Project - formerly anti-static.

  • Jerry Rutherford
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 31, 2004
      We have the anti-static part nailed down... but now let's concentrate
      on exactly what are you having them buld? Age group? Etc. I may be
      able to come up with some ideas for you. (Might not... nut you never
      know.)

      Jerry
    • Karl Lunt
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 1, 2005
        Is there (or should there be) a link on the SRS website for a list of
        wants and haves? This would be a list where people, such as Susan, who
        want stuff others might have laying around, could list what they want.
        A similar (or the same) list could be for people who have goodies they
        no longer need but want to see go to a good home.

        We pool our knowledge at meetings and on the list, and we occasionally
        pool our junk at meetings. Maybe we could broaden the reach with a
        good junk-trade list. Having the list in a fixed place would save
        having to browse through email archives looking for that one email
        where someone wanted anti-static bags, or whatever.

        Karl

        On Jan 1, 2005, at 10:59 AM, John M wrote:

        > Why don't you ask for donations (parts and supplies, not necessarily
        > just
        > money)? I'm sure there are plenty of us who would be glad to help a
        > teacher
        > out, and you'll likely get better quality stuff (also, it's likely
        > tax-deductible for the donator if they care to mess with the
        > paperwork).
        > Even stuff as simple as stand-offs...I'm sure many of us have boxes for
        > motherboards that are full of stand-offs that we'll never use.
        >
        > If you throw up a wish list somewhere I think you'd be pleased with the
        > response.
        >
        > -John

      • John M
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 1, 2005
          Why don't you ask for donations (parts and supplies, not necessarily just
          money)? I'm sure there are plenty of us who would be glad to help a teacher
          out, and you'll likely get better quality stuff (also, it's likely
          tax-deductible for the donator if they care to mess with the paperwork).
          Even stuff as simple as stand-offs...I'm sure many of us have boxes for
          motherboards that are full of stand-offs that we'll never use.

          If you throw up a wish list somewhere I think you'd be pleased with the
          response.

          -John

        • Tom Capon
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
            is it likely that a cheap bulletin board from a craft store would be
            real cork, or some static-hogging synthetic?

            I ususally do my soldering work on a metal heat-proof surface, but do
            all my testing and other assembly on a wooden desk. Should I ground
            the desk?

            On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 04:18:26 -0800, Karl Lunt <karllunt@...> wrote:

            > Is there (or should there be) a link on the SRS website for a list of
            > wants and haves? This would be a list where people, such as Susan, who
            > want stuff others might have laying around, could list what they want.
            > A similar (or the same) list could be for people who have goodies they
            > no longer need but want to see go to a good home.
            >
            > We pool our knowledge at meetings and on the list, and we occasionally
            > pool our junk at meetings. Maybe we could broaden the reach with a
            > good junk-trade list. Having the list in a fixed place would save
            > having to browse through email archives looking for that one email
            > where someone wanted anti-static bags, or whatever.
            >
            > Karl
            >
            > On Jan 1, 2005, at 10:59 AM, John M wrote:
            >

            > > Why don't you ask for donations (parts and supplies, not necessarily
            > > just
            > > money)? I'm sure there are plenty of us who would be glad to help a
            > > teacher
            > > out, and you'll likely get better quality stuff (also, it's likely
            > > tax-deductible for the donator if they care to mess with the
            > > paperwork).
            > > Even stuff as simple as stand-offs...I'm sure many of us have boxes for
            > > motherboards that are full of stand-offs that we'll never use.
            > >
            > > If you throw up a wish list somewhere I think you'd be pleased with the
            > > response.
            > >
            > > -John

          • Karl Lunt
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
              If it doesn't say "anti-static," assume it is totally-static. :-)

              The bulletin board is probably just an insulator; it's an expensive
              addition to make it anti-static.

              If you're really worried about static, get a surplus anti-static mat
              (with wiring harness!) from a surplus shop and spread it over the
              surface of your work desk. I have never, so far as I know, lost a
              component to static damage. However, ESD can weaken components,
              causing premature failure, usually at a critical time.

              The recent cold weather has really raised the static level around here;
              I can now draw sparks just by moving my chair around. Going with the
              anti-static mat is probably a good idea. Grounding the desk itself
              won't work; you need to use the mat and ground it properly.

              Karl

              On Jan 2, 2005, at 3:35 PM, Tom Capon wrote:

              > is it likely that a cheap bulletin board from a craft store would be
              > real cork, or some static-hogging synthetic?
              >
              > I ususally do my soldering work on a metal heat-proof surface, but do
              > all my testing and other assembly on a wooden desk. Should I ground
              > the desk?
              >

              > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 04:18:26 -0800, Karl Lunt <karllunt@...>
              > wrote:
              >>
              >> Is there (or should there be) a link on the SRS website for a list of
              >> wants and haves? This would be a list where people, such as Susan,
              >> who
              >> want stuff others might have laying around, could list what they want.
              >> A similar (or the same) list could be for people who have goodies they
              >> no longer need but want to see go to a good home.
              >>
              >> We pool our knowledge at meetings and on the list, and we occasionally
              >> pool our junk at meetings. Maybe we could broaden the reach with a
              >> good junk-trade list. Having the list in a fixed place would save
              >> having to browse through email archives looking for that one email
              >> where someone wanted anti-static bags, or whatever.
              >>
              >> Karl
              >>
              >> On Jan 1, 2005, at 10:59 AM, John M wrote:
              >>

              >>> Why don't you ask for donations (parts and supplies, not necessarily
              >>> just
              >>> money)? I'm sure there are plenty of us who would be glad to help a
              >>> teacher
              >>> out, and you'll likely get better quality stuff (also, it's likely
              >>> tax-deductible for the donator if they care to mess with the
              >>> paperwork).
              >>> Even stuff as simple as stand-offs...I'm sure many of us have boxes
              >>> for
              >>> motherboards that are full of stand-offs that we'll never use.
              >>>
              >>> If you throw up a wish list somewhere I think you'd be pleased with
              >>> the
              >>> response.
              >>>
              >>> -John

            • Susan M
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 3, 2005
                I have an old anti-static mat here I am using on my workbench. But it
                won't stretch 4 or 5 ways in our classroom. So we'll have to take other
                measures. The kids shouldn't be removing the processor from the board,
                at least.

                Thanks for all the advice!
                Susan