Subject: Re: A really big processor zoom/rotate

  • toddpierce1968
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
      Bill, Javier,

      I did think about this. And, with my cat-like reflexes (a week or two
      later) I have managed to come up with... well... a biological
      argument, which, as usual argues a point that I have no business
      arguing, but it still makes sense to me.

      Bill shot me down saying that higher life forms had bigger brains
      because they were just bigger, not because their being big meant that
      they had to deal with things on a different scale.

      A scale different from a fly's normal workspace.

      But, my knee-jerk assertion, like the Phoenix from the ashes, rises
      again.

      Bill, the higher lifeforms have Euclidian geometry built in. This
      'neural slave buffer' hanging off of our working memory, the buffer
      that handles visual stuff, instinctively handles all of these angles
      and depth perception and yes, Javier, zoom and rotate.

      In fact, a kitten, if placed on a piece of graph paper, upon which at
      some point a sort of descending wall is drawn (you know, a dropping
      perspective) will refuse to walk past that line. In fact, it will
      pause at the 'edge' and contemplate what is 'all the way down there at
      the bottom'.

      A fly will not, even if you scale something down to its size, be
      equipped to handle this level of complexity in its environment.
      Indeed, it doesn't have to. Nor do any big animals lack a decent
      amount of cortex dedicated to this task.

      So all big animals have Euclidian geometry built in. I'll assert that
      this is why they have enormous (peanut sized) brains. Our robots are
      big too.

      It would follow that the robots would also have to have Euclidian
      geometry built in as extremely primitive functionality. So primitive
      that it could be wired directly to working memory and generate reflex

      I don't exactly have a solution for you guys... I just wanted to vent
      my case. Hmmmm... oh... and prove that once again, the human has
      outsmarted the fly.

      -T

      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Javier Lopez Segura
      <jlopez2022@y...> wrote:
      > I think that one of the biggest problem is the zoom/rotate of images
      in order to recognize them.
      > Rotation and zoom are easy algorithms using trigonometry but waste
      too much CPU time.

      > ---------------------------------

    • Rich Chandler
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
        toddpierce1968 wrote:
        > I don't exactly have a solution for you guys... I just wanted to vent
        > my case. Hmmmm... oh... and prove that once again, the human has
        > outsmarted the fly.

        Well, except the fly will keep beating its head against a glass window trying to
        get out.
      • Rich Chandler
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
          Rich Chandler wrote:

          > toddpierce1968 wrote:
          > > I don't exactly have a solution for you guys... I just wanted to vent
          > > my case. Hmmmm... oh... and prove that once again, the human has
          > > outsmarted the fly.
          >
          > Well, except the fly will keep beating its head against a glass window trying to
          > get out.

          Doh! I misread that as outsmarted BY the fly....
        • Charles Holzschuh
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
            Hi I was wondering if anyone has any experience with
            paint ball markers (guns)? I hear they are controlled
            with a PIC chip, and they are reprogrammable
            (hackable). Is there a site for hacking them?

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • LJGeib@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
              Thes guys have done it.
              http://www.ottawarobotics.org/
              They switched to Nerf guns as being less dangerous, I guess

              Larry

              In a message dated 8/4/04 12:56:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              xolzscxux@... writes:
              Hi I was wondering if anyone has any experience with
              paint ball markers (guns)? I hear they are controlled
              with a PIC chip, and they are reprogrammable
              (hackable). Is there a site for hacking them?

            • Dave Hylands
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
                I think that they switched to nerf guns because nobody would let them
                use their space to host a competition :)

                > Thes guys have done it.
                > http://www.ottawarobotics.org/
                > They switched to Nerf guns as being less dangerous, I guess
                >
                > Larry
              • stephane641
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 6, 2004
                  Actually, we (as I'm part of one of the teams who built the original
                  paintball robot) only had to hack them to automate the firing of the
                  paintballs but there was no microprocessor in the original guns.

                  For more details check our clubs page (www.ottawarobotics.org) or my
                  personal page (http://robotics.no-ip.org).

                  Later,

                  --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, LJGeib@a... wrote:
                  > Thes guys have done it.
                  > http://www.ottawarobotics.org/
                  > They switched to Nerf guns as being less dangerous, I guess
                  >
                  > Larry
                  >
                  > In a message dated 8/4/04 12:56:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                  > xolzscxux@y... writes:
                  > Hi I was wondering if anyone has any experience with
                  > paint ball markers (guns)? I hear they are controlled
                  > with a PIC chip, and they are reprogrammable
                  > (hackable). Is there a site for hacking them?

                • Doug Leppard
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 7, 2004
                    Only the high end paintball guns have electronics in them, most are totally mechanical.

                    But with so many low end and cheap semi-automatics paintball guns it would not be too difficult to fire them via MCU.

                    Doug Leppard
                    Doug.Leppard@...

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 9, 2004
                      Yeah, the old one I had was purely mechanical.
                      It was a high-end one back then as it's all in metal and very sturdy.
                      We originally used a pneumatic piston as the actuator for pulling (in
                      our case "pushing") the trigger.

                      Later,

                      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Leppard" <DLeppard@c...>
                      wrote:
                      > Only the high end paintball guns have electronics in them, most are
                      totally mechanical.

                      > But with so many low end and cheap semi-automatics paintball guns it
                      would not be too difficult to fire them via MCU.

                      > Doug Leppard
                      > Doug.Leppard@c...

                    • David Ottomeyer
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 17, 2004
                        Maybe it's simply because A fly, being able to walk on
                        horizontal and verticle surfaces as well as being able
                        to...fly had no need to fear a cliff? ---