robot navigation videos

  • David P. Anderson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2004
      Hi

      The SR04 web page has been updated with some new videos
      of indoor and outdoor navigation and path following:

      http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robots/sr04

      Here is SR04 following a list of 4 way-points beginning at
      origin (0,0) to (0,120) to (120,120) to (120,0) and back to (0,0).
      This is a clock-wise route around a 10 foot square (40 feet total).
      The starting/ending coordinate is marked with a quarter:

      http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robots/mpeg/sr04_outdoor_sq_001x.mpg

      Looks like it missed the target way-point by about a foot.

      Here is the same pattern of four way-points arranged in a square, but
      this time there is an architectural divider between the second and
      third way-points. That is, the robot does not "know" about the divider,
      and must detect it and plot a course around it using its IR and SONAR

      http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robots/mpeg/sr04_sq_001x.mpg

      The divider forces the robot to retrace its steps back toward the
      first way-point in order to clear the obstruction and acquire the
      third target. There is a "dynamic obstacle" (me) between the third
      and fourth way-points, trying to prevent the robot from acquiring
      the final target. The origin/ending is marked with masking tape.

      The third video is also of the robot navigating among 4 coordinates,
      with an architectural divider between the first and second, a recycling
      bin between the second and third, and a trash can between the third
      and fourth way-points.

      http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robots/mpeg/sr04_sq_000x.mpg

      I've also been experimenting to see if the robot can stay on
      a long sidewalk by sensing the discontinuity between the
      concrete and surrounding grass (7.4 Mb):

      http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robots/mpeg/sr04_sidewalk_001ax.mpg

      Higher-resolution versions of the videos are available from the sr04 webpage.

      best,
      dpa
    • Chris Schur
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2004
        David, nice action videos, how many different speeds can you run from
        slow to fastest? (whats the resolution) The reason I ask is my
        priority arbitratin bot should be moving for the first time this
        weekend.

        Chris Schur

        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "David P. Anderson"
        <dpa@i...> wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > The SR04 web page has been updated with some new videos
        > of indoor and outdoor navigation and path following:
        >
        > http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robots/sr04
        >
        > Here is SR04 following a list of 4 way-points beginning at
        > origin (0,0) to (0,120) to (120,120) to (120,0) and back to (0,0).
        > This is a clock-wise route around a 10 foot square (40 feet total).
        > The starting/ending coordinate is marked with a quarter:
        >
        > http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-
        www/robots/mpeg/sr04_outdoor_sq_001x.mpg

        > Looks like it missed the target way-point by about a foot.
        >
        > Here is the same pattern of four way-points arranged in a square,
        but
        > this time there is an architectural divider between the second and
        > third way-points. That is, the robot does not "know" about the
        divider,
        > and must detect it and plot a course around it using its IR and
        SONAR

        > http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robots/mpeg/sr04_sq_001x.mpg
        >
        > The divider forces the robot to retrace its steps back toward the
        > first way-point in order to clear the obstruction and acquire the
        > third target. There is a "dynamic obstacle" (me) between the third
        > and fourth way-points, trying to prevent the robot from acquiring
        > the final target. The origin/ending is marked with masking tape.
        >
        > The third video is also of the robot navigating among 4 coordinates,
        > with an architectural divider between the first and second, a
        recycling
        > bin between the second and third, and a trash can between the third
        > and fourth way-points.
        >
        > http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robots/mpeg/sr04_sq_000x.mpg
        >
        > I've also been experimenting to see if the robot can stay on
        > a long sidewalk by sensing the discontinuity between the
        > concrete and surrounding grass (7.4 Mb):
        >
        > http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-
        www/robots/mpeg/sr04_sidewalk_001ax.mpg

        > Higher-resolution versions of the videos are available from the
        sr04 webpage.

        > best,
        > dpa
      • David P. Anderson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2004
          Hi

          Chris, the SR04 robot has a lookup table that translates between
          PWM% (0-100) and the HC11 E-CLOCK timing, which is used on the 6811
          to generate pulses for the H-Bridges. Measured full speed is about
          50 encoder ticks per 50 ms, and "low speed" (which I arbitrarily
          define as full/10) is about 5 ticks per 50 ms. So there are really
          only about 45 descrete measureable speeds between low and hi.

          Good luck this weekend!

          dpa