Re: [SeattleRobotics] Cutting holes in glass

  • FThompson9@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 3, 2004
      I would suggest a Pipe mounded in a drill press with Outer Diameter of
      your hole size. Then use mirror grinding grit (or sand) with water to do the
      actual cutting. Patience required.

      Pherd
      Somers, CT

    • Lee Leathers
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 7, 2004
        Hmm. Will this method work for safety glass? And since I will have to be
        drilling 12 holes per piece of glass.. Is this method repeatable? Or will I
        be breaking glass :/

        thanks for the help
        Lee

        > I would suggest a Pipe mounded in a drill press with Outer Diameter of
        > your hole size. Then use mirror grinding grit (or sand) with water to do
        > the
        > actual cutting. Patience required.
        >
        > Pherd
        > Somers, CT

      • Rich Chandler
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 8, 2004
          Lee Leathers wrote:

          > Hmm. Will this method work for safety glass? And since I will have to be
          > drilling 12 holes per piece of glass.. Is this method repeatable? Or will I
          > be breaking glass :/

          That's basically the method the glass shop will use.

          Seriously, have you gone to one for a quote yet?
        • Lee Leathers
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 8, 2004
            Wah.. my mind got to bogged down with how to actually do it, I just forgot
            that I probably can get someone else to do it for cheaper (once you factor
            in my learning curve).

            I will start calling tuesday or wensday, thanks! I totally forgot :)

            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 8, 2004
              I have cut one hole in glass and did it the wrong way. I used a grinding
              stone and removed all the glass in a 2" hole (1/4" glass). Wore out the
              drill on the job. A month or so later someone mentioned that I should have used
              pipe and grit.
              If by safety glass you mean laminated (with plastic in the middle), you
              might need extra grit when you hit the plastic, or you might want to change
              blades to something that cuts. The plastic is tough and rubbery, not rigid. If
              your glass has embedded wires in it, the grit should cut that as easily as the
              glass. If the glass is tempered, this should also be easy.
              If by repeatable, you mean precise, that depends on what is turning the
              pipe, and how accurately you can hold its position on the glass. This process
              does not require breaking glass, it is a slow erosion process. Keep it wet
              and well fed with grit. I would expect that the glass would only break if the
              grit dried out and heated the glass to much or seized.

              Hope this helps
              Pherd,
              Somers, CT

            • Tom Capon
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 10, 2004
                Has anyone ever tried those glass-drilling drill bits? The ones with the flat, pointed head?
                Like these:
                http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42829

                Rich Chandler <rchandler@...> wrote:

                Lee Leathers wrote:

                > Hmm. Will this method work for safety glass? And since I will have to be
                > drilling 12 holes per piece of glass.. Is this method repeatable? Or will I
                > be breaking glass :/

                That's basically the method the glass shop will use.

                Seriously, have you gone to one for a quote yet?

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Lee Leathers
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 10, 2004
                  WOW! you read my mind.. I was talking to my dad (he has the metal shop) and
                  he was telling me that getting 12 holes cut in glass would be pretty
                  expesnive.. . Sometimes he is off.. but he told me the guy to go see at
                  store such and such.. So he might be on.. Personally, I would rather be able
                  to cut them myself it would only take an hour or so to cut the holes (yeah..
                  I said 12holes per hour.. which sounds fine with me)

                  anyways, I am either looking at that.. or finding another material that is
                  less bendable than lexan.. or even would be up for mold making (but would
                  rather not do that later)

                  thanks-Lee

                  > Has anyone ever tried those glass-drilling drill bits? The ones with the
                  > flat, pointed head?
                  > Like these:
                  > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42829
                  >

                  > Rich Chandler <rchandler@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Lee Leathers wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Hmm. Will this method work for safety glass? And since I will have to be
                  >> drilling 12 holes per piece of glass.. Is this method repeatable? Or will
                  >> be breaking glass :/
                  >
                  > That's basically the method the glass shop will use.
                  >
                  > Seriously, have you gone to one for a quote yet?

                • Charles
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 10, 2004
                    Hello Tom,

                    Naw I just regular carbide tipped masonry bits, Slow speed, LOTS of
                    water for cooling. I would scratch the glass right where I needed
                    the center of the hole to be. I installed several door strikes for
                    mag locks that way on 1 1/4" thick solid glass doors. Keep in mind the
                    hole I was making was only 11/16.

                    Best Regards
                    Charles cthurston@...

                    --
                  • Lee Leathers
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 10, 2004
                      You think holes ~1 1/2 inch wide would be a problem using that method
                      Charles?
                      What speeds also?

                      thanks!!
                      Lee

                    • robbyrucker@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 10, 2004
                        I have had success making holes in non tempered glass by sandblasting them
                        through...Robby

                      • Charles
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 10, 2004
                          Hello Lee,

                          Not sure now it would work with holes that big... Get a scrap and try
                          it. Speed was about as slow as I could run a hand drill without
                          seeing each land go by.

                          Best Regards
                          Charles cthurston@...

                          --
                        • Lee Leathers
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 10, 2004
                            Will this work with any type of glass (safety glass, laminated, etc).. and I
                            just checked the hole size requirements.. I only need 1.1 inch wide.. Would
                            this be more feasable?

                            Sorry for keep going on and on about this :)

                            thanks Lee

                            > Not sure now it would work with holes that big... Get a scrap and try
                            > it. Speed was about as slow as I could run a hand drill without
                            > seeing each land go by.
                            >
                            > Best Regards
                            > Charles cthurston@...
                            >
                            > Wednesday, November 10, 2004, 7:44:13 PM, you wrote:
                            >

                            > LL> You think holes ~1 1/2 inch wide would be a problem using that method
                            > LL> Charles?
                            > LL> What speeds also?
                            >

                            > LL> thanks!!
                            > LL> Lee

                          • Alan King
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 11, 2004
                              Charles wrote:

                              > Hello Tom,
                              >
                              > Naw I just regular carbide tipped masonry bits, Slow speed, LOTS of
                              > water for cooling. I would scratch the glass right where I needed
                              > the center of the hole to be. I installed several door strikes for
                              > mag locks that way on 1 1/4" thick solid glass doors. Keep in mind the
                              > hole I was making was only 11/16.

                              I happened to see a boat show last night that had an idea that might work.
                              They ran the hole saw backwards to get through the gel coat without
                              splintering/flaking it. Similar idea may work for glass. Drill the pilot hole
                              without caring too much, since the pilot bit won't cut in reverse. Then just
                              run the hole saw through in reverse with good pressure. Teeth should flex the
                              glass and break it under them, without the catching and splintering of running
                              in forward. Even if it doesn't work it'd devolve into the pipe idea with some
                              grit and water, might be worth a try.

                              Alan