Re: [SeattleRobotics] Wish List [was Anti-static for classroom]

  • Susan M
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
      Thanks, Jim, that's very useful. (The 9v battery clips.) I'll try it.
      Susan
    • Rich Chandler
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
        Jim McBride wrote:

        > I ran into this problem one day at work. Then a coworker pointed out a
        > really cheap solution. A square 9 volt battery is really 6 smaller round
        > batteries housed together. IF YOU ARE CAREFUL, you can take a DEAD battery
        > and peel off the outer metal casing. Taking care not to ruin the top
        > connector. Once disassembled, you have yourself a free 9 volt connector.
        > Once again, be careful. Only peel away the outer metal housing. Never
        > puncture any battery, and do not attempt this on a battery with a charge.
        > It might even be a good idea to short you "dead" battery with a resistor
        > until it is truly dead.

        6, not 9 cells.

        But that seems like a whole lot of work for something you can buy a 6-pack of,
        with wires already attached at Radio Shack for a buck or so.
      • John M
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
          Ok, give me an address and I'll send you a box of random junk I dug up.
          More will probably follow once I place some more orders. If you can't use
          some of this maybe you can barter it or just throw it away.

          Sending you:

          2 small proto-boards
          Bunch of 3,4,5,6 pin molex connectors
          Random capacitors
          Some standoffs
          Alligator clips
          PIC programmer (no wall wart or cable included)
          Bunch of random PIC microcontrollers
          Random cabling
          A couple of 9-volt battery connectors (thought I had more, but can't find
          them)
          8 small stepper motors
          A serial cable
          A wheel
          A buzzer
          A (defunct?) twin motor gearbox with 2 motors
          A bunch of mice circuit boards (have optical encoders and switches that are
          useful)
          A bunch of cables that are miniDIN on one side, plug on the other.

          -John

        • usa.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
            I was wondering if we might want to pool a shipment together, i.e., several
            people could fill up a box to ship. :) In my case, I need an address, too,
            since I'm more in Portland than Seattle now.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
              Fred, thanks so much, I will send my address offlist.

              I think I'm missing some posts and I know a couple of mine disappeared,
              probably due to a reboot here. Sorry!

              Susan
            • Jim McBride
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2005
                Reread,
                9 volt battery
                6 round batteries

                At 02:04 PM 1/3/2005 -0800, you wrote:

                >Jim McBride wrote:
                > >
                > > I ran into this problem one day at work. Then a coworker pointed out a
                > > really cheap solution. A square 9 volt battery is really 6 smaller round
                > > batteries housed together. IF YOU ARE CAREFUL, you can take a DEAD battery
                > > and peel off the outer metal casing. Taking care not to ruin the top
                > > connector. Once disassembled, you have yourself a free 9 volt connector.
                > > Once again, be careful. Only peel away the outer metal housing. Never
                > > puncture any battery, and do not attempt this on a battery with a charge.
                > > It might even be a good idea to short you "dead" battery with a resistor
                > > until it is truly dead.
                >
                >6, not 9 cells.
                >
                >But that seems like a whole lot of work for something you can buy a 6-pack of,
                >with wires already attached at Radio Shack for a buck or so.

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                JIMc
                x22661
                National Ignition Facility
              • Rich Chandler
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2005
                  Jim McBride wrote:

                  > Reread,
                  > 9 volt battery
                  > 6 round batteries

                  You're right, I misread. Prolly time for a new prescription.