers that my computer is using with
        > some more powerfull ones.. .I picked up a 8watt RMS @ 1khz (25watt max)
        > speaker from walmart (just the car speaker)... I was wondering how hard it
        > would be to use this in cordination with my computer... Could I just use a
        > NPN/PNP to up the output voltage from the 2.5mm stereo output of the
        > computer?
        >

        > thanks!
        > Lee

      • honea
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2005
          ha, that is enough info to tell me.. Lee your cheap, but go spend some cash
          and buy a premade amp :)

          And that is exacully what I am going to go do right now.. go to walmart and
          buy some premade parts :)

          thanks for the great answers! (and thanks for clearing up the 3.5/2.5
          missconception I had..what does use 2.5mm then? )

          Lee

          > your computer's jack will be 3.5mm, not 2.5 unless yours is quite
          > non-standard.
          >
          > also, if you use a bjt current amp, you'll need to take a lot of care to
          > prevent any DC going through the speaker or the coils will melt. A 30w amp
          > can blow a 2000w speaker if there's enough dc coming out of it.
          >
          > Also, you'll get immense amounts of harmonic distortion unless you add in
          > some negative feedback to ensure that the output accurately tracks the
          > changing input voltage. transistors are very non-linear, so its a fair
          > problem.
          >
          > and by the time you've done all that, you've effectively built a full
          > blown audio amplifier. you'd be best off using a dedicated chip to do it -
          > you can get 20w, 50w and 100w amps on a single chip (in australia at
          > least) that require a minimum of other parts, though you'll probably learn
          > a lot more if you google up some audio amplifier circuits.
          >
          > I made a 2x150w class AB amp several years ago where each channel had only
          > 22 parts! worked great and sounded awesome until one of the (2nd hand)
          > power supply caps shorted, detonated, and made a real mess of things...
          >

          > At the moment i've got a 2x75w amp driving a pair of old hifi speakers
          > (the sort you see in charity and 2nd hand stores) with all the drivers
          > replaced with high powered car speakers - works great :D
          >
          > -Triffid Hunter
          >
          > honea wrote:
          >> I need to replace some 2watt RMS speakers that my computer is using with
          >> some more powerfull ones.. .I picked up a 8watt RMS @ 1khz (25watt max)
          >> speaker from walmart (just the car speaker)... I was wondering how hard
          >> it
          >> would be to use this in cordination with my computer... Could I just use
          >> NPN/PNP to up the output voltage from the 2.5mm stereo output of the
          >> computer?
          >>

          >> thanks!
          >> Lee
          >>

          >> Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.org
          >> Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Triffid Hunter
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2005
            I believe 2.5mm is used for some mobile phone hands free kits, and certain ultra-small audio devices like credit card radios and such..

          • honea
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2005
              Ahh, yes! that is it.. I use to work at office depot.. and we would sell a
              lot of hands free kits...